Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 1324
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Here are our Cross Checks. Mine is the black one. The orange one is my wife's.

Attachment 1044871

Attachment 1044870
    Hi mate nice, how do you find the 1X setup, are you in a hilly area?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Cross Check new Clothes...

Hi everyone a few images of my CC wearing her new clothes.

Cross Check pics please-dsc03809.jpg

The frame was starting to show a few rust spots so a re-spay was in order. My LBS passed on the name of a local to do the work at a very reasonable rate. I picked a Porsche Metallic Grey, my mid life crisis I suppose

Cross Check pics please-dsc02242.jpg

Very happy with the result.

Cross Check pics please-dsc03807.jpg

Some custom Surly stickers as well. And Schwable Marathon Supremes in 35's

Cross Check pics please-dsc02262.jpg

And a Chris King headset.

Cross Check pics please-dsc08218.jpg

Cross Check pics please-dsc08207.jpg

The CC is good to go for another ten years.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Cross Check in Helvetica?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    Cross Check in Helvetica?
    Hi mate CC is in Harabara Regular, Surly is in Terminator.

I would have had them both in Terminator but the CC in the smallest font was a little too large.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Studs in the tyres?
    Studs would have made it easier. The key to riding in snow with the semi slicks is to not be in a hurry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

cross check closer to final build

Here is mine now close to final commuting set up with ergo grips, tiny horns, 37 kenda khan and conti tour ride tires. I will add xt rear derailleur and that is it. Now i just need to decisde between keeping the V brakes or going back to the simple cantis Cross Check pics please-img_0325.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	422.0 KB 
ID:	1049740

mtbr member
    Who likes the 45c Gumwalls?!

mtbr member
    Nice! Are those the specialized fatboys or something else?

mtbr member
    Yes. Specialized Fatboys currently on sale. I think they may be going away.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Posted my new Cross Check SS previously, but have made a few changes from stock and I think it's just about perfect now. Ritchey Rizer bars, EVO stem(shorter than stock), WTB saddle (to match the one on my Kona Unit that just seems to fit me exactly right), Lezyne lights and saddle bag, and changed the gearing from 42-17 to 42-18 (I live in the foothills and everywhere I like to go requires climbing as soon as I roll out the front door!). Loving this bike now. Every time I intend to go out for a short spin, it turns into a long adventure--fire roads, urban exploring, light single track, bike paths, you-name-it. Big fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-cc0403.jpg  

Last edited by jbass; 02-19-2016 at 03:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Long Haul Trucker fork on Cross Check

My fork is cut off quite short and i am might getting a fork from a Trucker.
    As the Trucker fork is according to Surly slightly shorter (one cm shorter and one cm more offset) i am wondering how the handling difference would be. Top Tube angled downwards? Has anyone tried it and how was your experience? pics would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I got a nice recovery ride in today with a bit of coffee and a nice chance to use my pocket chainsaw. The second one was to big to get all the way through but I cut the end off so you can sneak around it now. . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    triple posted thanks to tapatalk
    Last edited by Lunchbox1987; 03-14-2016 at 06:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    triple posted thanks to tapatalk
    Last edited by Lunchbox1987; 03-14-2016 at 06:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Pretty sure I posted when my cc was a single speed, finally upgraded. I decided to put my eggs into one basket, sold all my other bikes and built this up.

This is my first build and I've run into a few issues. I need to adjust the fd, I have chain rub in the big front chain ring anytime I'm half way down the smallest rear cogs, and I hear the rd jumping every few chain revolutions but it stays in gear.

Build list:
    Shimano 11spd 105 groupset
    Trp cx9 mini vs
    Mavic Aksium One wheel set
    Thompson stem
    Salsa cowbell handel bars
    Bontrager tires from a trek crossrip 700x32

mtbr member
    After riding my ICT exclusively since December, I took the CC out the other day (before the snow returned!) and felt like I was riding a rocket! It's amazing how different two bikes can ride. I never thought a CC felt real fast until I rode slow for a few months.
    2015 Surly Ice Cream Truck
    2016 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Got out on a nice ride on my SS CC. I love this bike. In Sept I'll have had it for 10yrs. Always thinking about changing it up. Thinking about gears. Also thinking about new brakes, Paul's Mini Motos. I think as a SS, I prefer it with flat bars. The 32mm T-Serves I was on yesterday are a great all-rounder tire except in the mud which there was plenty of in Forest Park yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-25995640165_8df500e931_z.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-25900669771_39bd439386_z.jpg  

All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Looking good dfltroll! Here's to 10 more years on your Check (at least). Isn't it amazing Surly was like 20 years ahead of the rest of the industry on "all road" bikes.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Cross Check pics please-image.jpg

A few happy snaps from my cherry blossom ride the other day. My CC us wearing new bar tape, which I think came out nicely. New tires as well - Panaracer Paselas. I had been running Compass Barlow Passes, which were brilliant tires for the most part. However, I got tired of flatting every other ride. Paselas have been much more reliable for me and almost as fast. Cheaper too.

mtbr member
    Bought frame last year and went through several builds, usually filling in for the bikes I was waiting at the time (last year it was single speed while I was rebuilding Nature Boy, became road ride after while I was waiting for Pacer and finally was used as geared gravel grinder till I finally bought AWOL).
    Finished build today almost as I originally intended when frame was purchased. I was planning to use blue accents but yesterday I found piece of celeste colored housing in my parts bin and it just clicked so celeste it is. I absolutely love that color, had many Bianchi's but did not keep any and every spring I get an urge to get another one so hopefully this will cure it :-)
    Crankset and chainring are likely temporary while I am figuring out gear inches I want - it is fixed/fixed whith higher gear to get to gravel and ride it and bail out lower, currently 38x16 and 38x20.
    Anyway - 2015 Dream Tangerine:
    Mavic Open Road anodized grey laced to formula hubs, Surly Knards 700x41
    TRP CX mini-v's, I think 9 soemthing with Tektro levers
    Ritchey comp seat post, Brooks Cambium C17
    Jagwire housing and cables, handlebar from Specialized AWOL, VO tall stem, Fizik supelight tape in Celeste
    Some rebranded Wellgo pedals with Ynot straps, RaceFace crank with RaceFace 38t ring, orange chain (I think KMC, temp as well as I want black KMC 710SL on it)

Don't believe everything you think

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=mongol777;12554697]Bought frame last year and went through several builds, usually filling in for the bikes I was waiting at the time (last year it was single speed while I was rebuilding Nature Boy, became road ride after while I was waiting for Pacer and finally was used as geared gravel grinder till I finally bought AWOL).
    Finished build today almost as I originally intended when frame was purchased. I was planning to use blue accents but yesterday I found piece of celeste colored housing in my parts bin and it just clicked so celeste it is. I absolutely love that color, had many Bianchi's but did not keep any and every spring I get an urge to get another one so hopefully this will cure it :-)

Great looking build Mongol. I found some Celeste Velocity hoops languishing at my LBS, had to give them a home. Laced them to some old 1x1 hubs and put them on my Robin's Egg CC.

Cross Check pics please-img-20150115-00564.jpg
    On heavy rotation: Stooge 27.5+ SS, On-One Fatty, On-One 456 EVO, Surly Cross-Check, Scott CR1 (SS road)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLoCo29
    Great looking build Mongol. I found some Celeste Velocity hoops languishing at my LBS, had to give them a home. Laced them to some old 1x1 hubs and put them on my Robin's Egg CC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG
    1060878[/ATTACH]
    Thanks! Never thought about Celeste colored rims, great idea!

mtbr member
    Hey everyone - I'm going to convert my stock CC to a flat bar build and was wondering what you'd recommend for brake levers (using stock cantis) and shifters (currently using stock bar ends)?
    2016 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Got rid of the 45c Specialized Fatboys. I think they were old or a bad batch. They were noisy and picked up lots of gravel and fine sediment on the tire. Specialzed did send me these 35c Fatboys which made the bike faster.

Looking for a new set of wheels to go tubeless. Any recommendations? Anyone have noisy hubs on their CrossCheck? I really like my Hope Pro 4's on my Ogre. Maybe some industry 9's on this one.

Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1

Next...something with squish

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    Got rid of the 45c Specialized Fatboys. I think they were old or a bad batch. They were noisy and picked up lots of gravel and fine sediment on the tire. Specialzed did send me these 35c Fatboys which made the bike faster.

Looking for a new set of wheels to go tubeless. Any recommendations? Anyone have noisy hubs on their CrossCheck? I really like my Hope Pro 4's on my Ogre. Maybe some industry 9's on this one.

Hi, yeah, I've been using WTB ChrissCross rims for (wide tire) tubeless very successfully. I can easily fit actual 40mm tires with room to spare.

Hubs is a personal thing, I guess. Get something good quality and have fun?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post
    Hey everyone - I'm going to convert my stock CC to a flat bar build and was wondering what you'd recommend for brake levers (using stock cantis) and shifters (currently using stock bar ends)?
    Low end: standard pull Tektro levers (the ones for road-style brakes, not V-brakes); Falcon friction shifters (like we had in the 80's) - this is what I would do, but I'm kind of a cheapskate and a retro grouch

Mid-level: Velo Orange city brake levers and a thumbie mounts for your bar-end levers. VO sells good, classy, made-in-Taiwan stuff. Or, if you don't want thumbies, go for mountain-bike style rapid fire shifters.

High-end: Paul levers and thumbies (also uses your barend levers). Solid MUSA components. Very bling.

Two other thoughts: Changing out your brake levers would be a good time to upgrade your brakes to V-brakes, if you so desire. Instead of thumbies or rapid-fire shifters, you could mount your shift levers on the downtube. A little unconventional, but I've seen it done, and it would make future handlebar swaps a snap.

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of the down tube shifters, have my CC set up 1x9. Easy to swap bars, and easy to switch back to SS, just put a slit in the plastic cable guide under the BB and you can remove the whole system without unhooking the cable. I'm sure many people (and bike shops) have some old MTB canti levers in their parts bins which will work. You can pick up new Tektro levers for about $20.
    On heavy rotation: Stooge 27.5+ SS, On-One Fatty, On-One 456 EVO, Surly Cross-Check, Scott CR1 (SS road)

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.
    2016 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Here's my machine. I'm no fan of any brand stickers so mine is completely clean of any brand name on frame or components. Except for my King headset and the tires. I use it for about anything, cyclocross, singletracks, weekend trips, or just cruising.

This my last build, semi vintage. It's 1x9 with the narrow wide ring 38t in front and 9 speed 11/32 on the back. Here in Holland/Belgium/Germany it's fine.

Last upgrade where the Brooks Flyer with the Brooks Leather Bartape. I realy like how it turned out.

Last edited by Maverick76; 04-08-2016 at 09:43 AM.

mtbr member
    This is my new CC... sorry for the big shadow in the backgroud!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm inspired to participate. My commute bike. Love this thing. Shopping for a Nitto back rack to carry lunch and work. My lunch on the front rack kills handling.

How it sits after new fenders last night.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    I'm inspired to participate. My commute bike. Love this thing. Shopping for a Nitto back rack to carry lunch and work. My lunch on the front rack kills handling.

How it sits after new fenders last night.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.
    Nice, love the Robins Egg. This was mine in commuter mode before I started working from home....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-img-20141106-00305.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick76 View Post
    Here's my machine. I'm no fan of any brand stickers so mine is completely clean of any brand name on frame or components. Except for my King headset and the tires. I use it for about anything, cyclocross, singletracks, weekend trips, or just cruising.

This my last build, semi vintage. It's 1x9 with the narrow wide ring 38t in front and 9 speed 11/32 on the back. Here in Holland/Belgium/Germany it's fine.

Last upgrade where the Brooks Flyer with the Brooks Leather Bartape. I realy like how it turned out.

spectacular!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLoCo29 View Post
    Nice, love the Robins Egg. This was mine in commuter mode before I started working from home....
    i actually didnt like Robins Egg in the beginning, but really didnt want black.so i settled.

that color has really grown on me. i dig it. i think some creme accents would be great.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Here's my Cross Check, recently converted from fast tourer/winter road bike to a gravel build.

Mixed Shimano drivetrain (road triple with a 11-32 cassette)
    Shimano 105 hub with Mavic Open Pro rims
    Schwalbe Furious Fred tyres

I live in Sweden and any interesting long ride around here involves mixed terrain, including smooth tarmac, dirt/gravel roads and forest paths - so any single bike is always going to be sub-optimal. The speed of the Furious Fred tyres on tarmac makes this current set up a great compromise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-img_7500.jpg  

mtbr member
    Here is my latest set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-img_3603.jpg  

mtbr member

Aaaaand we're back to singlespeed....

Was planning on switching back to SS at some point, the decision was made for me last weekend...

Cross Check pics please-img_2340.jpgCross Check pics please-img_2327.jpgCross Check pics please-img_2326.jpgCross Check pics please-img_2324.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Looks good

Hope you messed up the thing that did it at least as bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Looks good

Hope you messed up the thing that did it at least as bad.
    It was on the way home from a brewery tour, at some point during the day my derailleur must have been hit while parked... Didn't notice any misalignment because I was running a downtube shifter in friction mode. Went for first gear and it shifted into the spokes. It's all good though, held my own with a bunch of geared bikes on yesterday's 42 mile gravel grinder. Ending of course at a brewery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-img_2361.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-img_2362.jpg  

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Anybody Selling a 52cm? Frame or complete.... cheaper most likely the better.....
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-luder View Post
    Anybody Selling a 52cm? Frame or complete.... cheaper most likely the better.....
    Two 52s for sale on ebay as we speak. I've also seen them on craigslist and pinkbike. Cross Check is up there as the most available Surly bike.

Surly Cross x Check 52 Black | eBay

Surly Cross Check | eBay

There's a well priced size 50 too, if you're between sizes like I am:

Surly Cross Check 50 Cm | eBay
    2016 Surly Ogre

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Two 52s for sale on ebay as we speak. I've also seen them on craigslist and pinkbike. Cross Check is up there as the most available Surly bike.

Surly Cross x Check 52 Black | eBay

Surly Cross Check | eBay

There's a well priced size 50 too, if you're between sizes like I am:

Surly Cross Check 50 Cm | eBay
    Yep saw those. Not great deals IMO. Im looking for a little more character if you know what I mean.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by e-luder View Post
    Has mine on the Denver CL. Where you at?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Been meaning to post my CC for a while. Its a 50, but I sort of wish I'd bought a 52, feels a bit small.

It's gone through a bunch of different setups, single speed, 1 x 11, front rack, no rack, 28c tires up to 43c Rock N' Roads. Now i've got a PDW front basket/bag along with some low rider racks in the front. Front wheel has a dynamo with a light mounted on the basket and rear light jerry rigged onto the rear rack mounts.

Tons of fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ultegra/V-Brake

Are Ultegra road levers V-Brake compatible now?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Cross Check pics please

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    Are Ultegra road levers V-Brake compatible now?
    If the pull of the brakes is close you can get them to work (I think it has to do with the height of each arm), it's just a bit finicky. It took me a little while to get them setup, but they've worked really well.

The Tektros with those levers stop way better than any cantis I've ever used!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whistlesglimberg View Post
    If the pull of the brakes is close you can get them to work (I think it has to do with the height of each arm), it's just a bit finicky. It took me a little while to get them setup, but they've worked really well.

The Tektros with those levers stop way better than any cantis I've ever used!
    Aren't they mini-Vs? Never had issues with road levers/mini-V combo

mtbr member
    With 40cc I had to grid a little for the back

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    Aren't they mini-Vs? Never had issues with road levers/mini-V combo
    Yeah, they're Mini's. An important distinction to make!

mtbr member
    Here's the latest transformation of my Cross Check. Flat bars feel right at home on it!

Cross Check pics please-img_0967.jpg
    2016 Surly Ogre