mtbr member
    May 2009

Dirt Wizard vs Knard tread

Howdy folks- been scouring these forums for lots of info on the 29+ stuff. I am building up a 29+ front wheel for my 2014 El Mariachi.

The Krampus fork is on its way. I have an X9 front hub, and I was going to order the new Dually rim.

It seems obvious that the dirt wizard is significantly more aggressive tread pattern, but its also much smaller in volume. Does the larger volume + smaller tread of the Knard still keep bomber traction in sloppier conditions? I was hoping for the nice squish of the big 3" tire, but not if its going to suck through the wet winter months.

Anyone have some wet weather experience with the Knard?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ru-tang View Post
    Anyone have some wet weather experience with the Knard?
    I do. Don't find the Knard to be the best wet/slippery conditions tire. Plus the thin sidewalls make it difficult to get the air pressures low enough to help improve grip. From what I've seen/read, a lot of 29+ Knard users are waiting for the DW for this very reason. However, unless I am mistaken, the DW may not be out in time for this winter, so you may want to check on that first.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I emailed Eric at Surly and he's talking Spring.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I ran my Knard 120tpi in heavy rain this weekend. AWESOME even over the wet roots and rocks. A little skiddish in the silty mud, but to be expected.
    Yes, I had a hard time tying to run them tubless. Get the pressure too low...BOOM! Blew off the front rim twice. Gave up an bought a really good gauge. Running them frt/rear at 12psa and LOVING IT!
    Perfect number of bikes (n) + 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    I emailed Eric at Surly and he's talking Spring.
    That's what I figured **sigh**... thanks for the update.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I had issues with the Knard hooking up in wet, damp and "sticky" (think: two days after rain in tree covered forest) conditions. Played with tire pressures between 8 -15psi. The front tire would wash out (understeer) on me in aggressive riding. I was convinced it was the Knard until I talked with a bike tech that mentioned I should learn forward into the turn (vs. planting myself over the rear wheel) and *boom* she's hooked up every time. My psi sweet spot is 11psi up front, 15 in the rear... I am 205lbs.
    I still would rather have something more aggressive up front, like a knobby sidewall. But I love how fast the Knard rolls. So I will likely keep a Knard out back and when something a bit more aggressive comes along, I will try that up front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Haven't had much experience with the Knard in wet conditions, but traction is great for dry. I am somewhat hesitant to get the DW, as I'm sure it will have even more weight penalty. The 1,300g Knard is somewhat too much for me to get used to. It does well at what I use it for, so I am thinking of just using that for now. Besides, if a Surly employee is saying Spring, expect a MOE of 2-3 months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I rode on clean-but-wet rock over the weekend and was surprised at how well the Knards gripped, even on super steep and off-camber sections where I expected the tire to slip (Cedar Rock trail in Dupont State Forest). The tires do slip on muddy rocks and on muddy/wet roots but I have yet to find *any* tire that doesn't slip in those conditions.

If I were you I'd go ahead and get the Knard, it works very well in most conditions and you probably won't be able to get your hands on a 29+ Dirt Wizard before the Vernal Equinox anyway.