mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Derailleur+brake cable question

Hi:
    I'm attempting to build a Cross Check from the frame up. First time building a bike. Here are some of the relevant specs:

FSA front der.
    Shimano XT rear der.
    Shimano 11-32 cassette
    Dura-Ace 9spd bar end shifters
    Avid Shorty 4 cantis

My noob question: what kind of shifter-brake cables do I use? Road or MTB? Combination of both? Does it matter? Finally, any suggestions as to brand/make?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Shifter cables are universal and have a cylindrical end. Brake cables differ though, but most have a double end, a road end (stepped) and a mtb end (cylindrical). If you're using traditional drop bar levers, you'll need the road end.

The top one is the road end, and the one you need. As for cables, I like Jagwire cables/housing personally, its cheap and comes in different colors. If you bought the bar end shifters new, they should come with cables and housing though.

Good luck with your build. Don't forget about bicycletutor.com and the Park tool repair site, both are great resources to help you along the way. Be sure to post pics when you're done!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    if you are building it with shifters, you may need the adapter to convert the down tube shifter mounts to cable stops. i paid $5 for mine. any reputable bike shop should have them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyslacks
    Hi:
    I'm attempting to build a Cross Check from the frame up. First time building a bike. Here are some of the relevant specs:

FSA front der.
    Shimano XT rear der.
    Shimano 11-32 cassette
    Dura-Ace 9spd bar end shifters
    Avid Shorty 4 cantis

My noob question: what kind of shifter-brake cables do I use? Road or MTB? Combination of both? Does it matter? Finally, any suggestions as to brand/make?

Thanks!
    Worth noting for safety:
    Don't use shifter housing for brakes as the way the housing is made means it can split under the additional load.
    You won't want to use brake housing for the shifters as it's more compressible than gear housing and your shifting will suffer.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for all the info/tips. Looks like I have some reading to do.

Prior to putting together this build, I don't think I ever gave a thought to cables/housings,etc.

And, although it'll probably be a while, I'll post a pic in the cross-check thread once it's all done.