mtbr member

Cross Check sizing

I am going to order my Cross Check this week. After doing some research I am pretty sure I need either a 52 or 54 cm? I am 5'8" with a 31'ish inseam. Am I in the right ball park?
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am 5' 9" with a 32.5 pbh and I agonized over my CC sizing. I compared it with my LHT and road bike top tube, standover, etc.It was the best way to determine size for me. I was lucky enough to test ride one to be sure, and end up with a 54 with a 120 mm stem. I may shorten to 110 mm, but it fits like a glove. The 52 was just small, with some serious toe overlap with platform pedals. It took no time at all to feel at home and know I made the right decision. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing that with me! BTW how do you like your Cross Check? I plan on using it to supplement my Mountain Bike riding, I don't have much time this year so I figure I ll just try and commute twice a week to keep on top of the cardio and to keep ye'ole beer belly at a minimum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm 5'10" , 32" inseam and have a 54c CC. I run a short, steep stem and it fits me pretty
    well. I do think the TT is a little long for me though. Sounds like a 52 might be a better fit for you. I also ride a 55c Bianchi that fits me perfectly with a longer, zero rise stem for reference sake. With a 31" inseam you will have no standover especially with big fat cross
    tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Like many Cross Check riders, I use it for everything. My LHT has become the long touring, kid hauler, grocery getter, pretty much my choice for something car related. The CC does my fast road ride, cross racing, light tour, dirt road/ gravel grinder epics, commuting, charity rides, you get the idea. It is my third Surly (Pug, LHT, and CC) and it changes to suit my mood. Change the tires, and you have a whole new realm of options. When the zombie apocalypse happens, I am pretty sure I can ride out of it on a Surly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    5'8" with a 32" inseam here. I bought a 52 at the recomendation of the shop and wish I would have got a 54. I needed some spacers under the stem and a little longer stem to get the fit pretty good. The only real issue I have is toe overlap, it is a real pain to work around on trails and much worse with fenders.

mtbr member
    Toe overlap? I have a dumb question are you guys riding with clipless pedals? I only ask cause I have toe overlap on my mt. bike when I ride flat pedals but my foot position is "more better" when I have my egg beaters on the bike and toe overlap is not an issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No toe overlap issues on my cross check with fenders, platform or spd pedals.

Since its a sizing thread, I'm 5'11", 31.5 inseam, and ride a 56cm

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am 5'8", 30" pants inseam, 54cm CC w/ 100mm stem

Sometimes I can whack my toe on the full fender, but seldom contact the tire. (I have found my foot clean on the opposite side of the fender, I do a lot of s - l - o - w riding although I have flopped the rear hub back to the freewheel side at least)

mtbr member
    Just pulled the trigger, I talked it out with my local bike shop and we think the 52 will be my best fit. I ordered the 2011 blue factory build, I ll let you guys know what I think hopefully pretty soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm 5'7 with an 80cm PBH. I have a 52cm Crosscheck and it fits well. I typically ride a 54 or 55 in other bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by middcrossrx
    When the zombie apocalypse happens, I am pretty sure I can ride out of it on a Surly.
    Couldn't post my zombie picture so I made it my avatar.

I ordered my Cross Check, so I ll be riding a Surly too...