Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 1326
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Heck View Post
    Just registered after years of reading this forum and getting good info.

I am 5 foot 11 and ride a 54cm Cross Check. It feels roomy. On a traditional frame I would look at a 56cm but with the lowered top tube of the Cross Check( to give a more comfortable stand over when you have fat'ish tyres raising the bike up off the ground) it's normally wise to go with your normal frame size minus 2cm. I see a regular stream of CC's on ebay where people have bought the wrong frame size and never really enjoyed the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    cc is a messed up frame Geo.. If you get a comfy TT length, then you will likely experience major toe overlap ... This is my experience with my 54cm CC...
    Both of these match my experience. I'm just under 6' and ride a 54cm. Anything more than that and I'm uncomfortably stretched. I'm using VO Rando bars, but my stem isn't unusually long. I also get considerable toe overlap.

This is my first road-ish bike, and I do enjoy riding it, but can't help thinking a different frame might suit me better.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    While I have more spacers than what some consider "normal" - I'm 6'0 and I love the fit on my 58. No toe overlap, and with tweaks to the stem, it's perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Happy Spring, Cross Checkers!

Cross Check pics please-img_2843.jpg

Cross Check pics please-img_2844-2-.jpg

Cross Check pics please-img_2839.jpg

Cross Check pics please-img_2848.jpg
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey, I was just in DC last week. The cherry blossoms were awesome. I wish I had my bike every time I go there. It's just not practical to take it with me when I fly to DC for work, so I just end up going for long walks on the MUPs along the river, while envying all the cyclists passing by me.

I'm always on the lookout for Surlys in DC, and am amazed at how few I see there.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Cherry blossom season is my favorite, but DC is a pretty awesome place to ride most of the year. Incredible network of trails. Next time you're here, you should grab one of those red "bike share" bikes and go for a ride. Though, of course, most of the bike shops rent real bikes too.

You must be looking in the wrong places for Surly's, cuz there's loads of them here. Mostly commuters on LHTs and CCs. I passed three other Surly's just on my little ride yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I can't deny that the DC bike/ped trail system is excellent. It's good to see that they're very popular too. The only place I visit regularly with as many devoted cyclists is Portland, OR.

I've been too cheap to rent one of those red BikeShare bikes, but I do see lots of people using them. That's good to see too.

Let's see, I saw a Hospital Foam green CC pass me on the Mt Vernon Trail under the railroad bridge north of Reagan airport last month. And I saw a sad beat up old CC chained to a rack near the corner of 17th and I last summer. Maybe I've seen two or three before that. And I spend about six to eight weeks in DC/Alexandria/Crystal City every year. I must be at the wrong end of the bell curve when it comes to spotting Surlys in DC.

Portland has Surlys in swarms. I always see Surlys when I go there.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cross Check pics please-tc2015.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
    Both of these match my experience. I'm just under 6' and ride a 54cm. Anything more than that and I'm uncomfortably stretched. I'm using VO Rando bars, but my stem isn't unusually long. I also get considerable toe overlap.

This is my first road-ish bike, and I do enjoy riding it, but can't help thinking a different frame might suit me better.
    Sometimes I wonder if I don't know what riding should feel like; mine is a 54 and I am 5'8" only on a good day, but I have the seat relatively jacked out and 165mm cranks. Oh I needed a 0-setback seatpost and jammed the seat all the way forward on it. I have about 10k miles with it and am really happy w/ how it is set up, the only changes I have done since building it is the gearing (switching between 1x7 and SSFG as the urge strikes)

My most recent bike though (3 yrs ago) is a 53cm road frame with about a half inch of spacers under the bar and ~170mm cranks and I love that too. Seatpost is setback and seat is centered on the clamp for that one.

mtbr member
    Nice CC lookitspicasso. Can you provide more details on the custom shifter mounts?

mtbr member
    Removed...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-hb3ttira_p1.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-img_0919.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-img_0920.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-img_0923.jpg  

Last edited by lookitspicasso; 08-03-2015 at 04:24 AM.
    There is no angry way to say BUBBLES

In the Shed:
    SURLY - Cross Check 14'
    SURLY - Ogre 15' (W.I.P)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Let me apologize in advance for everything that's wrong with this post (including the reflectors and road bike wheels), but here's my Travelers Check I'm trying to get ready for a trip. Nothing more than road and bike paths on this one but I'm finding that my neck just can't take the strain any more of a 2 inch drop from saddle to bars, and as you can tell, I've cheated a bit as well. Anyway, the bike rides great. I just need to elevate the bars.

The second pic is with a fork from a La Cruz that adds about 25mm of stack. I just got this crazy notion tonight, but is this too ridiculous to consider with that much stack height? It's about 60mm to the bottom of the stem. I could swipe the brakes and wheel from the La Cruz, but have found a blue NOS fork for the Check that isn't too expensive so it wouldn't look like a clown car. Should I consider a lighter carbon fork for travel? Any fork recommendations that wouldn't be sacrilege?

...or maybe I should just HTFU, orient it the right way and slam my stem.

Cross Check pics please-check1.jpg

Cross Check pics please-check2.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa6 View Post
    I think you should throw some flat bars or cruiser bars on there and see how you like that.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    I think you should throw some flat bars or cruiser bars on there and see how you like that.
    2nd that! If you're not racing, keep it comfy, your back and neck will thank you..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    And always aim for comfort in position, 99 spacers, bars scraping the ceiling so what, your comfy :-)

In the Shed:
    SURLY - Cross Check 14'
    SURLY - Ogre 15' (W.I.P)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lookitspicasso View Post
    Thanks for the kind words,

Its a hack of these, mainly for the clamps:

Cross Check pics please-hb3ttira_p1.jpg

Thinking on working on another design next, a kelly take off style idea.

Cross Check pics please-img_0919.jpgCross Check pics please-img_0920.jpgCross Check pics please-img_0923.jpg
    Thanks for the info. Very creative.

mtbr member
    Cheer's

In the Shed:
    SURLY - Cross Check 14'
    SURLY - Ogre 15' (W.I.P)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa6 View Post
    Let me apologize in advance for everything that's wrong with this post (including the reflectors and road bike wheels), but here's my Travelers Check I'm trying to get ready for a trip. Nothing more than road and bike paths on this one but I'm finding that my neck just can't take the strain any more of a 2 inch drop from saddle to bars, and as you can tell, I've cheated a bit as well. Anyway, the bike rides great. I just need to elevate the bars.

The second pic is with a fork from a La Cruz that adds about 25mm of stack. I just got this crazy notion tonight, but is this too ridiculous to consider with that much stack height? It's about 60mm to the bottom of the stem. I could swipe the brakes and wheel from the La Cruz, but have found a blue NOS fork for the Check that isn't too expensive so it wouldn't look like a clown car. Should I consider a lighter carbon fork for travel? Any fork recommendations that wouldn't be sacrilege?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Check1.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	984517

Name:	check2.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	984520
    It looks like your frame is too small.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the replies - comfort does trump and I'm going to be running a stack of spacers and the LaCruz fork for this trip, so don't laugh at my blue and orange mullet setup if you see me. Longer term, I think flat or some type of alt bar probably would help me out if I keep this frame and I think that's in the cards to try.

Regarding the frame size, it feels better lengthwise than it looks, but I don't doubt that bolandjd is right. Here's a pic of a proportionally very pleasing 56 cm Check by gxglass on p 43 of this thread. Note how the longer head tube and fairly long stem gets the bars up with only 30 mm of spacers. Nice.

Cross Check pics please-928266d1412224349-cross-check-pics-please-xcheck1.jpg

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Don't feel bad about something looking bad if it's comfortable. I'm 5'8" with a 33" (cycling) inseam. As is, on a 56, my toes hit when I have a fender installed with 42mm tires. If I dropped down a size (or two!) it'd be my whole foot, and all the time. The bike is still plenty stable, even with an 80mm stem.

I generally find my CC more comfortable with a lower handlebar height, though.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hello folks,

I 'm Fred from the Netherlands and this is my bike. I build it this year and the only change I've made is a replace for an old DA rear derailleur because the Shimano shadow type did not perfectly gear with the bar end shifters.

Cross Check pics please-img_3227-s90.jpg
    Last edited by Fred404; 08-05-2015 at 11:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Here's my current Surly Crosscheck, this is my second. Started its life as a crosscheck SS complete build but many components have since been swapped (bars, stem, saddle, cranks, rear wheel) and recently morphed into a geared bike with a 1x10 SRAM drivetrain as my commute demanded gears.

Cross Check pics please-img_20150604_094249.jpg

This was my first crosscheck (sorry for the crappy photo). I built this one up as a SS/FG before Surly offered the SS complete. I still regret selling this one, I loved the british racing green colour. Built with Surly hubs (rootbeer coloured), salsa delgado cross rims, white ind cranks, king headset and other odds and ends. Saddle is the same one on the CC above.

Cross Check pics please-1937069_256231665127_7078718_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Cross Check pics please-imageuploadedbytapatalk1436593242.080699.jpg

Cross Check pics please-imageuploadedbytapatalk1436593273.235656.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aybee View Post

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436593242.080699.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	418.2 KB 
ID:	1001333

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436593273.235656.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	429.1 KB 
ID:	1001334
    Very nice! The newer orange looks amazing!

mtbr member
    Nice bike Aybee,

Those tires are great. I use a set daily for commuting and to hit the trails on the weekend. So versatile and fast on pavement. Mine have about 700km and only now the rear one is showing wear

mtbr member
    Thanks, i like how the orange has different tones depending on lighting - Never gets old.

I was surprised how the smart sams roll fast on pavement. Haven't tried them on the trails due to the constant rains.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aybee View Post
    Thanks, i like how the orange has different tones depending on lighting - Never gets old.

I was surprised how the smart sams roll fast on pavement. Haven't tried them on the trails due to the constant rains.
    Nice tires. Is there room for fenders?

mtbr member
    No room at the back, as clearance is already tight. Might be possible if the rear wheel is pulled all the way back.

mtbr member

MiniMotos and fenders?

Anyone running Paul MiniMotos on their CC (or LHT) with fenders? How's the clearance? What size fenders?
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Finally snapped a pic of my CC:
    Don't believe everything you think

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Got a new toy. Love it.
    56cm Black

CLICK HERE FOR THE EVER EXPANDING PICTURE COLLECTION

Taking off on the first ride.
    Ready To Rock by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

This one was right after all the parts were put on. UNCUT Steertube for anyone curious as to what it would look like. I chopped a couple inches off of mine and still have several inches above where I need the stem to be to be comfortable.
    Initial 90% Build by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

First ride water break.
    Keep Out by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

Second Ride water break.
    Untitled by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

Hit the local mtb trail on the way home. My mountain bikes are way faster, but this was just as much fun.

EDIT:
    I'm 6' tall. I have a medium 1x1 / Karate Monkey (rip) and I could easily ride a large in the mtb frame. Had a 56 steamroller in the past. Usually ride a large in Giant and Specialized MTB Frame and a 56 or ML in their road frames. Hope that helps someone out!
    Last edited by rusheleven; 08-18-2015 at 02:20 PM.

mtbr member
    I've had my CC since March and after riding it for a few months now, I'm at the point where I need to do something with it. It's just not as comfortable as I'd like it to be on longer rides. I've debated swapping the parts out on an Ogre frame, but before I do that, I think I'm going to try some new bars and a different stem.

For those riding a CC with swept back style bars, do you feel the CC is more comfortable than it was with drop bars? I'm about 6'0 and ride a size 58. For all intents and purposes, it fits me well. However, the CC geo has me stretched out more than I'd like, even with an uncut steer tube, and I feel it in my back and neck more than I should.

Any recommendations on bar/stem combos?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm a hair under 6'0, and I'm comfortable on my 60cm. I've got pretty generic cheap stem/bars from nashbar, FSA OS-190 (flipped up) and Omega Compact. My steertube is uncut, and I've got maybe an inch above the stem. See pics from rusheleven a couple posts up, I've got less tube showing above the stem than that, but also my stem is not quite so steep, so my bars above toptube is probably about the same.

But if you're stretched out on a 58, my experience probably won't help. You must have shorter arms, or longer legs or something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    6' Tall Here.
    Riding a 56 with a 110 stem that is flatish. 45mm of spacers but left the steer tube long in case I ever feel like I need to raise it.

I could do a 58 if needed but standover would be nonexistent.

Meh. I'm comfy and happy how it is for sure!

MORE PICS!

Shop Time. Tektro Mini-V. Better stopping power not as awesome lever feel. I can do stoppies now, so that's cool. by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

RATZ Night Ride by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

Toe Overlap. Kind of. 700x35 Size 12 by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post
    I've had my CC since March and after riding it for a few months now, I'm at the point where I need to do something with it. It's just not as comfortable as I'd like it to be on longer rides. I've debated swapping the parts out on an Ogre frame, but before I do that, I think I'm going to try some new bars and a different stem.

For those riding a CC with swept back style bars, do you feel the CC is more comfortable than it was with drop bars? I'm about 6'0 and ride a size 58. For all intents and purposes, it fits me well. However, the CC geo has me stretched out more than I'd like, even with an uncut steer tube, and I feel it in my back and neck more than I should.

Cross Check updates.

Hi mate, here is the text to my post from a few pages ago. Same problem as you and these changes now see the C.C as my most comfortable bike.

The pictures in the original post, just heading to bed so it's a quick and dirty copy and paste

I have been playing around with my contact points on my C.C lately. Firstly the bar, after riding my sons road bike I found the bar on my C.C to feel to small in diameter, and my position perhaps a little low and stretched.
    A 3T Ergonova pro and Ritchey WSC 25D stem had the bike feeling like new.

Riding on the tops is very comfortable now and the reach to the hoods makes riding there for long periods much easier.

I have had the Brooks B17 for a few years now and have been sold on them ever since. The addition of a Specialised CG-R Carbon Seatpost is a match made in Heaven.

The post works much better than I had hoped, it really takes the edge off road buzz. A great up grade to consider.

The seat bag is an Ortlieb Saddle-Bag in the large size. It takes a stack of gear and the three attachment points prevent it from moving around. It easily takes my normal load of a couple of spare tubes, tools, pump, food and a rain jacket with room to spare if needed. The bike is now ready to ride at anytime, just add water.

These changes have only made a great bike better and increased the enjoyment of every ride.

mtbr member

My New Zealand Cross-Check. 7 years young.

Cross Check pics please-20090808849_e3b8be7fa6_k.jpgCross Check pics please-19997809612_73291dc3ac_k.jpgCross Check pics please-20010838251_9e8da9ab3a_k.jpgCross Check pics please-19967204310_f80e86fd0d_k.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Cross Check updates.

Hi mate, here is the text to my post from a few pages ago. Same problem as you and these changes now see the C.C as my most comfortable bike.

The pictures in the original post, just heading to bed so it's a quick and dirty copy and paste

Thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Had a good ride the other day.
    Tilt by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr
    CX by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr
    CX2 by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Cross Check pics please-1606464_10202462550112402_2058782354_o.jpgCross Check pics please-img-20150310-00656.jpgCross Check pics please-img-20150425-00787.jpgCross Check pics please-surly2.jpgCross Check pics please-11707297_10206464664722766_109391683948282370_n.jpg

A few different set ups. Currently running 1x9 with a downtube friction shifter, need to get a pic.
    On heavy rotation: Stooge 27.5+ SS, On-One Fatty, On-One 456 EVO, Surly Cross-Check, Scott CR1 (SS road)

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hey guys and girls,

I'm a new member, Mark from Holland.

Here's my CC a 54 (I'm 5'10)

I'm a fan of the old skool randonneur bikes so I build it up a little retro lookin'

It has a 9 speed Dura Ace group with a XTR rear der.
    For strength I build some wide rims in those Dura ace wheels.
    The bag is from Carradice UK
    For controll I've put a 44 Salsa Cowbell on

I played around a lot with bars and stems but now with a 100mm 17 digree stem, pure bliss when riding.
    Last edited by Maverick76; 09-29-2015 at 04:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi mate that's a great setup, what tyres and fenders are you running?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi mate that's a great setup, what tyres and fenders are you running?
    I run Schwalbe Marathon's 35c. Most of my riding are 50+ Mile touring rides and on asphalt and dirt roads so that's why I use these tires. For trail riding there obvious not the best choise. But if I go trailriding I take my Cove out.

The fenders are from Gilles Berthoud made of stainless steel (50 wide) Gilles Berthoud is a French dude who makes all kinds of sweet retro style bike stuff. Like Racks, Saddles, bags, etc. The best fenders I had in 25 years of riding. No sound on bumbs or wind wiggel, eazy to clean and sturdy also offroad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Water Break by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr
    I missed the focus a bit with this one but. . . SS CX Racer
    Buffalo Bill Cyclocross - Leavenworth Kansas by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr
    Geared Racer Cat 4/5 Race
    Buffalo Bill Cyclocross - Leavenworth Kansas by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr
    Muh Ride - Everyday Mode
    Surly Crosscheck by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr
    Race day set up - Wheels got bent up good at this one. I trued them out, but they are not really race worthy any more. . . meh.
    2015 CX at Raytown BMX by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr
    Letting everyone know I'm in it to win it.
    #1 by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

Race day rear cam. I was a bit to ambitious on two passes that really put a damper on the day. Pretty sure the second wreck is what toasted my front wheel. Hitting brake pads HARD on both sides. Still finished. . . slowly.
    https://youtu.be/G9mySD5eMug
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G9mySD5eMug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Last summerr on a quick overnight ride down the length of Long Island and into New York City with my slightly custom Check-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-check.jpg  

Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    New stem and it's a whole new experience. I can even trim an inch or so off the steer tube, if I'd like to.

Cross Check pics please-new-stem-cc2.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post

Rivendell has some good Dutch style handlebar options that help my comfort on the LHT.

Handlebars by Nitto of Japan

I have the Nitto Albatross and like that. You can still use the bar end shifters.

I tried the Nitto Bosco bars also an they give a very upright riding position, it was too upright and I could not use the bar end shifter.
    On my next bike I'll probably give the Carver titanium handlebars a try.

The cork grips from Riv are mighty comfy as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

cross check build

Cross Check pics please-00c0c_53hezemtqw5_600x450.jpg

this is my cross check build. 2012 with some swap outs and upgrades. this thing is well loved, but currently for sale if anyone is interested.

3x10 drivetrain. xt derailleur out back with a sram 11-36 cassette. retroshift levers, bruce gordon tires, deore triple crankset, salsa cowbell bars.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Very cool, that's really similar to my build, also Retroshifts, with 52/39 double crankset and 11-34 cassette (and now with Marathon Supreme 700x50 aka 29x2 tires). I.e. I already got one, but I hope somebody else buys yours!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    haha thanks man. yours looks good. they're awesome bikes... now if only i could fit high volume 29er tires it would be the only bike i'd ever need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    my 700x50 are pretty high volume, I'm 250lbs and when I pump "up" my tires it's 40/60 psi front/rear, I let them get down under 30 before I bother pumping up again.

I also have a pair of Vee Rubber V12 700x50 I was trying out for a while, I swapped them out because they were wearing too fast, but if you want to ride other than pavement that could be good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Surly Crosscheck
    by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

After riding the Katy Trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Cross Check pics please-img_20151104_153434.jpg