Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Tiger View Post
    Okay, So.. I like have this um.. "friend" who is now convinced he needs TWO Cross Checks.

"he" isn't crazy is he?

My "friend" probably knows exactly how your "friend" feels.

Cross Check pics please-photo0053.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    very awesome XC

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Tiger View Post
    Okay, So.. I like have this um.. "friend" who is now convinced he needs TWO Cross Checks.

"he" isn't crazy is he?
    nope, you're not crazy. I had two before I sold one in for the Troll

Had one as adisc hauler

and as a phat tire fixed gear mini-hauler

but now the disc has taken on being a fixed gear weather bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Great pics. I'm digging the flat bar builds... like a Neo-Retro early 90's rigid MTB.

I thought I wanted a Disc-Trucker but my enthusiasm for discs is cooling. I don't NEED them as much as I thought I did.

I've been wanting to build a bike from scratch for I while now, and building a bike I already know I LOVE makes the most sense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewto View Post
    (i'll make this a 2-for-1 post ... )

anyone who loves the cross check that much surely isn't crazy. At least not in my books ...

Tonight i finally had my first ride on my initial build. Just local neighbourhood streets and front lawns (ssshhhhhh! Lol). Wow, again! Another very pleasing first impression - just as the first time i laid eyes on the frame and fork i continue to be impressed with the ride. Handling is something uncharacteristic to me considering the size of the tires. Big tired bikes "shouldn't" turn this quick!

my primary use on this bike is work commuter. If this set up does as well as i believe it may then this could very easily be my go-to bike for work and play. Perhaps a change of pedals and tires between the two uses will be in order - speculation at this point. I'm sure i will have fun testing it all out.

I built it up with a mix of purpose-picked and throw-together parts. The wheels don't match, neither do the brakes, and i'm sure i'll be dying for a carbon bar in short order. Initial build is all it is right now. I actually had it built up with a drop bar and cantis but gave my head a shake when i realized i was building this bike for me, not the uci rule book. I'm sure this'll all change as i get it dialed in.

For those that'll wonder - 60cm frame, kenda karma 29x1.9s on alex da22 front and alex da28 rear rims. Plenty of clearance. (actually had a kenda sb8 29x2.0 on the rear but clearance is uncomfortably tight - like "fart and it'll rub" tight hahahah!)

call me crazy, but as i said before i can easily see this becoming a bike that get's a twin sibling though the year - one geared and one ss. :d (the dropouts make it soooooo easy, too!)

what post in a picture thread would be complete without pics ...
    wow!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    At the risk of becoming an accomplice to your hijacking, welcome to the forum. If you do a quick search, you will find loads of discussions on the pros and cons of different kind of shifters and brakes. So rather than go into it too much here, I'll just say that the barcons are really easy to get used to, especially since they are indexed, just like your Rapid Fires. In fact, I dare say they are rapider firing than Rapid Fires because you can go from your biggest cog to the smallest (and vice versa) with one fluid motion whereas Rapid Fires will wear out your finger/thumb to do the same thing. As for cantilever brakes - they're better than detractors say and not as good as the retro grouches think, but they'll stop you just fine. As far as I'm concerned, canti's (or V-brakes) are just part of the vibe of the bike. You can improve the performance of the stock brakes fairly easily and inexpensively. But, on the otherhand, there are lots of great steel CX and 29er frames that have disc brakes, if that's what you really want - especially from great English brands like On One and Singular. Cheers.
    Thanks for the advice - I appreciate it. I got a generous test ride today from the good folks at Brixton Cycles and I have to say the ride is fabulously smooth.

I did quite like the action of the shifters actually - feels very 'direct', the remaining qualm being the placement. Would need to think ahead a little more for shifting.

I did feel quite high up, surprisingly. I expected a bit more of a low-slung feel. I was on a 58 with extra spacers on the stem, but they'll have a smaller frame for me to try later.

Brakes were OK - I suspect I'd be looking to upgrade them. Admittedly I've been spoilt with hydraulic discs, and was glad of the latter on the way home through stair-rod rain and heavy traffic - I definitely won't be chopping the current one in under any circumstances.

Looking forward to having another try on their Cross Checks - I noted they also had Cotics and Genesis in there, and I will also be on the lookout to try On One and Singular if I can track down a central/south London dealer (would definitely be a save-up project for next summer in these cases!)

Meanwhile it's very interesting food for thought seeing all these different permutations - seems like this is an excellent platform for modifications/upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by noisepolluter View Post
    seems like this is an excellent platform for modifications/upgrades.
    Bingo! I think that's the magic of the Cross Check. Its not the latest or greatest or bestest at any one thing. Its a really versatile frame that you can make your own in a hundred different ways. Poor man's custom.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice looking bike.
    What fork are you using? And what size tire can fit in there.
    Thanks.
    matt.
    Bicycle rust & Foam dust - For the love of life, adventure & freedom...

mtbr member
    +1 on the flat bar CC! And I'm also running mine with a derailer-less double. Works pretty well for me. Pics someday.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO View Post
    (I'll make this a 2-for-1 post ... )

Anyone who loves the Cross Check that much surely isn't crazy. At least not in my books ...
    FS: Chinese carbony goodness, trade for a steel frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclerust View Post
    Nice looking bike.
    What fork are you using? And what size tire can fit in there.
    Thanks.
    matt.
    Bicycle rust & Foam dust - For the love of life, adventure & freedom...
    thanks, it's a dimension cyclocross disc fork. The A-C length is close to the original fork to keep the handling about the same. I'm running SKS P50 fenders with a 35mm Pasela TG tire on a Delgado rim, but that's about the largest it can go with fenders. Haven't tried how large without fenders, but I'm guessing around 38-40mm max

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm now becoming worryingly fixated on the idea of a robin's egg blue Cross Check with matching Brooks B17 and leather grip tape (in brown, obviously). mmmmmm...!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO View Post
    (I'll make this a 2-for-1 post ... )

Anyone who loves the Cross Check that much surely isn't crazy. At least not in my books ...

Tonight I finally had my first ride on my initial build. Just local neighbourhood streets and front lawns (ssshhhhhh! lol). WOW, again! Another very pleasing first impression - just as the first time I laid eyes on the frame and fork I continue to be impressed with the ride. Handling is something uncharacteristic to me considering the size of the tires. Big tired bikes "shouldn't" turn this quick!

My primary use on this bike is work commuter. If this set up does as well as I believe it may then this could very easily be my go-to bike for work and play. Perhaps a change of pedals and tires between the two uses will be in order - speculation at this point. I'm sure I will have fun testing it all out.

I built it up with a mix of purpose-picked and throw-together parts. The wheels don't match, neither do the brakes, and i'm sure i'll be dying for a carbon bar in short order. Initial build is all it is right now. I actually had it built up with a drop bar and cantis but gave my head a shake when I realized I was building this bike for ME, not the UCI rule book. I'm sure this'll all change as I get it dialed in.

For those that'll wonder - 60cm frame, Kenda Karma 29x1.9s on Alex DA22 front and Alex DA28 rear rims. PLENTY of clearance. (actually had a Kenda SB8 29x2.0 on the rear but clearance is uncomfortably tight - like "fart and it'll rub" tight HAHAHAH!)

Call me crazy, but as I said before I can easily see this becoming a bike that get's a twin sibling though the year - one geared and one ss. (the dropouts make it soooooo easy, too!)

What post in a picture thread would be complete without pics ...
    nice one!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i'm so excited to hear all thos positive talk about the cc, i've just recently purchased a frameset and it's arrived in the country already, hopefully tuesday i'll have it, my first packed of parts arrived today(on a saturday!) and the rest "should" be here next week.
    all new parts, all hand picked by me, to be built by me, i'm so excited!

i've spoiled myself in recent weeks with me just completing my custom Troll only a few days ago and now this! i've gone from no Surly's to 2 in the space of a week!

My carbon race bike sits lonely in the corner

I <3 dirt
    Those small block 8's look impressive on there!
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

I <3 29ers
    This week will mark the beginning of my CC being put through it's paces - commuting to work! Probably gonna run the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters clipless pedals for a ride or two and see how that goes. It'll make short work the the curb-hopping. May or may not swap out the Karmas before then.

Also of particular interest, despite being a completely useless feature lol - I had to do a u-turn with it on the pathway the other day while I was out riding with the nephew. These are the paved pathways that travel through neighbourhood backyards connecting from park to park, playground to playground. So enter the u-turn - I was able to come to a nearly complete stop, turn the bars 90 degrees, pedals very slowly and get it around within the narrow space of the paved pathway, pivoting around on the rear wheel. NEVER done that on any bike before in my life. It was truly an incredible moment! I was beside myself.

But yeah, like I said - completely useless feature.

Will see about posting commute pics through the week. Somehow.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    +1 on the flat bar CC! And I'm also running mine with a derailer-less double. Works pretty well for me. Pics someday.
    So far, with what little riding i've done i'm thinking the flatbar, or maybe a riser, will stay in place. I respect the roadbar set up, but haven't felt the need for it ... yet.

As for the crank area - only reason it's like "that" (drives me nuts lol) is because i'm out of single chain ring bolts. Go figure, both of my Misfit Psycles diSSents are currently built up ss, as is my Marin Hamilton 29er. Will put in an order for more bolts very soon, I just want to get a few days of commuting in to see if I need/want anything else. I will also fabricate my own chain keeper - something simple and effective. I want to run the middle chain ring only - currently a 36T, Gotta see if that needs to change. I don't need anything bigger for the street, and certainly not for the trail, so the 34T Salsa single ring I have may be employed.

And oh ****in' hell yeah there'll be singletrack pics with those Kenda Karmas soon enough!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not exactly a flatbar but Surly's Torsion bar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-bigwood1.jpg  

I <3 dirt
    Back together again! Can't wait to ride it.
    Cross Check pics please-imageuploadedbytapatalk1339440044.097320.jpg
    Cross Check pics please-imageuploadedbytapatalk1339440059.508830.jpg
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    wow!
    I love your green
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

I <3 dirt
    Thank you! I had it powder coated over the winter and then after a few rides in spring my shifter finally died. Just finished putting the new drivetrain on it. I think it turned out great for a bike I bought 13 years ago!
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    13 years!
    You take good care of your ccheck really well

I <3 dirt
    Oh it was in rough shape last year! I posted the pics in this thread a while back. it's had a rough life but it can take it.

WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    I'm impressed
    Makes me wanna get another one and build it as fixie or singlespeed

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Finally Done

56cm Frame
    Crankset Velo Orange Triple 170mm, 48-36-24
    Bottom Bracket VO Grand Cru 116mm, English
    Cassette Deore HG 50 11-34, 9 speed
    Front Derailleur Sora triple
    Rear Derailleur Deore long cage
    Chain SRAM PC-991 9 speed
    Brake Levers Cane Creek SCR -5C Compact Aero
    Brakes Paul Touring Cantis
    Shifters Dura Ace 9 speed Down-tube
    Salsa Cowbell 2 Bar 42 cm
    Stem Thompson Elite 90mm, 10 deg rise
    Headset VO Grand Cru 1 1/8" threadless
    Hubs Deore XT
    Wheels Velocity Dyad
    Tires Schwalbe Dureme 700x40c

For reference, I'm 5'9", 32" inseam. It's borderline, and I may have been better off with a 54cm frame, but I can stand over the top tube comfortably enough.

ps. I apologize for these photos taking up so much of the page, if I knew how to make them smaller and line up better, I would.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-dsc00547.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-dsc00549.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-dsc00550.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-dsc00552.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-dsc00554.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emat View Post
    56cm Frame
    Crankset Velo Orange Triple 170mm, 48-36-24
    Bottom Bracket VO Grand Cru 116mm, English
    Cassette Deore HG 50 11-34, 9 speed
    Front Derailleur Sora triple
    Rear Derailleur Deore long cage
    Chain SRAM PC-991 9 speed
    Brake Levers Cane Creek SCR -5C Compact Aero
    Brakes Paul Touring Cantis
    Shifters Dura Ace 9 speed Down-tube
    Salsa Cowbell 2 Bar 42 cm
    Stem Thompson Elite 90mm, 10 deg rise
    Headset VO Grand Cru 1 1/8" threadless
    Hubs Deore XT
    Wheels Velocity Dyad
    Tires Schwalbe Dureme 700x40c

For reference, I'm 5'9", 32" inseam. It's borderline, and I may have been better off with a 54cm frame, but I can stand over the top tube comfortably enough.
    Very Nice.

Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast