mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Crosscheck sizing for the wife...

So guys,

I know that this is probably the 100th time somebody asks for some sizing advice, but hey... I plan to build a crosscheck for the wife, set up as a commuter, with a surly open bar. She is 5`5" with a 33.4" inseam. Any advice? Please note that she will not use this bike for cycle cross, so a size that allows a more comfortable sitting position would be appreciated. Thanks for your help...after all, happy girl-easy life.

Beer is my spirit animal
    Get her a basic fit. Some shops will even apply the cost of a fit towards the purchase of a bike if you decide to get one from them.

A fit will dial in frame size, saddle height, stem length, bar width and position, etc. and should take into account riding style, injury history, and the fact that it will be a commuter rather than a race bike. Tactile experience will help a lot. Have her test ride one if you can. Fit is everything.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    well this is were the problem kicks in, which is that its supposed to be a surprise, so for obvious reasons I cant do that...

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by brettsportler View Post
    well this is were the problem kicks in, which is that its supposed to be a surprise, so for obvious reasons I cant do that...
    Surly probably lists a general stand-over for their frames, if she's 5'3" she's maybe good with a 44 cm frame or a 46. See if you can arrange for the shop to take some time with her for fitting after you've given her the bike, and make sure they're going to make it easy to exchange frames if she winds up with the wrong size. The best bike you can surprise her with is one that fits and will be comfortable for her to ride.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Does she currently ride a bike that you can take a top-tube measurement from?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    @Spinny
    believe it or not, but there is not one single Surly dealer in Switzerland, which means I have to get the frame mailordered; so unfortunately I w ont be able to just exchange...

@Hardy
    she has an old MTB with a 58cm TT, and this is definetly to far "stretched out".

Im leaning towards the 46cm. With some extra spacers in front an the open bar, it should give a comfortable ride. Plus, its probably easier to make a bit too small frame fit than a bit too big frame...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So guys,

I know that this is probably the 100th time somebody asks for some sizing advice, but hey... I plan to build a crosscheck for the wife, set up as a commuter, with a surly open bar. She is 5`5" with a 33.4" inseam. Any advice? Please note that she will not use this bike for cycle cross, so a size that allows a more comfortable sitting position would be appreciated. Thanks for your help...after all, happy girl-easy life.
    This can't be right, is it? That is A LOT of leg! I think you made a mistake somewhere. I think.

mtbr member
    Compromising the fitting process to give the bike as a gift is a bad idea. The same lesson has been learnt 100 times on many bike forums. If you are not 100% on the fit already don't surprise her with a bike you have to special order in.

If it doesn't fit you'll feel bad and she'll try and make it work no matter what just so it doesn't end up being a total fail. Nobody wins.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzbycks View Post
    This can't be right, is it? That is A LOT of leg! I think you made a mistake somewhere. I think.
    Well, Im used to the metric system, so I quickly had to recalculate, but if Im not entirely wrong thats what 165cm and 83cm inseam just is. Maybe Im just a lucky guy

mtbr member
    I am 5'8" I can't remember my inseam, but I went with a 52, and sometimes I wish I had gone with the 54 cm. At the end of the ride though I am still smiling and I am sure unless someone just walks up to me and says hey lets trade your 52cm for my 54cm I am gonna just keep rollin on this one
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.