Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 1,401 to 1,438 of 1438
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got out for a nice little ramble today...aside from the swarms of bugs and occasional 20+ mph wind gust which magically shifted to become a headwind for much of the ride...didnt really get to stop and eat anything until i was already 33 miles in so i was getting a bit cracky by the time i got back to town...thankfully,the burrito exist...

Cross Check pics please-img_20170502_105818309_hdr.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170502_111950511.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170502_122746729_hdr.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170502_130141886.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Hamster, looks like great riding country, green too. I eat every hour these days, staves off the cranky man. An Aussie meat pie always goes down well. One of my riding loops has the best pie shop half way around. Always like that ride for some reason

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i tried to stop but the bugs were just insane,i had planned a nice long break but after a couple minutes i abandoned that idea...plus i made an attempt at taking a strava KOM along the way so i was pretty much just hammering away for a good 10 miles and then jumped right into another long segment where i was battling the wind almost the entire way...and during that i expended a bunch of energy cursing the wind loudly and calling its parentage into question...so all in all a fairly silly ride...and even worse,i didnt actually complete the ride i intended since the lure of food,and also having a tailwind,got me turned towards burrito-ville and thence,home...
    and so now,in a further display of strava based stupidity im gonna have to repeat the ride since i got within 7 seconds on the first segment,and a couple minutes on the longer one so i know im gonna try again and want to complete the route from dam to dam...

anywho...yeah,its a great cross check/straggler route,about 75% bike path/ditch banks/river levee roads and pretty much flat the whole way so in general easy pedaling unless you're doing something silly like chasing strava records...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Hamster, I was Strava Stupid for awhile as well, a near major crash chasing a KOM near home and a few rides were I was a bit of a Dick to other Mountain Bikers made me give it up. A first I thought it was only going to be a brief break, now I see life is a race to the finish line and I want to take the slowest trail to the end

Enjoy your time riding...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    oh i agree,that aspect of strava can be a bit silly and can be taken way too seriously,im mainly interested in keeping track of how many miles i ride a year,the whole kom thing is more of a lark for me since im well aware how meaningless they are except as a measure of personal progress...anyway,its amusing on occasion,sometimes its fun to go fast for no particular reason,but with summer fast approaching it will be time to slow back down and try and not get heat stroke!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    oh yeah,my new wheels should be ready this week...a set of red hope pro4's from my old krampus wheels,i gave the rabbit holes and a set of chronicles to a pugs owner so he could build up a krampug,a new pair of alex adventurer rims,the pair that came with my ogre that are on the cc now have thousands of miles on them with never a problem which is a good enough recommendation for me...and a good width if i want to use them on one of the other bikes that would take a wider tire...

mtbr member

digging the cross check.

Cross Check pics please-img_8633.jpg

Added some knobbies and new grips. I really dig this bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got my new wheels/tires in today...
    alex adventurer2 rims.hope pro4 hubs,dt swiss spokes and nipples,wtb riddler 700x45c tires...

Cross Check pics please-dsc04991.jpgCross Check pics please-dsc04992.jpgCross Check pics please-dsc04993.jpgCross Check pics please-dsc04994.jpgCross Check pics please-dsc04995.jpg

mtbr member
    Your bike looks great. I got out for a 20 mile ride on my CC today, a mix of dirt, mud, pavement, a steady climb and a steep descent. I'm so glad I never parted with that bike after all these years. It'll be getting new tires in the next 2 weeks. Not sure if I'll go with Riddlers or Ramblers.

I continue to think about building up a second one with parts I have laying around. I think I'm lucky that 60cm frames are out of stock. Also, I remain distracted by running for some dumb reason.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Cross Check pics please-img_20170507_113735929.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you were to single speed that tire rim combo, where do you figure the axle lands in the drop?

Edit to add...can't find inner width on that rim? I ask cuz I'm on Schwalbe CX 38s on Mavic Open Pros and they're pretty squidgy if I push it in the turns. Trying to figure the maximum rim+tire combo that leaves healthy clearance. Really like the width and tread on that Riddler.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    that would depend on the gear of course...

i dunno on the rim width but they are fairly wide so i would guess >25mm,the riddlers did good today aside from the valve stem going bad on me and then i cracked it trying to get it to stop leaking,but the tires did great on pavement,ditch banks,and a quick singletrack loop...plenty of cushion too...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    took a bit of wrestling but i finally got the rear tire valve stem replaced and the tire set back up tubeless...

and since it was clean again...

Cross Check pics please-dsc05024.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    New tires arrived today (Panaracer Gravel King SK 40c). Excited to put them to use this weekend on a lengthy mixed terrain ride.

Cross Check pics please-33753557503_63a784631a_c.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The daily driver
    Cross Check pics please-crosscheck.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ran across this handsome critter on the cc today..

Cross Check pics please-img_20170510_112950982.jpg

mtbr member
    I'll take snow and cold for 5 months out of the year just to avoid those! lol
    Surly Ice Cream Truck
    Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post
    I'll take snow and cold for 5 months out of the year just to avoid those! lol
    not a rattler...its a corn snake or something like that...although i dont remember eating any corn!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got out for a nice long ride today...basically a repeat or perhaps re-attempt at the ride i did last week since i had intended to ride further along the irrigation ditch on the outward bound leg,and then do the long pull from dam to dam along the river...#sandy's big dirty V....

plus i found a much better spot for a break to eat and re-invigorate my mind...ahem...#bacon&waffles&dank....
    Cross Check pics please-img_20170511_103537987_hdr.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170511_103245887_hdr.jpg

see the mountain peak in the background? for some crazy reason matterhorn and i dragged our bikes up there,and for the creamy filling in the donut of madness that was that ride,we capped it off with 3 miles of push-wacking down the nastiest arroyo ive ever been in with a bike...
    Cross Check pics please-img_20170511_103008848.jpg

the rest of the ride was mainly on river levee roads..
    #take me vaguely in the direction of home,country roads
    Cross Check pics please-img_20170511_110653777.jpg

and a quick rest and medication....ahem,i mean meditation spot in a pecan grove...
    #alwaysstopforshade
    Cross Check pics please-img_20170511_123549457_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Hamster, those look like great roads to ride on your CC. The bike looks like a street racer without the frame bag.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Couple steps closer on my CC build today. Hampsterspam's over flow was kindly directed my way. As of today I've got wheels, cranks, seat post, brakes and levers, and pedals. Excited to rip those levees and dirt roads in Cone Country.

Well done H-spam on the waffles and bacon. You always say you need to eat more--looks like more! Thanks for the parts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi Hamster, those look like great roads to ride on your CC. The bike looks like a street racer without the frame bag.
    yup,it was a perfect cc route aside from a few short sections that were pretty loose and minimal road time,once i got on the river roads it was nice and quiet and pretty good roads so i just ripped down that section

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    Couple steps closer on my CC build today. Hampsterspam's over flow was kindly directed my way. As of today I've got wheels, cranks, seat post, brakes and levers, and pedals. Excited to rip those levees and dirt roads in Cone Country.

Well done H-spam on the waffles and bacon. You always say you need to eat more--looks like more! Thanks for the parts.
    waffles and bacon for the win! the waffles are great,easy to carry,about a gazillion calories and of course bacon is bacon...but the waffles,way better than those honey stinger waffle thingys...i could have eaten again on the way home and it would have been less grindy...im thinking baylor is gonna require 4 food stops...and im hoping packing the bike will make the hiking bits easier,and the rest i will be under-biking which is always fun...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Had a great ride yesterday with my gf. We've made it a Sunday tradition to go on a longer mixed terrain ride usually stopping for food and some relaxation at a beach or lake along the way.

Cross Check pics please-fullsizerender-6.jpg

Little Snapchat story from the day:

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Just got done with the first little tour on the Travel Check. Was rad. Super glad to be rocking 38s and Jones bars. Gearing was spot on for this trip but may need to drop 2t on the front little ring for more hill intensive adventures.
    Cross Check pics please-idjesb4.jpg
    Cross Check pics please-kmv2zqi.jpg
    Cross Check pics please-syaxxnm.jpg
    Cross Check pics please-saece4fh.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    went for a fine cross check ride today...took a little road trip and climbed emory pass from hillsboro nm...a nice little out and back with a good size climb,then a ripping ride back down to town....2 hours up and a 1/2 hour back down...
    once again...#wafflesandbaconanddank ftw!
    Cross Check pics please-img_20170521_113109201.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170521_113824859.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170521_133003956.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170521_134047499.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170521_134058270.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Looks great. Bummed I missed it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    it was a proper mountain pass climb...great switchbacks and twisty bits,not too steep for the most part until right at the end...i managed to hover around 7mph pretty much the whole way up..im just happy i managed the climb in a single push...even rode back about a mile to let the boys catch up...however briefly...great descent,only in the 30's so it didnt feel too hairball...the riddlers really dug in quite nicely,and the brakes worked much better than i thought they might....and for sure i used the heck out of the 42 tooth cog,sure made the climbing tolerable...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    it was a proper mountain pass climb...great switchbacks and twisty bits,not too steep for the most part until right at the end...i managed to hover around 7mph pretty much the whole way up..im just happy i managed the climb in a single push...even rode back about a mile to let the boys catch up...however briefly...great descent,only in the 30's so it didnt feel too hairball...the riddlers really dug in quite nicely,and the brakes worked much better than i thought they might....and for sure i used the heck out of the 42 tooth cog,sure made the climbing tolerable...
    How many teeth up front? Thanks.
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    its a 1x11 with a wolftooth 36 tooth oval up front so pretty much purpose built for easy climbing...and i certainly made abundant use of the sram double tap since it made it easy to transition from standing to seated climbing without breaking cadence...it was my first HC rated climb so im pretty pleased just to have been able to power it out without stopping...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Nicholas nice looking ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    HI James, thats a nice looking Check, I have Jones bars on my Troll and have wondered what the CC would be like with them, looks like a great setup.

How long does it take to build up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Hamster, looks like a great place to ride. I googled up Emery Pass and found the New Mexico Touring Society page plenty of rides for you on there.

Looking at the profile of the climb a 36 tooth was a good call.

Enjoying your ride reports.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    HI James, thats a nice looking Check, I have Jones bars on my Troll and have wondered what the CC would be like with them, looks like a great setup.

How long does it take to build up?
    Name's not James -- that's my dad

I dig the Jones bars on it. My first setup with them. Was a little nervous after the first week of commuting on them as I found myself only using the back position. Turns out though once headwinds kick up and pace gets faster that area position is super handy and comfy.

Takes about an hour or so to build up. The benefit of S&S definitely isn't saving time compared to packing in a bike box. It's value is in the ease of moving around once you get to your destination, throwing it in the back of most any car, and checking it for free on the plane.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Here's mine again, this time with drops. I've been through 4 different sets of flat and alt bars and I think this finally nails it for this bike for me.
    I was able to use all my existing 1x11 SLX mountain components and also my SD-5 v-brakes by going with the Gevenalle GX shifter: https://gevenalle.com/product/gx/
    Bars are Cowbell 3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-cross-check-drops.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I ran Cow Bells when I had my Xcheck. Migrated to my Pacer & still loving them!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by subversion View Post
    I ran Cow Bells when I had my Xcheck. Migrated to my Pacer & still loving them!
    I haven't ridden drops in about 5 years, but I can already tell I really dig these. The bike feels like the handling is the way it was intended to be now. I'm dialing in the cockpit still though, just got a new seatpost today (Thompson, zero setback--definite improvement over the stock one that came w/the bike). Gonna take a little time for my middle-aged body to adapt to the more roadie position, having been in a pretty chilled-out upright position for the last few years on this bike, and then only on my MTB otherwise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jbass View Post
    Gonna take a little time for my middle-aged body to adapt to the more roadie position, having been in a pretty chilled-out upright position for the last few years on this bike, and then only on my MTB otherwise.
    Yeah 48 years young here & I prefer comfort over aero too. Got a stack of spacers under the stem to bring the bars & seat about level.... I like the way the Cowbells feel so naturally comfortable no matter where your hands are resting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    picked up a white industries eno hub for 70 bucks at a swap meet...brand new,never laced up so i got another alex adventurer rim and got a wheel built up...already have two w.i. dos enos,a 17/19 which i used here,and a 20/22 so it should still be able to carry a touring load with a change of freewheel and perhaps chainring...

some salsa bars i had cut down a bit,cane creek flat top levers...i already swapped the front wheel for another adventurer rim with silver sides,the red hope wheels will go on the straggler now with the 1x11 setup..

Cross Check pics please-dsc05031.jpgCross Check pics please-dsc05034.jpgCross Check pics please-dsc05035.jpg

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Members who have read this thread: 181