mtbr member

CrossCheck size.What's mine?

Hi guys, I'm next to get a Surly CC. I have some doubts about the correct frame size.
    I'm between 5'8 - 5'9 tall, 33" inseam, 25.5" arm lenght.
    I did a biomechanic check and my ideal frame size would see 55 top tube lenght, 53 seat tube lenght, 110mm stem lenght.(measurements suggested)
    I check the Surly Geometry and I would be between the 52 and 54 size.
    I don't know if the 52 is too small or the 54 is too large for me, any suggest?
    How the CC would fit compared to a road bike frame same size?
    Do the CC fit smaller than the size Surly declares or larger?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am just right about your size - 5'9'', 30'' inseam and I'm comfortably riding a 54 cm CC.

They say to size down on CX bikes. I also ride a 55cm Bianchi track bike and a 18'' pugsley

I hope that helps. If possible, you should get some road time behind one before purchasing anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by western high plains View Post
    I am just right about your size - 5'9'', 30'' inseam and I'm comfortably riding a 54 cm CC.

They say to size down on CX bikes. I also ride a 55cm Bianchi track bike and a 18'' pugsley

I hope that helps. If possible, you should get some road time behind one before purchasing anything.
    Ty, unfornately I can't try it before so i have to decide by web. What stem lenght do you use?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Very short.

I prefer a more upright position so I'm using a ~60mm stem with a bit of rise in conjunction with dirt drops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was in a similar bind as you. I'm 5'9" but have a 30-31" inseam (longer torso, i guess). Debated between a 52 and a 54. Finally picked up the 54 even though it's a bit longer in the TT than I'd prefer. I'm working around that with a shorter stem (9cm).

If I could tolerate a bigger drop between the saddle-handlebar height, I think I would've gone with a 52. I think there are compromises either way, for me anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^agree.

Compromise either way. I am the exact height as you. I went with a 52 cause they say size down for CX. However, I wear size 9 shoes and I experience some slight toe overlap w/out fenders. With fender, definitely overlap.

However, I couldn't imagine CX with a 54. I also run On One Mary bars so I am more upright on the 52 for my around town rides. Also, I couldn't imagine a 54 in the singletrack. Most of the time I like to take detours canal paths and singletrack. I've even ridden a how XC ride with it cause I lent my mtb to a newb friend to try out mtbing.

So yea, I don't regret the 52 cause it sizes up just right for what I do on it but the toe overlap is annoying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I agonized over the same thing. Right between a 52 and 54. I eventually bit the bullet and got a 54. It fits like a glove, no toe overlap, and just the right fit in the drops with an FSA shallow bar. It is my most ridden bike right now, and Have toyed with building another one. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Very nice looking classic ride!