Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    great time on the snowy commute yesterday. at one point, on a side street, i saw an suv ahead of me that was slowly skating sideways, and i thought, 'this is the way to go.'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-imag0144.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Figured Id keep this thread going. Here is my freshly built 60cm. Rides great compared to my old aluminum cross bike. The only thing I need to change out is the seatpost to a non setback, Im too far back. Otherwise Im happy the frame can fit my 40mm tires and fenders. Love it!Cross Check pics please-surlycc.jpg

mtbr member
    Anybody have a 2013 Hospital Foam Cross Check?
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    nope but i'm about to pull the trigger, can't wait!

mtbr member
    Thatís one of the only things I donít like about the Cross-Check, the top-tubes are about an inch too long!
    I went with a short stem because I love my (set-back) suspension post. Last nightís monster-commute:

The Kindness of Strangers

mtbr member
    After a windy, cold, uncomfortable ride yesterday on my CC, this morning I jettisoned the drop bars and put on my favored flipped Marys. What a difference. Today's ride was still windy and cold, but at least I could roll in comfort.

I ran out of brake levers, so only one for now (it's fixed, so it's workable):

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusburger View Post
    Thatís one of the only things I donít like about the Cross-Check, the top-tubes are about an inch too long!
    I went with a short stem because I love my (set-back) suspension post. Last nightís monster-commute:

The Kindness of Strangers

At one time I thought that was a bad thing too. Then I realized that the extra length allows you to have more top tube clearance. It's a good thing for the balls IMO.

The real problem is that the chain-stays are too short for me to get my fat tires in there without deflating them. Can't even removed the wheel without deflating them because of the chain-stay bridge.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I love the look of this. I am currently adding mustache bars to mine.

mtbr member

Dirty Blue build

2X9 58cm frame set.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-img_1702.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Cross Check pics please

Cross Check pics please-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363004669.957940.jpgTaking a break at Rock Creek Park

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Muddy Sunday

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brdpkns View Post
    I wear clipless shoes 95% of the time. Only time I use the platforms is on quick beer runs or whatever. They're worthless offroad.
    I'm not sure you are right about that (actually I am sure...) ! Some of the best mtb riders in the world ride flats!!! Riding flats off road will increase your general ability and make loose all the bad habits you pick up when ride clips too much.

A bit of litt here to help you understand: Flats vs. Clipless Pedals | Mountain Bike Training Programs

And a pic from a wicked flat pedal rider: Cross Check pics please-slorence_matthunter_0103.jpg
    Last edited by zoro; 03-17-2013 at 01:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    I'm not sure you are right about that (actually I am sure...) ! Some of the best mtb riders in the world ride flats!!! Riding flats off road will increase your general ability and make loose all the bad habits you pick up when ride clips too much.

A bit of litt here to help you understand: Flats vs. Clipless Pedals | Mountain Bike Training Programs

And a pic from a wicked flat pedal rider: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLorence_matthunter_0103.jpg 
Views:	693 
Size:	360.2 KB 
ID:	781683
    Take it down a notch, champ. I was referring to my specific pedal, not platforms as a whole. You see, the pedal I was referring to doesn't have any pins or real grip on my shoes. I have downhill platforms on my trail bike that I love.

Relax.

A God Without A Name
    No brdpkns, by speaking against platforms... YOU DEMEAN US ALL.

But in all seriousness. a good set of platforms is my choice 99% of the time. they work just fine, and I have enough cycling skill to fix all the things that clipless pedals purport to fix. (Which my research tells me is cadence and unicorn attacks)

mtbr member

Platform pedals.

You want to see people get their panties in a pinch about platform pedals? Go for a "serious" road ride with platform pedals. Over the past 5 years I've started to spend more and more of my cycling time out of lycra and on platform pedals. It just works for me. Last week did 90 miles, mixed terrain with 50% gravel on CC SS with platform pedals. Looking to do a similar ride this week. The VP platform pedals are great.

VP Thin Gripster pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-dscn1959.jpg  

All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    You want to see people get their panties in a pinch about platform pedals? Go for a "serious" road ride with platform pedals. Over the past 5 years I've started to spend more and more of my cycling time out of lycra and on platform pedals. It just works for me.
    Hey nice bike! I totally agree about roadies raging when seeing platforms!! Anyways, most of them are joes no names that got ill-advised when buying a bike and are stuck with a 100% racing outfit from head to toe with a stretched out position like they were going to race Milan-San Remo or the TDF!! Feeling sour they plunked all this $$ on space/road wear.

I ride VPs also, this model. I got them for free at an Enduro race by the nice guys at VP. They work really good, especially with sticky 5.10s:Name:  66co0uwprc6lctw.jpg
Views: 1821
Size:  58.5 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CBUL View Post
    2X9 58cm frame set.

most cross checks don't look all that nice, but this is rockin' right here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    here's my CC

Cross Check pics please-wp_20130318_002.jpg

mtbr member
    WOW, that is a beautiful CC...I'm hoping to do something similar when I build up mine. Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride True View Post
    Finally got it done, my all purpose commuter and tourer Been riding a hardtail with slicks and decided to treat myself to this!

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My LBS (North Central Cyclery in DeKalb, great guys) just sent me a picture of the soon-to-be-my new CC. Not going to be able to pick it up until a week from Saturday, though. BOO!

Cross Check pics please-dsc05731.jpg

1x10 commuter rig:
    Salsa Cowbells
    Schwalbe Marathon Tires
    Front Dynohub

Sitting at home, ready to add:
    Luxos-B headlight and Toplight Line Plus Taillight
    Tubus Cargo Rack
    Cascadia Nelson Saddlebag
    SKS Longboard P45 Fenders

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new bike evandy! Looks like it's spec'd well.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Can't wait to see it in person; I love the look of that Blark Due. If it weren't for the fact I didn't like the hospital green, I might've gone with the standard full bike... instead, I went custom-build. There are some parts I'll probably upgrade as they wear out, but on the whole, it should be a good workhorse.

mtbr member

Another week, another all day SS ride on the CC.

Got out for another long ride on the CC yesterday and explored some new dirt roads. Total mileage was somewhere in the 85 mile range. I won't lie, some of the pitches on the road we explored were pretty steep and we walked a bit but the descents were great. Lots of rain yesterday, lots of quiet roads and new ideas for future rides. I mainly rode the CC because my buddy's geared bike is out of commission. I think this ride is it for long SS rides for a while. Still, you gotta love the versatility of the CC. Next week I'll be on the LHT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-dscn1996.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-dscn1999.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-dscn2003.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-dscn2020.jpg  

mtbr member
    OhDoubleYouIan- Thank you and your ride is looks quite fine as well!

evandy- You will dig the blue! What size is that? I see your going for a work horse bike with the lights and fenders. That thought crossed my mind as well......but for now it will be a Gravel, Road and cyclocross machine.

Post a pic when she is all dialed in.

I <3 29ers
    Changes aplenty! My monstercross commuter rig has been transformed. The flat bar is swapped for a road bar, v-brakes give way to cantis, top mount shifters (Shim downtubes + Paul Thumbies) are now relocated to the down tubes and the Kenda Karmas were swapped to Happy Medium and now again down to Small Block 8 700x35s. Rounding out the package is a Race Face Cadence crankset.

Looking to have pics up tonight (within 10 hours from exactlyyyyyyyyyyyy ... NOW! lol)
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast