mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Cross Check trepidation

Ordered a cross check frameset from Surly a few weeks ago, nice light blue colour, nice brooks saddle and matching bar tape - going to be my commuter, knocking about bike. Not turned up yet some 'minor delays' in shipping. In the meantime the cross check on the Surly website has gone from this:

Cross Check trepidation-surly-cross-check-robins-egg-blue.jpg

To this; a sort of rancid and festering snot green new season colour

Cross Check trepidation-cross_check_hospital_foam.jpg

What were they thinking of? - I really hope it doesn't show up with 2013 piss take paint job. How much does it cost these days to get a powder coat done?

CS2
    mtbr member
    Really, that is the coolest color they offer next the flat yellow on the Pug.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    lol - each to their own - I really like the robin egg blue - the hospital foam green as they call leaves me cold - maybe I should have stuck with black

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    lol - each to their own - I really like the robin egg blue - the hospital foam green as they call leaves me cold - maybe I should have stuck with black
    The blue is nice. I've seen several in person. It looks very traditional especially with a Brooks saddle. Have you tried ebay? The nicest looking color I've seen on a CC is red. I believe they used to offer it when the CC had a 1" fork. So, that's been quite a while ago. Most powder coater charge between $100 - $150 for a single color. Good luck on the search.

Custom User Title
    May 2005
    I have seen the blue, not really my color...but then neither is that green/yellow...my CC is your basic black...now a Surly in Chum Bucket Red...thats a good color..

I got my last frame blasted and powder coated....$75 bucks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The new Dark Blue is pretty nice. Available as frame only too.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sven98 View Post
    The new Dark Blue is pretty nice. Available as frame only too.

Is that the same blue that the LHT has? If it is, then it's a really classy color. Still the hospital green is kind of different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Surly calls it Dirty Dark Blue

Blog | Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    The blue is nice. I've seen several in person. It looks very traditional especially with a Brooks saddle. Have you tried ebay? The nicest looking color I've seen on a CC is red. I believe they used to offer it when the CC had a 1" fork. So, that's been quite a while ago. Most powder coater charge between $100 - $150 for a single color. Good luck on the search.
    Red was the 3rd color offering. The 1in headset version which was the 1st was a dark blue, then came the bean green 2nd(some had Reynolds 631 stickers, some had CroMo), they had 1 1/8 in headsets, then the 3rd color offering was the red one. Black was the 4th.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I have the red 2004 version. Really want the blue 2010 version instead. Nicer dropouts and actual bosses on the downtube so you can mount barrel adjusters or old style sticks for shifting.

That said, sure is a great bike no matter what. It's my daily commuter and rides so smooth and comfortable.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    In general I am far overdosed on blue in my life but I actually don't mind the TC blue frame that I have.

Heck I don't mind my 'utility blue' LHT which is in a form of the color that I really hate. But it's all about the ride and it gives me an excuse to cover it w/ stickers and never wash it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just built out a Robins Egg Blue CC with mango Chris King goodies and SRAM Force. What a great do-it-all bike. With the cross wheels/tires I'm having a blast exploring the gravel roads around my house and with the road wheels/tires it's a great carefree alternative to my Madone.

Agree that the sinus infection green this year is an odd color but you could have fun with it.

mtbr member

Colors

Quote Originally Posted by sven98 View Post
    Surly calls it Dirty Dark Blue

Blog | Surly Bikes
    Wasn't it originally called Blark Due?

I was at a shop yesterday and saw both of the new colors and they look great. I must say though, the Blark Due is probably my all-time favorite color they've ever done. Well, that and Dark Black.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    the Blark Due is probably my all-time favorite color they've ever done. Well, that and Dark Black.
    Is there another kind of black?

mtbr member

Black

Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Is there another kind of black?
    In Surly's world there is. There's Blacktactular, Space, Dark Black and probably others that I can't recall.

Steamrollers used to come in "Mef Teef."

Seriously, the blue CCs look really nice. I like the old grayish blue LHTs from a few years ago and DT green is really nice.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    The new yellow/green colour is stunning in person. The photos don't do it justice. It's one of the best colours Surly has ever done, hands down. If it shows up at your door, I can almost guarantee you'll like it in person.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am thinking of buying a 2013 Crosscheck in Hospital Foam just to hang onto because I like the colour so much. OP's opinion doesn't land with me.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    I am thinking of buying a 2013 Crosscheck in Hospital Foam just to hang onto because I like the colour so much. OP's opinion doesn't land with me.
    My LBS just sent out an email that the green frame were in stock. Alas, no 54CM though.