Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
Results 1,301 to 1,326 of 1326
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Boardwalk Racer Build

Just finished this build up. Kinda of a boardwalk racer inspired commuter. Built mostly from spare parts, but some new too. It is for sale locally if anyone is interested.

Build Sheet

Frame: 2016 Surly Crosscheck - 58cm - Cuba Libre
    Fork: Surly Crosscheck
    Headset: FSA Hammer 1 1/8
    Bottom Bracket: Sram GXP
    Crankset: Truvativ Stylo GXP
    Chainring: Porkchop BMX 39t - anodized purple
    Stem: Dimension 90mm
    Handlebars: FSA Metroplis
    Brake Levers: Avid SD 2.0 - Red Ano
    Brakes: Shimano V-Brake m40XX
    Brake Pads: Kool Stop Blue Ano/Red Ano Brake Bridge
    Shifter: Shimano Deore XT Thumbie 7s
    Rear Der: Shimano Deore m591-sgs
    Chain: Sram 851
    Grips: Surly Take-Off
    Cables/Housing: Jagwire
    Seatpost: Thompson Elite
    Saddle: Chromag Trailmaster LTD
    Wheelset: Shimano HB-m475/WTB Dual Duty
    Tires: Schwalbe Big Apple 29x2.00

A God Without A Name
    Anyone who doesn't find that bike sharp is a damn dirty liar.

mtbr member
    Agreed - very nice build. I love seeing the 2" Big Apples on there. I need to get a set of those for mine!
    2015 Surly Ice Cream Truck
    2016 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Couple of additional pics of my new flat bar set up. It's a 100mm/15 degree salsa stem and the bars are salsa ProMoto 2. While I like the Kenda 35c knobby tires on there now, after seeing Kevin's build with the big apples, I know what my next purchase will be!

Cross Check pics please-img_0970.jpg

Cross Check pics please-img_0977.jpg

Cross Check pics please-img_0972.jpg
    2015 Surly Ice Cream Truck
    2016 Surly Ogre

mtbr member

Double duties

This was my Cross-Check yesterday:

Cross Check pics please-img_20160526_144415.jpg

(1x10 with a Sram x7 derailleur and rival shifter/brakes on a Gary 2 bar.)

and this is it today:

Cross Check pics please-img_20160526_184308.jpg

(For its second birthday, I swapped in a Salsa Salt Flat 3 with an x5 shifter, some cheap Shimano short-pull brake levers, and ESI chunky grips.)

I've removed the Surly decals (took off the head badge after these photos) and took off most component branding with acetone (Ritchey components are great for this) or covered it up with black sharpie (redid the cranks after this picture, too). Might keep an eye out for some cheap plain handlebar plugs.

I've (hopefully) got a Surly 24-pack rack on the way (it's backordered).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice clean build, tallest. I like it. That'd be a sweet old skool trail bike with some knobby tires.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    It does look pretty sweet with some big knobby tires, but most of my riding is on pavement these days. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture with my 45c Panaracer Fire Cross tires on it. The 40c Schwalbe Marathon Mondials pictured do pretty well on the occasional trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hey all, new to the forum. Was looking locally for a new bike and ended up grabbing this used 2006 cross check. It's a stock complete from what I can gather. Any recommendations on first upgrades?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looks pretty nice already, not sure that any upgrades are really needed, but...

In my opinion I'd get some Gevenalle levers to move those bar-ends up to the hoods.
    Shifters | Product Categories | Gevenalle

Maybe some fatter rubber, because, why have a Surly if you want skinny tires?

Can't tell clors with the B&W photo, but bright-colored accents (housing, bar tape, saddle?) can look cool

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmalone1 View Post
    Hey all, new to the forum. Was looking locally for a new bike and ended up grabbing this used 2006 cross check. It's a stock complete from what I can gather. Any recommendations on first upgrades?

Congrats on the new bike. I think the brakes that came with the CCs in 2006 weren't so great. I use Tektro CR720s on my CC and LHT and I'm pretty happy with them. They're inexpensive. And like another poster suggested, consider some fatter tires. Earlier today I was thinking about how there are so many options for nice wide tires. For years it seemed like if you wanted a fatter road tire you had to go with a touring tire. But now there's an abundance of supple tires in the 35 to 40mm range. You might want to also consider some fenders if you're not riding off road too much. Enjoy!
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
    Looks pretty nice already, not sure that any upgrades are really needed, but...

In my opinion I'd get some Gevenalle levers to move those bar-ends up to the hoods.
    Shifters | Product Categories | Gevenalle

Maybe some fatter rubber, because, why have a Surly if you want skinny tires?

Can't tell clors with the B&W photo, but bright-colored accents (housing, bar tape, saddle?) can look cool
    I'm coming from a beach cruiser so I have no idea what "move the bar ends up to the hood means, is it just that the levers on the stock cantis are really longs shorter ones would be better?

Any recommendations on the tires? And does that mean I need a whole new wheel assembly too? Sorry I know a ton about surfboards and zero about bikes.

The bike is gloss black. I have some ideas on color, was looking at the Supacaz tape options to brighten up. Seems like a lot of guys go w the black and brown but I'm definitely a little more bold than that.

Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Congrats on the new bike. I think the brakes that came with the CCs in 2006 weren't so great. I use Tektro CR720s on my CC and LHT and I'm pretty happy with them. They're inexpensive. And like another poster suggested, consider some fatter tires. Earlier today I was thinking about how there are so many options for nice wide tires. For years it seemed like if you wanted a fatter road tire you had to go with a touring tire. But now there's an abundance of supple tires in the 35 to 40mm range. You might want to also consider some fenders if you're not riding off road too much. Enjoy!
    Thanks for the input, I'll look into the Tektros!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^ Upgrade Order

BUTT - Saddle

HANDS - Bar Tape, Handlebar (there are different shapes) Stem (if you need to change your stretch from seat to handlebars)

FEET - Pedals (clipless, cages, bmx platforms)

TIRES - The above interface you with the bike, but this is the bikes interface with the ground. Get something designed for the terrain you will be riding most often!

After you get that stuff good to go, then you can worry about 'performance upgrades' like derailleurs or shifters or wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm coming from a beach cruiser so I have no idea what "move the bar ends up to the hood means, is it just that the levers on the stock cantis are really longs shorter ones would be better?
    If you follow the link, you can see the Gevenalle levers, they are regular brake levers with a mount on the front that will accept standard bar-end or downtube shift levers. That way you can shift without taking your hands off the brakes, like a homebrew version of brifters. They were 'invented' specifically for cyclocross, and the CrossCheck is a cyclocross bike, so it's a good match thematically as well.

Any recommendations on the tires? And does that mean I need a whole new wheel assembly too? Sorry I know a ton about surfboards and zero about bikes.
    No worries. As long as you get a 700 aka 29er tire you don't need anything else different about your wheels, you can even use the same inner tubes. I've got Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in 2" wide, that's a little over spec and about the widest you can go. But there are lots of options in 42mm plus or minus that would work great. I would look into Schwalbe Hurricanes -- nice and smooth-rolling in the center for road, but some tread on the sides for light trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
    If you follow the link, you can see the Gevenalle levers, they are regular brake levers with a mount on the front that will accept standard bar-end or downtube shift levers. That way you can shift without taking your hands off the brakes, like a homebrew version of brifters. They were 'invented' specifically for cyclocross, and the CrossCheck is a cyclocross bike, so it's a good match thematically as well.

No worries. As long as you get a 700 aka 29er tire you don't need anything else different about your wheels, you can even use the same inner tubes. I've got Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in 2" wide, that's a little over spec and about the widest you can go. But there are lots of options in 42mm plus or minus that would work great. I would look into Schwalbe Hurricanes -- nice and smooth-rolling in the center for road, but some tread on the sides for light trails
    Awesome thanks, I'll look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Awesome thanks, I'll look into that.
    I have them on my CC, here's my review

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Congrats on the bike. The Cross Check is an excellent choice. I rescued a Cross Check myself a few years back. Here's how I would approach it:

Fix deferred maintenance. Unfortunately, that's often a problem with used bikes. Make sure that the brakes and shifters are well adjusted and working smoothly and crisply. Spin the wheels. If the hubs are not turning smoothly or make any grinding noises, you'll need to overhaul them. Same with headset and bottom bracket.

Replace worn out parts. Tires have been mentioned. If they are worn out, replace them. Same with brake pads. Also check the chainrings and cassette for worn down or bent teeth. Check the chain too, though if you replace the chainrings, you'll want to replace chain too anyway. BTW, if you do have to replace drivetrain components, that's the perfect time to dial in the gearing to your preference. Are you in a hilly area? Maybe you'll want a taller first gear.

Comfort. Replace handlebars, saddle, and pedals, if desired, to suit your preferences.

Dial in your fit. You might need a shorter or longer stem or seat post with setback to get your fit right, especially if you changed the handlebar or saddle.

Accessorize. I like adding a bell to my bikes. I also always have a saddlebag with spare tube, tools, and space for keys, phone, etc. Fenders are nice to have in wet weather. Obviously this is totally personal and you'll want to set up the bike for how you intend to ride.

Good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    Hay

Cross Check pics please-img_2433.jpg

slower than you
    This is my old bean-green 631 Cross-Check circa 2001

Cross Check pics please-crosscheck.jpg

And these are some words I've written about it on my blog: RockyChrysler.com: Just about a bike: Surly Cross-Check
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Cross Check pics please-20160820_124356.jpg
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160820_124356.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	1089200
    That's a really nice looking CC. What tires your running? The fenders look like VO Zeppelin, correct? I had the VO TA knock off cranks years ago and while I loved the gearing, 46/30, I found them a bit finicky and aligning the arms with the FD was difficulty. They've since modified the crank to work with modern FDs. Are they working well for you?
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    That's a really nice looking CC. What tires your running? The fenders look like VO Zeppelin, correct? I had the VO TA knock off cranks years ago and while I loved the gearing, 46/30, I found them a bit finicky and aligning the arms with the FD was difficulty. They've since modified the crank to work with modern FDs. Are they working well for you?
    Thank you.

Tires are Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in 700x40. I don't have a lot of experience with other tires to compare them with, but so far I really enjoy the ride they give.

Yes, those are Zeppelins. First fenders I've ever installed. While adjusting them was a finicky process, I'm really happy with how they came out. They're almost perfectly concentric to the wheels and don't rattle at all.

And yes, the cranks are the VO TA knock off 46/30s. Shifting has been consistently crisp and clean in both directions. I spend a lot of time with the rear in the middle cog and simply do all my shifting in front between the 46 and the 30. It's easy and the two gear ratios match my local hilly routes perfectly. I got the crank new in 2013 and I'm not sure when VO might have modified the design.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post

Name:	20160820_124356.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	1089200
    Awesome Check! Wishing you many happy miles.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My latest configuration

Cross Check pics please-14352189_10107034812022133_8780790778850626814_o-1-.jpgCross Check pics please-14352479_10107034804616973_5480925376128125981_o-1-.jpgCross Check pics please-14332980_10107034804621963_1349333834438714854_n.jpg
    Cross Check pics please-surly_cc_front_range.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    My latest configuration

Name:	14352189_10107034812022133_8780790778850626814_o (1).jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	1093715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14352479_10107034804616973_5480925376128125981_o (1).jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	1093716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14332980_10107034804621963_1349333834438714854_n.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	1093717

Name:	surly_cc_front_range.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	1093718
    Cool pics, and nice bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My second CC, this one fits better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

For Light Touring

just sharing a new build. Already have a Straggler but my wife loved the color (Glitter Dream) and owned it. So i ended up building a Cross-Check. And just like the Straggler and my KM, I am loving this steed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-xcheck.jpg  

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627