I <3 29ers

Cross Check suck for climbing?

Maybe it's just me, but compared to the rest of my stable - Misfit Psycles diSSent, Karate Monkey and Kona Blast - I just can't seem to get up a hill anywhere near as efficiently and effectively (and i'd even say funly lol) when i'm on my CC.

Does the geometry really lend itself to this effect that much or ... ?

I'm not used to climbing hills on a road bike so I don't have a comparison. Been a good few years since i've been on a skinny-wheeled bike.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Depends on the gearing and how strong your legs are

mtbr member
    Mine climbs fine, but I'm running wide bars (midge), fat tyres (fire cross 45s) and a mountain cassette (34T). i wouldn't expect a typical CX set-up to climb like an MTB.
    I find technical descents more of a problem as with the long TT it's hard to hang off the back of the seat.
    The photo below was part of a 100km ride here in New Zealand called The Motu. That section is about 25km of constant climbing on gravel roads!

Climbing

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, mine climbs great! I run a compact crankset (34x50) and a mountain cassette (11-32), and it'll get me up nearly any hill I want to ride up, including moutain bike trails. I run 46cm bars (Salsa Cowbells, best drops I've used) and a 130mm stem on a 62cm frame (I'm 6'5"). I often ride it on a trail that I also MTB on, and I actually think it climbs quicker than the MTB (Salsa El Mariachi). Descending on MTB trails is pretty brutal, but hey, it's a 'cross bike, it's a bit out of its element on gnarly MTB descents...
    If you haven't ridden a drop-bar bike in a while, it probably feels pretty awkward. You'll get used to it though.