Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    New Travelers Check Build

I <3 29ers
    Hardy, Brad and brd's fiance - VERY glad to read you all are still with us.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    My latest setup:

Ariolimax columbianus
    Just built this up w/some old new used parts. It's only seen a couple hundred commuting miles from the past few weeks I bet. Specs another time... Gonna go mtbring.Cross Check pics please-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355678995.863768.jpg

powered by peanut butter.
    Finally got the chance to install and test the new brakes Santa brought me. Initial impression: wow. Awesome.

Apologies for the crappy cell phone pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-trp-front.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-trp-rear.jpg  

"Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

iphilrive
    what are the widest tires you can fit on a cross-check?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    Finally got the chance to install and test the new brakes Santa brought me. Initial impression: wow. Awesome.

Apologies for the crappy cell phone pics.
    Are they really $300 a pair good?

mtbr member

dying hurts.
    woah...your saddle needs to be dropped a few inches, then leveled out....

Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Are they really $300 a pair good?
    They're not quite that expensive--Amazon has them for $100 per set (the box comes with both front and rear brakes and all the hardware you need). Other places online have them for around $150 per set.

Anyway, yeah, they're worlds better than the canti brakes I've used. (Admittedly, I haven't used any top of the line cantis.) I tried the TRPs on a Giant CX bike that I demoed on some singletrack last year, and I was amazed by their stopping power. I haven't had the chance to take mine on singletrack yet, but I'm sure they'll be a welcome change from the death grip I needed to get my cantis to slow me down.

Only a few complaints so far: first, I got caught in some rain on my ride last night, and the stock pads didn't stop me as well as I hoped, but they still worked well enough. When these pads wear out, I'll put in some Kool Stops to give me some wet weather braking power. Also, they are taking a while to fine tune (the instructions say that you need to get the pads 1mm away from the rim--mine aren't quite that close yet), but I'm more than willing to spend some time dialing them in to get them working well. I'll write up a longer review once I've put them through their paces a bit.

Here's a pic to keep from derailing the thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-cc-w-trp.jpg  

"Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Running those TRPs on my CC for over a year, and would only trade them for disks. My opinion is that, yes, they are that good.

iphilrive
    that travelers check is beautiful! it's vintage colors, yet its all new!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy View Post
    woah...your saddle needs to be dropped a few inches, then leveled out....
    The post was new and I hadnt adjusted the saddle yet, but the height works great for me.

mtbr member
    Some great looking bikes in here. I miss my check even though I love my new pugsley.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have those brakes on my CC too and yes, they are awesome. I actually like them more than the bb7s I had on my Vaya.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Do the TRPs work with road levers? I thought linear pull brakes required the additional cable travel oy leverage of the mountain bike brake lever. Will the TRPs work with levers that come stock on the CC complete bike build. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki View Post
    Do the TRPs work with road levers? I thought linear pull brakes required the additional cable travel oy leverage of the mountain bike brake lever. Will the TRPs work with levers that come stock on the CC complete bike build. Thanks
    Yep, the TRPs are designed to work with road levers. They're "mini-v" brakes, so they don't need quite as much cable pull. I would guess that they'd work fine with the stock levers.

Some other companies make mini-v's as well. Tektro has a set that are affordable and that have great reviews.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the great tip and the link. The Tektro mini-v's look like a great upgrade over the stock center-pull, especially for my city-bike purpose. This inexpensive solution overcomes my final concern about choosing the cross-check over the disc-equipped Salsa Vaya 3.

Thanks again!

Big Tiki

Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    Yep, the TRPs are designed to work with road levers. They're "mini-v" brakes, so they don't need quite as much cable pull. I would guess that they'd work fine with the stock levers.

Some other companies make mini-v's as well. Tektro has a set that are affordable and that have great reviews.

mtbr member
    one quick question about the mini-v's, do people find they have enough clearance for fenders?......and a CC pick, from when i had the open bar on it this summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-2012-08-19-19.29.46.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwall View Post
    one quick question about the mini-v's, do people find they have enough clearance for fenders?......and a CC pick, from when i had the open bar on it this summer.
    Nice looking bike. I had not thought of the open bar on the cc. Riding single track on drops is a bit tricky, at least for me, as the brake levers are not on the bars but on the hoods. I always felt like I was scrambling for the brakes.

From the reviews I read of the mini-v's, it appear some people notch their fenders to accommodate them. I'm sure the need to notch depends on the make of the brakes and size and placement of the fender. I had to notch my rear fender for the chain on my cargo bike to run Big Apples. Works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    One more question about mini-v's or mini-L brakes: I'm still concerned about the ability to use road levers with the tektro or TRP mini-v / mini-L brakes. On many sites, the tektros are listed as "long pull" brake lever activation:

Item Specifications
    Color Black
    Weight 161g
    Material Forged Alloy
    Brake Usage F/R Front,Rear
    Pad One-piece
    Hub/Brake Compatibility Rim Brake
    Brake Type Linear Pull
    Brake Lever Actuation Long Pull

Are standard road levers "long pull" while integrated brake/shifter levers are short pull? Help me understand, please. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    thanks, for the info on the mini v's. i've thought of swapping out the stock cantis, especially at times when i can't get them dialed quite right. ....

....yeah, the open bar on the CC is a blast riding singletrack. i got the open bar primarily to see how it changed the CC on singletrack. at the time, i had a set up where the open bar had separate brake cables/ yokes, so all i needed to do was dismantle the bar end shifters and attach the yokes to change from drop bars to the open bar. however, it wasn't as smooth as i thought it'd be to switch bars frequently because it put things just a little bit out of adjustment each time i swapped.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I bought this bike used in October and had to have emergency back surgery a couple days later. I am now 3 months post op and finally able to start exercising some. While I was laid up I was able to change out the shifters/brake hoods for a set of ultegra shifter/brake combo shifters. Today I was fitted on the bike by a LBS. I like the look of the brooks saddle but am starting to wonder if it is the best choice for me. The fitter suggested that I may look at saddles down the road.....wait and see I guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    After movig from UK back to Poland I don't commute anymore by bike, so my cross check went from this:

to this:

much funner this way, love it.

Marcin

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcinski View Post

much funner this way, love it.

Marcin
    Agreed, that is a nice bike.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast