Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cross Check sizing

Hello,

I'm currently thinking about building a Cross Check.
    Main uses are going to be ocasional touring, commuting, trails and general exploring.

I am an air under 6'1 tall (184cm) with a 33" (85cm) inseam. I am going to use my favourite stem lenght, 90mm, with Salsa Cowbell handlebars.

Which size is recommended? 56 or 58cm? I fear that the 56cm headtube is a little short and that the 58cm standover is a little too tall on singletrack.
    Any help and shared experiences woudl be greattly apreciated.

By the way, if I go ahead, this is going to be my first time building canti brakes, so I am a total noob with them. Are the cable stops included with the frame?

Thanks

PS: for reference, I ride a 20" Pugsley right now, and like the fit

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    hello Ze_Zaskar,

i'm 183cm tall with 89cm inseam and ride the 56 cc frame with a 90mm stem and drop bars.
    that works fine for me because i use it as a touring bike and don't like to be stetched out that much. the only thing that is not perfect is the toe overlap with 40c tires. but i don't think that would make a big difference with the 58 frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Im the exact same dimensions as you, 6,1 33 inseam. I was waffling between a 58 and a 60. I choose the 60 and paired it with a 90mm stem and 46cm cowbells. It was a tiny bit too long for me but the standover was awesome, even on mild singletrack. I ended up selling this bike for soemthing else. If I were to do it over again, I would choose a 58 instead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check sizing-cc.jpg  

Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    I'd suggest the 58. I'm 6 ft and ride a 56 with 120 mm stem, though with a good amount of rise. I also ride mine combined for singletrack, light touring and commuting. if i had it to do over again, i would probably go with a 58. the 56 gives a little more stand over, but i've never really felt like the extra standover was that much of an asset off road. also, if you go with the 58, you will have less toe overlap issues, which can be a little annoying, especially on tight singletrack. either way, awesome bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check sizing-imag0895.jpg  

mtbr member

Cross Check sizing

I would also suggest the 58 given your uses. If you were going to do any racing, the 56 could be a consideration. However, while your preference for 90mm stems is good to know, you might want to be open to what length is appropriate and feels good on this bike once you get it built up, and not just slap it on because it works on another bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help guys, I'll chose the 58cm. I guess the taller headtube of the 58 will also help to get a more trail friendly position.

Regarding the frame construction, is the Cross Check as tough as a regular MTB? I am asking this because I always saw it as a really tough bike, but then I read some opinions on this thread:

Broken Cross Check... Any advice???

Thanks again for the help

FAT-BIKE.COM Groupie
    Good choice going with the 58cm frame. Cross-Checks can handle quite a bit of abuse, but they aren't what I'd call "mtb tough". Yes you can ride on somewhat rough single track, but the tubing isn't made for straight up mtb'ing.
    "You don't cross my ***** line, I don't cross your ***** line".
    - James Lahey Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor

mtbr member
    Are the Stragglers any better in the toughness department?

I would happly go with a LHT, but the vertical dropouts turn me off.
    I had too many derailleur faillures to go with an "un-singlespeedable" bike again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Are the Stragglers any better in the toughness department?

I would happly go with a LHT, but the vertical dropouts turn me off.
    I had too many derailleur faillures to go with an "un-singlespeedable" bike again
    What kind of riding are you planning on? I ride my Cross Check on single track and I ve been known to jump of curbs and hit stairs with it too. I weigh over 200 lbs and its plenty strong for that. If, you are really worried about strength and want a Surly you could use a Karate Monkey or and Ogre for a Monster Cross build???
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    I have never worried about my cc frame not being tough enough off road. i think the types of riding you would do on a cyclocross bike on singletrack (meaning rarely or never leaving the ground) isn't going to be abusive enough to cause it any damage.

Lots of people riding CCs on this thread (one of my favorites on mtbr!)
    Cross Bikes on Singletrack - Post Your Photos

mtbr member
    When I say "trails", I speak of singletrack, the kind you do with any crosscountry hardtail

mtbr member
    Another question,

Since I am going to ride a fair amount of singletrack, with 42 or 45mm tires, what kind of tires do you think are the best?

Cantis look really good and are suposed to work well with mud, but are they that weak, and hard to setup?

Mini v-brakes look a clever solution and are cheap, but do they really work with road levers?

Regular v-brakes seem to be a safe bet and I can setup them close-eyed, but they look out of place on the bike, don't you think?

mtbr member
    I use 700x40 kenda happy mediums and have loved them for mixed terrain riding. probably not good in mud and looser/ sandy terrain. I have found using a mini-v up front to greatly help with hand fatigue issues while riding singletrack. work fine with road levers. i use the cheap tektro ones for around $15.

mtbr member
    Is the top ot the tire close to the cable cross?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Is the top ot the tire close to the cable cross?
    yeah, it's pretty close. if you were to run fenders, you would need to notch or cut them to make it fit. didn't ride today, but will try to remember to post a pic of the clearance.

mtbr member
    Thanks,

A picture will be a nice help

It seems to me that a Karate Monkey or Ogre may be a better choice or at least a consideration. I've got a CC and do take it down singletracks occasionally. It does ok, but it's really noodley and not fun going down the buff rocky parts on 40mm tires. My Karate Monkey with 2" tires is much more fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    It seems to me that a Karate Monkey or Ogre may be a better choice or at least a consideration. I've got a CC and do take it down singletracks occasionally. It does ok, but it's really noodley and not fun going down the buff rocky parts on 40mm tires. My Karate Monkey with 2" tires is much more fun.
    I agree. I tried taking my CC on one of the singletrack trails I usually do on my MTB and it was just terrible. And, I had 45c tires.

mtbr member
    yeah, maybe this thread should have been prefaced with the disclaimer that if you want the experience of riding a cross bike on singletrack, a CC is a great option. I personally really like riding my CC on singletrack, but it is a very different experience than riding my MTB on the same trails. For me, that's cool because it keeps me from getting bored and is a bit of an extra challenge. but it goes, up till now, without saying that a cross bike is going to be a way different ride on singletrack than a purpose built mtb.

mtbr member
    Maybe I should clarify that I don't want in any way to emulate a true mtb with a CC. A CX bike is waht it is and that's it.
    Bu I see no reason not to smooth things a little, that why the 45mm tires and the v-brake questions

mtbr member
    Yes go with at least a 58. I'm 5'12" and have the 58cm CC with a 120 stem. Its a hint long but i slid the seat forward a bit and its all good now. For the 6'1" guys a 58 may be the best choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check sizing-100_0234.jpg  

mtbr member
    Ok, it's official, I'll get a Cross Check

Biggest doubt remain to be with the brakes.
    The current questions are:

a) will regular v-brakes interfere with the installation of the rear rack (Tubus Cargo or Vega)?

b) would the cross cable of mini v-brakes touch the big 42 or 47mm tires?

c) are cantis (Tektro CR720) that hard to install?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My wife has Single Digit 7s and a Tubus Logo on her CC with no issues.

mtbr member
    I'll go with the Tektro CR720, if not just to try something different.

One more question, the front derailleur. My crankset will be 22-32-44(or46). I'm using Dura Ace bar end shifters (friction FD) and would like to go for down swing for durability's sake.
    However, my supplier is not stocking any Shimano road triple FDs, and I'm afraid a mtb FD would look awful and have clearance issues (tire, chainstays and bottle bolts). Do you think a road double FD would work?

Thanks for all the help so far

mtbr member
    So know I have all the setup figured out... except for the frame...
    I'm more and more undecided between the Cross Check and the LHT...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast