Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Switched from Fixed to Free (white Ind Dos Eno)

And put on some new Rubbers (Vee Rubber X-C-X)

Love these tires after 1 week of riding on Dirt, Gravel, Grass and Pavement

mtbr member
    Great looking bike! I've been eyeballing all the new Vee Rubber. What other tires in that size range can you compare them to? I think that the 1.75 Vee 12s will be nice when they come out.

I <3 dirt
    Snapped some quick pics out on the trail.

99 surly cross check
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Camping with my five year old this weekend:

I'm trying H bars again, but I'm really not sure about these. It's hard to find a shifter configuration that doesn't screw up at least one of the hand positions. This setup blocked both the crossbar and the forward extensions:

I love the front bag though, it's so much more convenient here than as a saddlebag. I'm currently building up an rSogn that's optimized for front loads, and I'm curious how that's going to turn out.

Happy to say the CC did fine, even towing all of our overnight necessities (teddy bears, books, cooler, and a folding razor scooter):
    WTB: Niner SIR9, size L, first gen
    My blog about bikes and playgrounds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just finished adding some Velo Orange bits and pieces, including some snazzy golden brakes I picked up at their garage sale in April. Came out pretty I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Just finished building this up. Scored the frame used on eBay, build up mostly with parts I had waiting, and built up the wheelset. So far so good, and I actually like the brown, which I was skeptical about at first.

Cross Check by jstewse, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    got a query on the use of fenders, i bought a set of SKS P45's and from what i can see i'm going to get some toe strike, in fact i had toe strike just riding it around in my driveway!
    i have a 46 size shoe and this is on a 52cm cross check.

is this a common problem?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstews View Post
    Just finished building this up. Scored the frame used on eBay, build up mostly with parts I had waiting, and built up the wheelset. So far so good, and I actually like the brown, which I was skeptical about at first.

Great looking bike. Mine is the light grey color from a few years ago. The colors definitely let people know that you are on a Surly!
    Currently reviewing an Ibex Maroc 29er

mtbr member
    You have relatively big feet, a small frame, and fenders, while riding slowly... so yes, toe overlap could be a problem in that situation. Should be OK once you're rolling, since you can't turn the wheel far enough to hit.

If this really bothers you, look into a new frame. 650B + low trail is a good way to cure toe overlap. The 650B wheel is smaller, putting it further away, and the low trail fork kicks the front wheel away from you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    got a query on the use of fenders, i bought a set of SKS P45's and from what i can see i'm going to get some toe strike, in fact i had toe strike just riding it around in my driveway!
    i have a 46 size shoe and this is on a 52cm cross check.

is this a common problem?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks for that, you're probably right, i've decided to give the fenders a miss for a while, the bike is apart again waiting for new shifters, i'll look into it again when i get it built.
    when i compare it to my troll (size 18") my toe doesn't even look like coming close (running 26" wheels, 2" rubber and 2" fenders)

mtbr member
    The Troll has a longer top tube, smaller wheels, and a slacker head tube angle... all of these things push the front wheel farther away.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    thanks for that, you're probably right, i've decided to give the fenders a miss for a while, the bike is apart again waiting for new shifters, i'll look into it again when i get it built.
    when i compare it to my troll (size 18") my toe doesn't even look like coming close (running 26" wheels, 2" rubber and 2" fenders)

I <3 dirt
    I finally got it perfectly set up.

99 surly cross check
    Sun ringle cyclocross wheel set
    Schwalbe cx pro tires
    Avid single digit brakes
    Salsa steel stem
    Salsa bars
    Truvativ rouleur cranks
    E13 xcx cx guide
    SRAM red rear dérailleur
    SRAM red shifters/levers
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

I <3 29ers
    Had Ilikebmx999 had his bike in here he may never have found it again!

Went out for a little ride today. Decided to take a look at some of those "I wonder what's down there" trails that branched out from the paved path I was on. The bike-tall growth of miscellaneous greenery had me wanting road drop bars on several occasions. Thinking about it a little more now. It's not like I venture into growth like that often, so ... *shrug* Ultimately i'd find it a more useful feature to have simply for not having my shirt catch the end of the flat bar when i'm walking by! (I swear handlebars and trees are related - gotta be from the same ninja family or something, always jumping to grab ya! )

Ideally I had a destination in mind - North. Farther North than what i'd managed. I happened upon a photo-op and managed to turn it, rather gracelessly, into a flat-op ... as evidenced by the "I couldn't do that again if I tried" flat rear wheel stance with the "Lake" in the background. So the Karma's are going back on after I click the "Submit Reply" button!

Still had a smile, ugly as it is, on my face at the end of it all ... whilst waiting for the cavalry to arrive. Yeah, dumbo here managed to remember the flat tire repair kit, but not his pump.

Still a great morning ride. Can't remember how many people I said "good morning" to while out there, stopped counting over 20.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

I <3 29ers
    Found myself having a quick peek through this thread last night. It started innocently enough, but wound up turning into a (rum-insipred) mission ... not many CrossChecks in here with 4-bolt mtn cranks. Less than a dozen bikes so far, iirc ... ? (again, rum was involved in the count last night! )

Interesting.

... and cookies.

I <3 29ers
    Let the post whoring continue!

Not one to be denied, I got to business after a meal and a break, and was back at it again. Changes aplenty already!

Gone are the black Deore 170mm cranks and 36/48T rings. Currently in place, and desperately needed/missed, are 175mm Deore 582s lovingly carrying a 32/44T set up. MUCH better on all counts. These long-a$$ legs'o'mine just can't spin those short cranks. It's not a placebo effect - still gonna have to get myself back onto 180s.

The Kenda Karmas are back and making me need my bell less (funny how *whirwhirwhirwhir* works nearly as well as *ringring* ).

Decided to run flats again. Rocked the Azonic Mags for this ride. Strange how I am finding it so easy to get back into riding flats again, when I used to be so pro-clipless. *shrug* Meh, whatever, i'll take it!

Seat position changed. My butt and prostate are happier now ... and i'm starting to think that the next change might be drop bars. I can put power into the cranks again and it's really REALLY ****ing with my chi ... and not in a good way. I'm not used to having a big-tired bike that posesses geometry that is so sensitive to contact point alteration. My 29ers are usually "get it with 5-10mm and it's good". Not so with this Cross Check.

Interesting. I like it!

Oh yeah ... pics ...

Perhaps more a Passion post. Meh, whatever, i'm happy to have something to share.

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Tried many handlebars and dropbars, ended up with on-one mary. Fatties Fit Fine, yes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    We built up another CC for my fiancé. Which means I got to transfer some stock parts out for some new ones.

New pedals, Ultegra shifter, Deore RD, Mavic rear to 105 hub.

I've been keeping the fenders and racks off mine lately. It's so much fun to ride now that it's lighter and zippier.

Muh lady's chariot:

🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

44mm Bruce Gordon tires. Front fender still fit, no go on the rear though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's strange, my fenders fit with 46mm Schwalbe Marathon on wider rims.

mtbr member

Schwalbes

Quote Originally Posted by nameresu View Post
    That's strange, my fenders fit with 46mm Schwalbe Marathon on wider rims.
    Schwalbes often run smaller than the stated size. The 46mm Marathons actually measure 41 according to Rivendell who I purchased my 46mm Marathons from. Still, I was unable to squeeze in fenders. The widest tire/fender combo I've managed has been 40mm Marathons (actual 38) and a SKS P45.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Schwalbes often run smaller than the stated size. The 46mm Marathons actually measure 41 according to Rivendell who I purchased my 46mm Marathons from. Still, I was unable to squeeze in fenders. The widest tire/fender combo I've managed has been 40mm Marathons (actual 38) and a SKS P45.
    I have 45mm cascadia fenders, rear does not work w/ these tires, and 22.5-25mm rims. I suppose wider rims could make a tire less tall?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

bicyclerust.com

50cm cross check. with Velocity cliff hanger rims, Schwalbe Marathon Dureme 50c tires, Jeff Jones bar, Farfarer front rack and trailer and Rohloff hub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-farfarer-trailer.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-dropout.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

nothing special but...

got me through several years of commuting to work (46 miles round-trip).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclerust View Post
    50cm cross check. with Velocity cliff hanger rims, Schwalbe Marathon Dureme 50c tires, Jeff Jones bar, Farfarer front rack and trailer and Rohloff hub.
    Awesome build. Was the disc mount added to a cross-check fork or is that a disc-trucker fork? Plan to leave it raw?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstews View Post
    Awesome build. Was the disc mount added to a cross-check fork or is that a disc-trucker fork? Plan to leave it raw?
    The fork is a surly long haul trucker fork. I have clear coated the frame. To try and keep it looking ruff as I am on a touring trip at the moment and don't want my bike to get stolen. (again) You can view more at Bicycle rust & Foam dust - For the love of life, adventure & freedom...
    Thanks for the complement.

Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast