Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I put together a post with all the different builds of my CC I had pictures of. I ended up with 17 different configurations:

Bikes and Playgrounds: Ways to Build a Surly Cross Check
    Seat_boy, well done! I feel like my CC has been through as many variations. It's such an incredibly versatile bike. Mine just turned 7yrs old and while it's set-up as a singlespeed with an Open Bar, I'm thinking of going back to drops and gears. It just seems like every 3 to 6 months I need to change things up.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eredinger View Post
    First ride on the new Cross Check this weekend. Need to change out a few things like seat and break levers but overall really happy with how the bike fits and rides. Also dig the color!

Attachment 837428

Attachment 837429
    Congrats on your fine new ride!

Just today I happened to see one of these green cross checks in real-life for the first time. It is a fabulous color! For some reason the web photos don't do it justice. But up close and in person it is so right. Makes me want.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Here is my cross check.

Single speed with Profile spline drive cranks
    Knard 41 tires

A God Without A Name
    that crank is the exact configuration I have in mind for my straggler. it just looks so right.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    that crank is the exact configuration I have in mind for my straggler. it just looks so right.
    best crank set ever imo. I have one on my Krampus as well. Beefy, American made, and clean looking. My CrossCheck is running the 45t Profile Elite Spline Drive Sprocket.

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_w_sage View Post
    best crank set ever imo. I have one on my Krampus as well. Beefy, American made, and clean looking. My CrossCheck is running the 45t Profile Elite Spline Drive Sprocket.
    I look at it as the last crank I'll need to buy, as it is so over the top strong for a commuter. but it also just has a look about it. like it was built with the frame. steel tubes to steel tubes.

mtbr member
    Cross-Check night ops with Philips Saferide and Knog Boomer:

mtbr member
    These tires seem like a great choice for the CC if you're looking for something that has larger volume but isn't belted and designed for touring and or commuting.

Soma C-Line Tire 700c x 38mm | Ocean Air Cycles
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    These tires seem like a great choice for the CC if you're looking for something that has larger volume but isn't belted and designed for touring and or commuting.

Soma C-Line Tire 700c x 38mm | Ocean Air Cycles
    Interesting. My first reaction upon seeing the picture was that it looks awful lot like a Pasela. Sure enough - I read - it is a Pasela, on a wider, more supple, casing. At twice the price of an ordinary Pasela, I wonder if its twice as good? I do dig the red color, though. Black is so boring.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Panaracer makes a number of tires using the Pasela mold. Some are sold by Panaracer and others by Soma and Compass Bicycles. The compounds are apparently different for each tire.

I'm a fan of Paselas, I used 700x32 Paselas pretty exclusively for 2yrs a few years back. The steel belted ones are a good price especially considering how inexpensive they are and how nicely they roll. My concern about the C-Lines is that they share the same problem that made me move beyond Paselas, weak sidewalls.

mtbr member
    here's my CC with my buddy's LHT on a camping trip last weekend. overall rode pretty good loaded, but on some of the steeper descents, i got to thinking i'd like some low rider front racks to balance the load a little.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-imag0956-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yep. Unfortunately, supple = weak sidewall. I suppose one's mileage may vary as to whether that's a problem or not. I'm running 32 mm Paselas myself and love them. I flatted on a nail once, but have never had a problem with sidewall cuts.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member

New Tires.

Cross Check pics please-img_1654.jpg
    Just added a set of Rock 'N Roads to my new Cross Check. Can't wait to try these out.

mtbr member
    You're going to love those. Easily one of the best upgrades I've done.
    Now With Avatar!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    love that colour

mtbr member

Exploring...

Spent some time getting to know the Cross Check today on unimproved park roads. Awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post

Spent some time getting to know the Cross Check today on unimproved park roads. Awesome bike.
    off topic, but what park is that? i'm in nati, and don't think i've ridden it from the looks of it. enjoy the CC, my favorite bike!

mtbr member
    This is in East Fork state park, some of the old roads that crisis cross the area. Surprisingly there is a ton of pavement left, just completely in disrepair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

First Post

Cross Check pics please-photo.jpg

2009 Surly Cross Check -- 58 -- Origin 8 Gary bar
    Homemade Frame Pack

--Creeped these forums long enough without posting

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It's been a while since I've been on the Cross Check! I've had my eye on the Straggler, but i can't justify having both and I really don't want to sell the Cross
    Check

Looks like winter is finally here, which motivated me to put the 1.9 knobbies on. Also threw on a shorter stem with more rise. So much more comfortable, I don't care if it looks like a dad bike.