mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Cross Check Sizing Question

Hey everyone,

I'm just getting back into cycling after a long absence and loving it. I recently purchased a Surly Cross Check. I've been doing a lot of commuting and riding and am planning on a short tour later this year.
    My question is about the size of the cross check that I purchased. I am about 5'8" and have a 29.5" inseam. My LBS is amazing and I trust them totally, but I'm worried that the 50cm they said was perfect for me is too small. I'm wondering if I should have gotten a 52cm. The guy who fitted me was pretty much my size and also rides a 50cm Cross Check, but claimed to have struggled to decide between the 48 and the 50 when he bought his.

I've got about 300 miles on it over the past month. So far, aside from some sore muscles and dead hands from a death grip, I haven't had too many problems aside from some heel strike and toe overlap, which I don't think would be fixed by the size.

I tend to overthink things like this, so I apologize in advance if this is really no big deal. My main concern is that as I build it up to my liking, I'll run into more problems, or as I get to longer distances, I'll run into more problems.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well I feel like an idiot - after doing some searching on this forum, I found lots of links to cross check sizing posts. Sorry about putting another one up there! This website says I'm right on.

Total Bike Online Catalog

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    FWIW, i'm 5'8" but with 31" inseem, i just bought a 52, it fits fine, a 50 would be much too small. also depends on what bars you run, my last CC, when i had a 52 it was fine with drop bars but when i changed out to flat bars, i reckon i could have gone up to a 54.