mtbr member

Disc brakes and horizontal dropouts (Troll/Avid)

So, I bought a Troll. Currently, I have a 160mm Avid disc on the back using the stock disc mounting bracket. In order to get the rotor lined up in the caliper, I had to move the rear axle to about middle of the way back in the rear drop out. I would have much preferred to have it shortened all the way so that it was secured at the innermost (shortest chainstay) location. Or secondly, to have a tensioner type device so that the axle can be secured in a consistent location. The problem I am worried about is that every time I remove the rear wheel, I will have to very carefully align the disc rotor inside the caliper. Another problem is that I am worried that braking forces, or pedaling forces, will shift the tire to one side, and the tire will rub on the chainstay.

So, two questions for you guys:
    1. Did you all have the same issues with installation, and has there been an issue with tire rubbing from shifting of the axle in the horizontal dropout?
    2. Is there a device that would fix this, or provide a consistent 'seat' for the axle to rest upon so that when I remove the rear wheel, it goes easily back in place?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disc brakes and horizontal dropouts (Troll/Avid)-troll-dropout-009a.jpg  

Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

They see me rolling.
    Jan 2013
    Looks like the adapter is backwards. Flipping it should allow the wheel to move forward in the dropouts while still allowing the brake to line up properly with the rotor.

Most Delicious
    Yeah, the R is for Rotation, not Rear. It would be clearer if they had used a curved arrow instead of a straight one.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    +3^^^

Never seen an adapter that doesn't have the arrow pointing towards the cable/hose/lever/rotation (however you want to look at it)

mtbr member
    Thanks a bunch, I will fix the issue pronto. (I just assembled this last night in my dark basement, and essentially went with label facing outwards, as all rotors have the label facing outwards if they are in the proper rotational direction.

Interestingly, it brakes quite nicely in this orientation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Its likely you'll benefit from a tugnut on the drive side or alternatively some monkey nuts on both sides.
    Small Parts | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
    Small Parts | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    FYI, after I put the disc brake adapter on correctly, everything lined up perfectly. No need for the Monkey Nuts I bought just in case.