Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I do what I want

Dirt Rag - New Surly stuff

Breaking: New bikes from Surly, including a mini-fat?

Quality Bicycle Products' annual SaddleDrive dealer and media show begins today, and news is quickly leaking out about some new bikes from Surly.

These are the only photos we've seen so far, gathered from across the interwebs. Stay tuned for more detailed reports from our editor on the scene.

Straggler
    Folks have been asking for a disc-brake version of the CrossCheck for years, and it looks like this will finally be the year. The Straggler looks to share the same basic frame shape but will add mechanical disc brakes which are so-totally-hot-right-now. Look for a 700c version of the Knard tire to come with it and it looks like it sports a full Shimano Tiagra build kit. What you can't see here is the dropouts, but we have good reason to believe it's a completely new design.

E.C.R.
    QBP posted this one on it's Facebook page: a slightly modified version of the Krampus with extra braze-ons and a 2x drivetrain. Notice the triple braze-ons on the fork and down tube for Salsa Anything Cages (which are out of production and waiting on a redesign, I've heard) as well as a switch to the dropouts from the Ogre and Troll models. E.C.R. = Extreme Camping Rig?

Instigator
    While it's not a new name, this is a reincarnation of Surly's infamous big-boy bike. Don't mind the "surly" looking gentleman in the photo. It looks like it is built around 26x2.75 Knard tires, possibly a 26-inch version of the Rabbit Hole rims, and an oversized headtube for suspension forks. With that much clearance it should easily swallow a 650b wheel as well. Is it a baby fat bike? A hardcore hardtail trail bike? Dunno. Can't wait to see more.

Bonus
    QBP also posted a pic of what looks like the production version of the carbon Salsa Beargrease.

Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    That is a nice bike.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Deciding between the Straggler and the E.C.R. is going to be tough. Want both!

get down!
    ECR has straight headtube and looks less suspension corrected than the Krampus. Maybe replacing the current Ogre model?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The ECR looks, to my mind, like the Krampus took a Fargo out back and made a baby. It might be my dream bike. I'll stay tuned for more breaking news.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here's a picture of the Straggler dropout (from Urban Velo). Based on the slack chain, it looks like the wheel is not in it's normal position but being removed from the dropout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirt Rag - New Surly stuff-straggler-dropout.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    The ECR looks, to my mind, like the Krampus took a Fargo out back and made a baby. It might be my dream bike. I'll stay tuned for more breaking news.
    LOL - That's the product of Krampus on Ogre action...

I was expecting it to be called the KR-Ogre!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Straggler speaks to my soul. Kinda gay color, but I'm kinda gay so it's ok.

mtbr member
    I see a lot of Ogres for sale in the near future. Or not. Surly never disappoints though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    its....its like christmas. too beautiful. cant wait to ride these...

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Priest View Post
    Straggler speaks to my soul. Kinda gay color, but I'm kinda gay so it's ok.
    I am very not gay... and I'm not a huge fan of purple... but my first MTB ('95 schwinn) was a purple... this was back when Schwinn was making all the paints a bass boat shimmer color... so this purple tugs at me

this bike is making things difficult for me... I'm on the verge of ordering a disc trucker for a do everything bike... this puts a wrench in things... do I wait?... grrr lol
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It looks like the dropouts have two options for threading the adjuster screw. From the back for geared drivetrains, or through the front for SS drivetrains. Brilliant! Great lineup this year so far, and I don't think we've seen it all.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    2014 is turning out to be a huge year for many companies...I'm really excited for what Surly has to offer.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    I see a lot of Ogres for sale in the near future. Or not. Surly never disappoints though.
    Not me!
    Love my Ogre and wasnt interested in forking out for Knards repeatedly despite loving the look of the Krampus.
    My 2.35 Big Apples are weighty enough to push around to make me contemplate shrinking down to 2.00 Supremes and 2.00 Mondials.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    2.0 Mondials for the win

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That Straggler drop out is a mistake. Use as a geared bike, you will really have to reef down on the skewers so it doesn't slip. As a SS, reverse the setscrews (as they say in Bike Rumor story) lets you do away with a tugbolt, but wheel removal will take 10 minutes. swinging drops is the way to go. Surly being contrary.

mtbr member
    Bicycle Times also has a piece on the 2014 Surlys. Here's some of what they have to say about The Straggler.

"It comes in a sparkly purple paint job to call attention to how awesome it is. It will have slightly different geometry from the Cross Check—a tad lower bottom bracket drop, and a tad longer head tube for sizes 54cm and up. The size run is also spread out evenly in 2cm increments, with a 64cm largest size added."

First look: More details of new Surly bikes | Bicycle Times Magazine

I like that it has a tad longer HT than the CC. And while the BB height might be lower, I doubt it'll be as low as the LHT/DT.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Here's a picture of the Straggler dropout (from Urban Velo). Based on the slack chain, it looks like the wheel is not in it's normal position but being removed from the dropout.
    Hmmm...it has more mounting options on the fork to suggest a more light touring friendly bike but a traditional rear disc brake mount to contradict that. Unless there is some different angles and such on the rear drop out to make mounting a rear rack I'm not sure what the niche is here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

My thoughts on the new kids...

Straggler - Bah Humbug! The Cross Check is perfect just the way it is. But now the masses who don't know how to set up cantilever brakes can join in the fun. I guess with the geometry changes, its not exactly a disc-Check, so that soothes my ego somewhat. And it looks pretty awesome - a lot like a Singular Peregrine painted sparkly purple to my eyes. Anyway, this is a great bike for Surly to bring out just as gravel grinding is taking off and disc brakes are CX-legal. I predict that, despite the moniker, people will win some races on these. I can see many potential Vaya or alum Warbird buyer getting this instead.

Instigator - wow, how'd the Krampus get in the pen with the purebred British hardcore hardtails? This is a hell of a mutt. In a good way. But, seriously, how genius is it for Surly to not only do their (now standard) "invent a tire and build a bike around it" trick and hedge their bets with the new en vogue wheelsize. Its like they're hopping on the 650b bandwagon and flipping it off at the same time. Interesting. I could see a lot of these being built up with the 26x27.5 in the rear for cush and a more conventional 27.5 wheel/tire combo in the front for a lighter setup and more tire choice. I think the first Instigator was maybe a bit ahead of its time, at least on this side of the pond. But with the success of On One's 456 models and long travel hardtails like the Kona Honzo and DB Mason, I think American mountainbikers are finally ready for a bike like this.

ECR - Krampus' straight-laced brother. I think Surly was kind of hinting at a bike like this with the alternate fork for Krampus. So now they've gone and done the full Troll treatment. Pretty cool. I can see this being a better rack and pannier tourer than the Ogre - longer chainstays = more heel room; longer wheelbase = more stable. Ogre is still a more versatile bike, though.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Oh yeah, that 41mm Knard on the Straggler is freaking awesome! I can't wait to see how it stacks up against the BG Rock n Road and Clement X'plor MSO. This really is shaping up to be the Golden Age of Monstercross, isn't it?
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mwv View Post
    Hmmm...it has more mounting options on the fork to suggest a more light touring friendly bike but a traditional rear disc brake mount to contradict that. Unless there is some different angles and such on the rear drop out to make mounting a rear rack I'm not sure what the niche is here.
    Take a look at all the pictures again...there's a fender mount hanging off the back of the drop outs and rackmounts further up the seat stays.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Not me!
    Love my Ogre and wasnt interested in forking out for Knards repeatedly despite loving the look of the Krampus.
    My 2.35 Big Apples are weighty enough to push around to make me contemplate shrinking down to 2.00 Supremes and 2.00 Mondials.
    I'm gonna join rifraf on this one and say that I think it's a cool idea, but I'm not switching out my Ogre any time soon. The Ogre can take up to a 2.5" tire if you're creative enough, but comfortably takes a 2.3" tire with fenders, and I haven't really found a need for larger tires than that yet. Outside of that, I'm betting the main triangle remains the same size too, just like they did between the Troll and the Ogre, and that Revelate Design bags will be interchangeable. I think the major difference will be reworking head tube angle, longer stays, that it has to use a special crank and fits a wider BB, along with it being about 2 lb heavier than my Ogre as a stock build as far as the BikeRadar ECR build goes. You'll gain a half inch of tire spacing, which for most people probably won't make a lot of difference other than they can now run 2.6" tires with ease.

It'll probably feel more like a Fargo, which in my books is a bad thing, but a lot of people seem to like Fargo's so at the very least it'll float a their boats. Heel room will be better for us large footed fellows running panniers, but again, choosing the right rack makes that a non-issue on the Ogre, and that's not how I use mine. Other things that might be interesting are if they're going to start saying, "well, you can't really use a triple on this with 3.0" tires because..." like they do for the Moonlander, which means you're basically left with a Surly Fargo™ when it comes to gearing setup.

I also think, like the Ogre, there will be a shortage of these available to ride around in my local area, so I will never know how it compares unless I somehow magically find someone with one that is willing to let me test ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by mudrock View Post
    That Straggler drop out is a mistake. Use as a geared bike, you will really have to reef down on the skewers so it doesn't slip. As a SS, reverse the setscrews (as they say in Bike Rumor story) lets you do away with a tugbolt, but wheel removal will take 10 minutes. swinging drops is the way to go. Surly being contrary.
    Talk about one man's trash is another man's treasure! I really like the Straggler dropout in some ways; I wish I had set screws on the Ogre for starters as pulling the wheel out is a PITA, and I think it's a good design. I'll be interested to see whether it stands the test of time.

I have set screws on my Traitor Crusade SSCX bike, and wheel removal is fairly straightforward. Doing that on my Traitor isn't the toughest of assignments - the set screws really do come all the way out in the space of 20-30s or so. That bike stays reasonably clean though, so I can see your point - set screws getting gummed up with dirt and muck, seizing, or having to sit there and twiddle them all the way forward before you can remove the wheel when it's f*cking freezing outside... those are not on my to-do list.

FWIW, I have the Surly Ultra New hubs with the 5mm Allen skewers and they work great to hold the hub in place. Zero problems to date. What you say is true for lower quality skewers and especially QR skewers, but good quality skewers should hold it in place. It seems that XTR QR skewers have a pretty good reputation in that area too.

EDIT: Had a thought about the set screws. If they design the set screw right you may only have to unscrew it a few times to remove the entire screw - all this time we were assuming that the entire shaft is threaded, which isn't entirely necessary.

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Take a look at all the pictures again...there's a fender mount hanging off the back of the drop outs and rackmounts further up the seat stays.
    Ok, makes more sense...thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Can anyone hypothesize when roughly these new beasts will be orderable? How soon did the Krampus, Ogre, Disc Check etc hit the shops after their announcements. Especially with relation to European availability would be lovely if someone could give me a guesstimate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast