SS in CO

decals coming off my xcheck with water...

I've only had my xcheck for 3 years (bought new in 2010), and today while I was using the hose to wash it off, almost all of the decals just fell off the bike. has anyone else had this issue? I've never used a high-power sprayer, just the regular water hose and a rag to wipe down.

I'm not terribly upset, because I'm kinda diggin the blank frame, but I thought I'd see if this was a commonality with other Surly's.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    I haven't heard of this happening before...maybe this is your frame telling you it's time for fresh powdercoat and some new decals

SS in CO
    ha...but I love the robin's egg blue! it looks really sharp w/out the graphics, so I think I'll just wait on getting new decals for it.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    About half of the decals have fallen off mine. I bought it new in about "07 I think. It's never been washed, but hauling it on a hitch rack in the rain has caused them to come off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My trolls decals fell off with the first "hose off", and i have low water pressure!

mtbr member
    Every time I wash my 2012 Necro Pugsley, more of the decals fall off. They are dark grey on black, so I really didn't buy it for the flashy decals anyways and if they fall off eventually, it's all good. They don't clear coat over them, so really it sortof is amazing they don't come off sooner.
    I just use a hose and a rag too, not high pressure. Cold water on a sometimes cold frame? I dunno really.

SS in CO
    huh, I guess it's just something that happens. oh well. I'm diggin the way the bike looks with nothing but the head badge saying it's a Surly. so I'll rock it like this until my mind changes.

J.

mtbr member
    I know I probable shouldn't but I have used a pressure washer on my bikes. I do avoid the decals and the decals on the powder coat are less than impressive for longevity.
    I know I can buy some new ones if desired but I rather have a bomber powder coat finish than fancy ass decals. But yeah its a bummer....I wish they stuck on better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I thought it was the Pedros Bike Lust that was causing the decals to fall off of my bikes.