Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,400 of 1467
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Boardwalk Racer Build

Just finished this build up. Kinda of a boardwalk racer inspired commuter. Built mostly from spare parts, but some new too. It is for sale locally if anyone is interested.

Build Sheet

Frame: 2016 Surly Crosscheck - 58cm - Cuba Libre
    Fork: Surly Crosscheck
    Headset: FSA Hammer 1 1/8
    Bottom Bracket: Sram GXP
    Crankset: Truvativ Stylo GXP
    Chainring: Porkchop BMX 39t - anodized purple
    Stem: Dimension 90mm
    Handlebars: FSA Metroplis
    Brake Levers: Avid SD 2.0 - Red Ano
    Brakes: Shimano V-Brake m40XX
    Brake Pads: Kool Stop Blue Ano/Red Ano Brake Bridge
    Shifter: Shimano Deore XT Thumbie 7s
    Rear Der: Shimano Deore m591-sgs
    Chain: Sram 851
    Grips: Surly Take-Off
    Cables/Housing: Jagwire
    Seatpost: Thompson Elite
    Saddle: Chromag Trailmaster LTD
    Wheelset: Shimano HB-m475/WTB Dual Duty
    Tires: Schwalbe Big Apple 29x2.00

A God Without A Name
    Anyone who doesn't find that bike sharp is a damn dirty liar.

mtbr member
    Agreed - very nice build. I love seeing the 2" Big Apples on there. I need to get a set of those for mine!
    Surly Ice Cream Truck
    Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Couple of additional pics of my new flat bar set up. It's a 100mm/15 degree salsa stem and the bars are salsa ProMoto 2. While I like the Kenda 35c knobby tires on there now, after seeing Kevin's build with the big apples, I know what my next purchase will be!

Cross Check pics please-img_0970.jpg

Cross Check pics please-img_0977.jpg

Cross Check pics please-img_0972.jpg
    Surly Ice Cream Truck
    Surly Krampus

mtbr member

Double duties

This was my Cross-Check yesterday:

Cross Check pics please-img_20160526_144415.jpg

(1x10 with a Sram x7 derailleur and rival shifter/brakes on a Gary 2 bar.)

and this is it today:

Cross Check pics please-img_20160526_184308.jpg

(For its second birthday, I swapped in a Salsa Salt Flat 3 with an x5 shifter, some cheap Shimano short-pull brake levers, and ESI chunky grips.)

I've removed the Surly decals (took off the head badge after these photos) and took off most component branding with acetone (Ritchey components are great for this) or covered it up with black sharpie (redid the cranks after this picture, too). Might keep an eye out for some cheap plain handlebar plugs.

I've (hopefully) got a Surly 24-pack rack on the way (it's backordered).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice clean build, tallest. I like it. That'd be a sweet old skool trail bike with some knobby tires.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    It does look pretty sweet with some big knobby tires, but most of my riding is on pavement these days. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture with my 45c Panaracer Fire Cross tires on it. The 40c Schwalbe Marathon Mondials pictured do pretty well on the occasional trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hey all, new to the forum. Was looking locally for a new bike and ended up grabbing this used 2006 cross check. It's a stock complete from what I can gather. Any recommendations on first upgrades?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looks pretty nice already, not sure that any upgrades are really needed, but...

In my opinion I'd get some Gevenalle levers to move those bar-ends up to the hoods.
    Shifters | Product Categories | Gevenalle

Maybe some fatter rubber, because, why have a Surly if you want skinny tires?

Can't tell clors with the B&W photo, but bright-colored accents (housing, bar tape, saddle?) can look cool

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmalone1 View Post
    Hey all, new to the forum. Was looking locally for a new bike and ended up grabbing this used 2006 cross check. It's a stock complete from what I can gather. Any recommendations on first upgrades?

Congrats on the new bike. I think the brakes that came with the CCs in 2006 weren't so great. I use Tektro CR720s on my CC and LHT and I'm pretty happy with them. They're inexpensive. And like another poster suggested, consider some fatter tires. Earlier today I was thinking about how there are so many options for nice wide tires. For years it seemed like if you wanted a fatter road tire you had to go with a touring tire. But now there's an abundance of supple tires in the 35 to 40mm range. You might want to also consider some fenders if you're not riding off road too much. Enjoy!
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
    Looks pretty nice already, not sure that any upgrades are really needed, but...

In my opinion I'd get some Gevenalle levers to move those bar-ends up to the hoods.
    Shifters | Product Categories | Gevenalle

Maybe some fatter rubber, because, why have a Surly if you want skinny tires?

Can't tell clors with the B&W photo, but bright-colored accents (housing, bar tape, saddle?) can look cool
    I'm coming from a beach cruiser so I have no idea what "move the bar ends up to the hood means, is it just that the levers on the stock cantis are really longs shorter ones would be better?

Any recommendations on the tires? And does that mean I need a whole new wheel assembly too? Sorry I know a ton about surfboards and zero about bikes.

The bike is gloss black. I have some ideas on color, was looking at the Supacaz tape options to brighten up. Seems like a lot of guys go w the black and brown but I'm definitely a little more bold than that.

Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Congrats on the new bike. I think the brakes that came with the CCs in 2006 weren't so great. I use Tektro CR720s on my CC and LHT and I'm pretty happy with them. They're inexpensive. And like another poster suggested, consider some fatter tires. Earlier today I was thinking about how there are so many options for nice wide tires. For years it seemed like if you wanted a fatter road tire you had to go with a touring tire. But now there's an abundance of supple tires in the 35 to 40mm range. You might want to also consider some fenders if you're not riding off road too much. Enjoy!
    Thanks for the input, I'll look into the Tektros!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^ Upgrade Order

BUTT - Saddle

HANDS - Bar Tape, Handlebar (there are different shapes) Stem (if you need to change your stretch from seat to handlebars)

FEET - Pedals (clipless, cages, bmx platforms)

TIRES - The above interface you with the bike, but this is the bikes interface with the ground. Get something designed for the terrain you will be riding most often!

After you get that stuff good to go, then you can worry about 'performance upgrades' like derailleurs or shifters or wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm coming from a beach cruiser so I have no idea what "move the bar ends up to the hood means, is it just that the levers on the stock cantis are really longs shorter ones would be better?
    If you follow the link, you can see the Gevenalle levers, they are regular brake levers with a mount on the front that will accept standard bar-end or downtube shift levers. That way you can shift without taking your hands off the brakes, like a homebrew version of brifters. They were 'invented' specifically for cyclocross, and the CrossCheck is a cyclocross bike, so it's a good match thematically as well.

Any recommendations on the tires? And does that mean I need a whole new wheel assembly too? Sorry I know a ton about surfboards and zero about bikes.
    No worries. As long as you get a 700 aka 29er tire you don't need anything else different about your wheels, you can even use the same inner tubes. I've got Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in 2" wide, that's a little over spec and about the widest you can go. But there are lots of options in 42mm plus or minus that would work great. I would look into Schwalbe Hurricanes -- nice and smooth-rolling in the center for road, but some tread on the sides for light trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
    If you follow the link, you can see the Gevenalle levers, they are regular brake levers with a mount on the front that will accept standard bar-end or downtube shift levers. That way you can shift without taking your hands off the brakes, like a homebrew version of brifters. They were 'invented' specifically for cyclocross, and the CrossCheck is a cyclocross bike, so it's a good match thematically as well.

No worries. As long as you get a 700 aka 29er tire you don't need anything else different about your wheels, you can even use the same inner tubes. I've got Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in 2" wide, that's a little over spec and about the widest you can go. But there are lots of options in 42mm plus or minus that would work great. I would look into Schwalbe Hurricanes -- nice and smooth-rolling in the center for road, but some tread on the sides for light trails
    Awesome thanks, I'll look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Awesome thanks, I'll look into that.
    I have them on my CC, here's my review

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Congrats on the bike. The Cross Check is an excellent choice. I rescued a Cross Check myself a few years back. Here's how I would approach it:

Fix deferred maintenance. Unfortunately, that's often a problem with used bikes. Make sure that the brakes and shifters are well adjusted and working smoothly and crisply. Spin the wheels. If the hubs are not turning smoothly or make any grinding noises, you'll need to overhaul them. Same with headset and bottom bracket.

Replace worn out parts. Tires have been mentioned. If they are worn out, replace them. Same with brake pads. Also check the chainrings and cassette for worn down or bent teeth. Check the chain too, though if you replace the chainrings, you'll want to replace chain too anyway. BTW, if you do have to replace drivetrain components, that's the perfect time to dial in the gearing to your preference. Are you in a hilly area? Maybe you'll want a taller first gear.

Comfort. Replace handlebars, saddle, and pedals, if desired, to suit your preferences.

Dial in your fit. You might need a shorter or longer stem or seat post with setback to get your fit right, especially if you changed the handlebar or saddle.

Accessorize. I like adding a bell to my bikes. I also always have a saddlebag with spare tube, tools, and space for keys, phone, etc. Fenders are nice to have in wet weather. Obviously this is totally personal and you'll want to set up the bike for how you intend to ride.

Good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    Hay

Cross Check pics please-img_2433.jpg

slower than you
    This is my old bean-green 631 Cross-Check circa 2001

Cross Check pics please-crosscheck.jpg

And these are some words I've written about it on my blog: RockyChrysler.com: Just about a bike: Surly Cross-Check
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Cross Check pics please-20160820_124356.jpg
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160820_124356.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	1089200
    That's a really nice looking CC. What tires your running? The fenders look like VO Zeppelin, correct? I had the VO TA knock off cranks years ago and while I loved the gearing, 46/30, I found them a bit finicky and aligning the arms with the FD was difficulty. They've since modified the crank to work with modern FDs. Are they working well for you?
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That's a really nice looking CC. What tires your running? The fenders look like VO Zeppelin, correct? I had the VO TA knock off cranks years ago and while I loved the gearing, 46/30, I found them a bit finicky and aligning the arms with the FD was difficulty. They've since modified the crank to work with modern FDs. Are they working well for you?
    Thank you.

Tires are Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in 700x40. I don't have a lot of experience with other tires to compare them with, but so far I really enjoy the ride they give.

Yes, those are Zeppelins. First fenders I've ever installed. While adjusting them was a finicky process, I'm really happy with how they came out. They're almost perfectly concentric to the wheels and don't rattle at all.

And yes, the cranks are the VO TA knock off 46/30s. Shifting has been consistently crisp and clean in both directions. I spend a lot of time with the rear in the middle cog and simply do all my shifting in front between the 46 and the 30. It's easy and the two gear ratios match my local hilly routes perfectly. I got the crank new in 2013 and I'm not sure when VO might have modified the design.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post

Name:	20160820_124356.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	1089200
    Awesome Check! Wishing you many happy miles.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My latest configuration

Cross Check pics please-14352189_10107034812022133_8780790778850626814_o-1-.jpgCross Check pics please-14352479_10107034804616973_5480925376128125981_o-1-.jpgCross Check pics please-14332980_10107034804621963_1349333834438714854_n.jpg
    Cross Check pics please-surly_cc_front_range.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    My latest configuration

Name:	14352189_10107034812022133_8780790778850626814_o (1).jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	1093715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14352479_10107034804616973_5480925376128125981_o (1).jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	1093716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14332980_10107034804621963_1349333834438714854_n.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	1093717

Name:	surly_cc_front_range.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	1093718
    Cool pics, and nice bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My second CC, this one fits better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

For Light Touring

just sharing a new build. Already have a Straggler but my wife loved the color (Glitter Dream) and owned it. So i ended up building a Cross-Check. And just like the Straggler and my KM, I am loving this steed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-xcheck.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I built a single speed Cross Check with a bunch of parts bin stuff a few weeks ago to be used as a winter commuter. I'm running a set of mismatched studded tires that I picked up for cheap. Schwalbe Marathon Winter 700x40 in the back, 45NRTH Gravdal 700x38 in the front.

I originally built it with flat bars and threw on a cheap aluminum rear rack to use with my Ortlieb Back Rollers.

DSC_0001

Started out with a 38/18 considering the studded tires and the fact that I need to be able to push through snow/slush. I'm definitely spinning a lot and I'm thinking about swapping out for a smaller cog, but I also want to ride single track in the spring, so I might just stick with it.

DSC_0003

After a few weeks of commuting, I decided that I just don't like flat bars on road bikes, so I swapped in a set of Salsa Bell Laps I had laying around. I had to buy the Tektro V-brake levers, though. I also did not like the flexy aluminum rack/pannier combo, so I put on my Nitto M12 and Wald basket. I really like commuting with a basket on the front.

DSC_0007

DSC_0009

mtbr member

New CC color?

Looks like it's the same spec but a new color--Mule Mug? Hmmm. I happened to notice this perusing the Universal site. Anyone out there know anything?

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=86775

I haven't seen any posted here but I recently saw a Flat Bar CC in a local shop and the gray color is really nice.

mtbr member
    Mule Mug pics were posted this morning. Looks nice!

Cross-Check | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    Surly Ice Cream Truck
    Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Cross Check pics please-img_0172.jpg

Braving the mean streets of Park City on my Crosscheck

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy View Post
    Braving the mean streets of Park City on my Crosscheck
    Yeah, those smug rich people can be deadly, Say hi to Katherine Heigl for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

1x10 CC

Cross Check pics please-01_small.jpgCross Check pics please-02_small.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-img_20170219_073725.jpg  

Last edited by azer89; 02-19-2017 at 08:38 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Cross Check pics please-img_3864-s90.jpg

Cross Check pics please-img_3866-s90.jpg
    My Cross Check with new saddle. Gilles Berthoud Galibier ti. Fine ride in early spring in the eastern part of the Netherlands.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Fred that a great setup, love the colour. What bar tap is that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi aver, love Cross Checks with fenders, always look just right. What cassette are you running on the back?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Year Ten rebirth completed...

Hi everyone, added the last piece to my Cross Check rebuild. Always planned to keep the CC for as long as the frame holds together.

Had a respray a few months ago and just picked up my new wheel set that I had my LBS build for me.

Red Hope Hubs, H Plus Son rims and DT spokes. LBS suggested black spokes, I was not sure however it was a good choice as they really go well with the matte black rim.

Cross Check pics please-dsc03168.jpg

Cross Check pics please-dsc03165.jpg

Cross Check pics please-dsc03155.jpg

The CC is good to go another ten years...

Cross Check pics please-dsc03162.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi Fred that a great setup, love the colour. What bar tap is that?
    Hi Surly in Oz,

Thank you, the bar tape is however Brooks. The microfibre type. It is a tough tape, a bit hard to apply, but a good feeling. I like it.

mtbr member

New build day.

Starting my CC build this evening. Mix of old and new parts. Almost done, just need to add the brake levers, cable the brakes, and add the chain. I dig it already!
    Cross Check pics please-img_8257.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The current incarnation, a couple of weeks ago during a particularly nice day:

Cross Check pics please-img_20170105_142844257.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post

Name:	IMG_20170105_142844257.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	1127269
    That's a nice looking CC. Is that an old Carrdice front bag? Grand Bois tires?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Awesome Cross Checks everyone! So many versatile frames on the market now, but the CC still one of the best! Timeless design for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Here's my previously ss Cross Check, now 1x11, with Origin8 Pro-Torq Space Off-Road bars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-img_1023.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    New flat bar Cross check this bike is all as bought except for the rack I changed the rack that comes with it for a topeak mdx because most of my bikes are set up with topeak . I just came back from a 26 mile ride I love this bike it is my 3rd surly
    Flat Bar Cross-Check | Bikes | Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
    New flat bar Cross check this bike is all as bought except for the rack I changed the rack that comes with it for a topeak mdx because most of my bikes are set up with topeak . I just came back from a 26 mile ride I love this bike it is my 3rd surly
    Flat Bar Cross-Check | Bikes | Surly Bikes

As much as I love my Cuba Libre, I REALLY dig that blue-grey color!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks I am liking it a bunch

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Name:	IMG_20170105_142844257.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	1127269
    Looks awesome. What tires are those?

Can't wait for late this week when I'll be joining the CC family. First time ever buying a bike in a shop thanks to a buddy of mine who works there and made the money go a bit further.

Coming soon: Travelers Check. Jones Loop bars. MTB 2x drivetrain. And 38mm skinwalls.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That's a nice looking CC. Is that an old Carrdice front bag? Grand Bois tires?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeb View Post
    Looks awesome. What tires are those?
    It's actually an old Karrimor bag...that wound up needing some TLC after a couple of weeks of use, but that's another story. It was originally made to be mounted on a decaleur, but a little judicious sewing made it work great on a 'diving board' mount.

The tires are Compass Snoqualmie Pass (tubeless) on 19mm rims. They come out to roughly 42-43mm, so there is plenty of room for mud clearance, even with the fenders. I am, in general, a big fan of the quality of Panaracer tires, and these are essentially a gigantic, tubeless version of the Pasela. They handle the rough stuff quite well, and aren't pigs in the weight department, for a tire this size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The tires are Compass Snoqualmie Pass (tubeless) on 19mm rims. They come out to roughly 42-43mm, so there is plenty of room for mud clearance, even with the fenders. I am, in general, a big fan of the quality of Panaracer tires, and these are essentially a gigantic, tubeless version of the Pasela. They handle the rough stuff quite well, and aren't pigs in the weight department, for a tire this size.
    Great to hear that there's that much clearance -- sounds like the Surly website has conservative estimates then. I'll be running 38 Panaracer Protites (e.g. Pasela PTs). Bit heavier but for touring/commuting probably a worthwhile trade off. I've liked the ride quality of the Paselas (usually smaller) I've run in the past. Hopefully the 38s give me a bit more versatility on gravel / dirt roads.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    a new cross check is born...

sort of a spare parts build...aside from the brakes...

the deets....

64cm frame
    salsa woodchipper bars
    SRAM rival brifter/left brake lever
    SRAM rival derailleur
    SRAM pg 1130 (?) cassette 11-42
    truvative crank
    wolftooth 36 tooth oval chainring/wolftooth chainring bolts
    Hope bottom bracket
    Avid shorty ultimate cantis
    cane creek 40 headset
    Alex adventurer rims laced to xt hubs
    Kenda small block8 1.9 inch tires

Cross Check pics please-dsc04909.jpgCross Check pics please-dsc04910.jpgCross Check pics please-dsc04914.jpgCross Check pics please-dsc04912.jpgCross Check pics please-dsc04913.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Nice! You own both Straggler and CC?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by azer89 View Post
    Nice! You own both Straggler and CC?
    yes indeed...straggle set up as a flat bar ss and the cc as a 1x11...

my initial impression is the cc is a bit springier a ride so a bit more compliant on the washboard,and the top tube seems shorter to me but im not a numbers person....so similar but different...

after ironing out a few wrinkles and once again discovering a spare parts build has turned into "just a few hundred" in new parts...had to swap some parts around..took the crankset off my krampus to get it running....i'll be at the bike shop in the morning ordering a new crank i fear....but apart from some minor adjustments it seems like a solid build...

took her out for a spin on the local singletrack...the parts that qualify as being fun on a cross type bike at least...as noted the frame seemed to mute the harshness of the rocky bits nicely,perhaps at the expense of chainstay flex which had the small block 8 buzzing a bit,and when i really crank away at the pedals i can see the bb deflecting from side to side,in that respect the straggler is far stiffer and rockets away under hard pedaling where the cc seems a bit slower to get up to speed...but im gonna guess over the long haul the cc will be far more comfortable to ride...

so,it seems ive chosen the right gearing for each bike,once i get the crank and bb squared away i think the stragglecheck frame bag will basically live on the cc,and the straggler can just be a lean,mean,ss machine...

Cross Check pics please-img_20170326_111042669.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170326_111743914.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170326_112718010.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170326_112733771.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    that is about what I expected to hear. I'm still wanting a CC!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    that is about what I expected to hear. I'm still wanting a CC!
    Do it. I've had mine and it's such a great versatile bike and not the least bit out of date. I've been going back and forth between upright, flats and drops along with singlespeed vs geared. Easy to put one together with basic parts.

It's killing me looking at Hamsterspam's perched beside a trail, in the sun and without fenders. I'm so looking forward to rolling around on mine with Knards this summer on mixed terrain rides. Right now it's running fenders because... Portland, where every bike is a rain bike 6 months out of the year...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    lol,i do have clip on fenders for the 2-3 days a year when i want them!

if it helps it was windy out today,i meant to get out for 40 miles or so and cut it short...

mtbr member
    Very nice build Hamster! I always love your color schemes. I'd considered buying a complete Steamroller or CC as a road compliment to my ICT and Ogre, but with a new-to-me Krampus coming this week, that will have to wait. That is, unless, I find that the Krampus pretty much replaces the Ogre to the point of selling it.
    Surly Ice Cream Truck
    Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    im glad theres never any thought of getting rid of bikes to make space here...i am thinking about taking the wheels from my krampus apart to get the red hope pro4's for the cc...since i have overlap on the 29+ size i figure the krampus can stay a ss and the 29+ ict as the geared version in that wheel size...thats the problem with surlys...they can be set up so many ways that are great fun and/or super useful...
    at any rate...all the constant part switching and trying different things out has certainly taught me a bunch about bikes...this one i think i got "right" straight away...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    ...thats the problem with surlys...they can be set up so many ways that are great fun and/or super useful...
    Agreed. And no Surly illustrates this point better than the CC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yep,im interested to see how it does with the 8pack rack and wald basket combo and a rear rack with a set of panniers...i know the straggle-check bag for a 64cm frame is crazy big,and should be more than enough space for day adventures and summer weight overnighters with a seat bag...

mtbr member
    One thing about the CC, it's easy to get heel strike with panniers in the rear. While the Surly front rack is super over built it's nice that you can run panniers in the lower position on pavement and higher up when you go off road. I could get by for a couple of days easily with just two small Ortlieb panniers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Don't tell H-spam how good the CC is! What we should do is tell him it is inferior to the Straggler in everyday and slowly convince him to sell me that 64cm CC. Sweet bike.

Given the funds today I still would probably order an SS KM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    so would i! theres still plenty of space in the shop for bikes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    One thing about the CC, it's easy to get heel strike with panniers in the rear. While the Surly front rack is super over built it's nice that you can run panniers in the lower position on pavement and higher up when you go off road. I could get by for a couple of days easily with just two small Ortlieb panniers.
    I own a CC with a tubus vega, never have a heel strike, I use clipless and the foot position is at the farthest back.

maybe some racks give that issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azer89 View Post
    I own a CC with a tubus vega, never have a heel strike, I use clipless and the foot position is at the farthest back.

maybe some racks give that issue.
    With the Surly rear rack on a 60cm frame and my size 11 feet it was a bit of an issue. Easily fixed, just had to be mindful of placement of the rear pannier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    had some time to get everything a bit more dialed in and resolved the crank issues,and got the levers in position and all that sort of stuff...
    and blingle-klaus dropped off a hope bashguard,a knog oi bell,and some red anno valve stem caps..
    debating on tearing down the rabbit hole rims from the krampus to get the set of red hope pro4 hubs on this bike...admittedly because i miss the obnoxious loud hub noise...and it would look hella sick and give me a good excuse to get a set of I9 hubs for the krampus to build a lighter wheelset for it...

#krispycheck
    #fattiesfitfine!
    Cross Check pics please-krispycross.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    first long-ish ride today...1/2 pavement,1/2 river levee...all fun...really comfy bike...

Cross Check pics please-img_20170403_103325483_hdr.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170403_104801964.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170403_112410453_hdr.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170403_114716318.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170403_124534408.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Cross Check pics please-img_1058.jpgHere's one more of my newly-geared CC, last week in Zion Nat'l Park. Having only ridden singlespeeds for the last several years, I am now TOTALLY loving the 1x11 setup.

mtbr member
    @hampsterspam Your CC looks great. I like that you're rolling with flat pedals. My CC is the last bike in my quiver sporting SPDs. I'm not anti but I'm just not into riding in bibs and stuff currently and really not too thrilled about SPDs. I love rolling in my Sambas as they feel so much better when I step off the bike. Still... I can't help but think "I need to have one bike with SPDs, right?" Cycling peer pressure can be rough...

@jbass So I'm all fired up and happy with my drop bar CC and then you post this picture and now I'm thinking of going back to flat bars. To go with the flat pedals... I'm curious, what bars and brakes are you running?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    @hampsterspam Your CC looks great. I like that you're rolling with flat pedals. My CC is the last bike in my quiver sporting SPDs. I'm not anti but I'm just not into riding in bibs and stuff currently and really not too thrilled about SPDs. I love rolling in my Sambas as they feel so much better when I step off the bike. Still... I can't help but think "I need to have one bike with SPDs, right?" Cycling peer pressure can be rough...

@jbass So I'm all fired up and happy with my drop bar CC and then you post this picture and now I'm thinking of going back to flat bars. To go with the flat pedals... I'm curious, what bars and brakes are you running?
    I wish I could try some kinda off road drops on my CC, but it just wouldn't fit me right, so I'm sticking with flats. Those are Origin8 Pro Torq Space OffRoad bars: Product Description | Origin8
    I wanted an "alt" bar but not as much of an extreme angle in the backsweep(as say a Jones, or an FSA Metropolis which I also tried) while still bringing my hands back a bit and these nailed it for me. Plus they're inexpensive Brakes are the SD-5s that came on the bike stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

i dont think i will ever go back to clipping in at this point,once i figured out how to bunny hop of flats it was pretty much the death knell for clipping in..

thanks,i think i pretty much nailed this build first go-around,the only thing i might do is swap some red hope pro4's onto the wheels..

Quote Originally Posted by jbass View Post
    I wish I could try some kinda off road drops on my CC, but it just wouldn't fit me right, so I'm sticking with flats. Those are Origin8 Pro Torq Space OffRoad bars: Product Description | Origin8
    I wanted an "alt" bar but not as much of an extreme angle in the backsweep(as say a Jones, or an FSA Metropolis which I also tried) while still bringing my hands back a bit and these nailed it for me. Plus they're inexpensive Brakes are the SD-5s that came on the bike stock.
    the salsa woodchippers are working good for me,and im not a huge fan of drop bars...
    the 1x11 is working great for me too,nice to have the range for singletrack...

mtbr member
    Hampsterspam, you running Race Face Chesters? You still like them? I've been running VPs for a few years now on my LHT and BD. They're great--thin and wide.

The fit on my CC is great but I think later this year I'll replace the fork with one with rack braze-ons and leave room for another 1cm spacer, that way I could get the bars up higer which is nice for off-road. Might also switch to Gevenalle shifters and Paul Mini Motos. While I like my Paul cantis, I really wish I had just gone for it and gotten the motos. At the time I had planned on using my CC as a winter road bike but that never really materialized. After years of randonneuring in the PNW I realize that I'm done with riding in the rain. Kinda through with road riding too unless it's on dirt or in the forest.

Oh, and there'll definitely be some WTB tires in my future. Trying to decide between Nanos and Riddlers (45s). I might even have to go pick those up today...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the cc has spank spike pedals but im running chesters on the ICT and KM and in general i like the chesters a bit better but the spanks really grab the shoes well..

im running kenda small block8's 1.9s front and rear with no fit issues with the rear wheel all the way back in the drops...the nanos and riddler are both fine tires,if the 8's hadnt fit i would have gone with riddlers and may end up with riddlers on the straggler although the nanos are doing fine so not in any rush to switch...
    thats funny,i started road riding again for a break from trail riding although most of my "road" rides include some dirt/gravel..
    i really like the SRAM stuff and the whole brifter dealy,the drivetrain is pretty sweet for the purposes i intended for this build although i may grab a wolf tooth 28 tooth oval for a kick down option for hillier rides...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    In progress....the new travel touring bike.

<4 weeks to get it dialed before heading to France for a tour of the Loire with a sommelier friend of mine.

MTB drivetrain and cockpit on a cross frame cause why the **** not. 2x10, 660mm H-Bars, Avid SD7 v's and levers, DTSwiss 350s laced to Velocity Dyads, Pasela 38s.

Last edited by jmeb; 04-09-2017 at 08:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Here you go Hamsterspam...

thanks,i think i pretty much nailed this build first go-around,the only thing i might do is swap some red hope pro4's onto the wheels..

Hi mate recently had a new set of wheels built for my CC with hope hubs, very nice.

Cross Check pics please-dsc03160.jpg

Cross Check pics please-dsc03154.jpg

Cross Check pics please-dsc03165.jpg

Just received the bike back after a brake set change. The Avid did not play well with the rims at all, squeals could be heard for miles around.

Changed to some Shimano XT V-brakes and not only are they silent the stopping power puts most Disc brakes to shame.

Will post some photos later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    nice check!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

C.C new brakes...

Thanks mate, the CC came up well after its mid life rebuild.

Cross Check pics please-img_1452.jpg

As I mentioned I had a new set of wheels built to complete the CC,s make over.

Unfortunately the new rims did not play well with the Avid Shorty Ultimates that I have run for a few years.

I was happy with the stopping power of the Avid's until yesterday when I had my first ride with the Shimano XT V brakes. These things are insane, so much stopping power that will put many disc setups to shame.

Cross Check pics please-dsc03644-2.jpg

Cross Check pics please-dsc03648.jpg

Not the most beautiful looking parts but the function is killer. Turns out to be one of the better changes I made to the bike.

mtbr member
    Is that a GoPro mount on the axle?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Is that a GoPro mount on the axle?
    Hi mate, it could be but I mount my light down there. No space on the bar with the bag mounted.

Its a M-BOT-A lamp peg from a company called Mr Control.

They must have been taking it easy the day they came up with M-BOT-A

Works a treat though, having the light down low really picks up changes to the road surface. And makes the most of the light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Inaugural commute. 25 days to its first credit-card tour.

Cross Check pics please-pgaufkd.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    problem solvers makes the same thing here in the states...also the paul components gino light mount..

tossed a rack on the rear of mine to give it a try with some panniers although with the ridiculous amount of storage offered by the stragglecheck bag on a 64cm frame has proven to be gloriously excessive...its crazy looking at the straggler and cross check next to one of the mountain bikes...theres so much space in the main triangle,even the framebag for an xxl ICT seems like an accessory pocket in comparison to the stragglecheck bag...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    on a recent outing for puppy pads and a 40oz

Cross Check pics please-cyclesmaller.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-cross.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Cross Check pics please-img_20170413_113513796_hdr.jpgCross Check pics please-img_20170413_114258810.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Fitted a front rack:

Wrapped some bars:

And hung the bags:

t-3 weeks til it flys to France for a week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi mate, not sure if its just my end but I don't see the photos.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Hamster and Nicholas, I see you are both running flats, how do you find them?

I ask as I have been playing around with my cleat position, and the last few rides on the Cross Check has caused me some knee pain.

I took my Mountain bike out for a spin yesterday to try out flats over the same distance and had no pain. Managed to spin behind some roadies without my feet flying off the pedals, so I thinking of switching to flats on the CC as well.

Any thought on the change and how do you find your setup?

mtbr member

CC with flats.

Hi Hamster and Nicholas, I see you are both running flats, how do you find them?

I ask as I have been playing around with my cleat position, and the last few rides on the Cross Check has caused me some knee pain.
    I've been riding flats on my LHT for years and love them. Hamsterspam's post got me thinking that I should throw them on my CC in it's current form (1x9, drops). Yesterday I did and I love them. They're easy to deal with and I actually prefer my Adidas Sambas to my Sidis. It's funny though, there's a fair amount of cycling programming in me that tells me I need to have one bike with SPDs on it... I think I'm going to ignore that voice for a while.

These are the pedals I use:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=38284

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i have flats on all six bikes,,but i too used to think at least the road bike i should be clipped in...right up until i started riding drop bar bikes off road...but i really suck at unclipping quickly and got tired of falling over because i couldnt get out of the pedal...at this point i see absolutely no reason to go back,once i got my pedaling technique down i didnt notice any loss of efficiency over spd's,and once i learned how to bunny hop on flats it was pretty much over for clipping in...

plus,i dont have a car,its way easier to just hop on a bike without needing special shoes and then clomping around stores in cleats...

mtbr member
    Yup, all good points. I really need to learn how to bunnyhop with flats.

As much as I like my CC with drops and think I should have one sort of go fast(ish) bike in the quiver, I really want to put a flat bar back on my CC. Back and forth I go. Really the solution is to have 3 CC--a singlespeed, a flat bar geared and a drop bar geared. Am I right?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yup, all good points. I really need to learn how to bunnyhop with flats.

As much as I like my CC with drops and think I should have one sort of go fast(ish) bike in the quiver, I really want to put a flat bar back on my CC. Back and forth I go. Really the solution is to have 3 CC--a singlespeed, a flat bar geared and a drop bar geared. Am I right?
    clearly its the only sane thing to do!

i dunno,for me at least i think i pretty well nailed this build for what i intended so unlike my other surly's i can see this form sticking...and owning both a straggler and cross check in my opinion the straggler makes a better go fast bike...that said,the cross check just devours the road be it paved or dirt so it also goes fast quite well,its a more compliant ride overall so easier to keep speed in the choppy bits,and that describes most of the pavement around here too...

but me,i would pick multiple karate monkey frames if i could find another frame the same vintage as mine...

that would be first at any rate! i would own another straggler,ogre,and krampus if i could!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i have flats on all six bikes,,but i too used to think at least the road bike i should be clipped in...right up until i started riding drop bar bikes off road...but i really suck at unclipping quickly and got tired of falling over because i couldnt get out of the pedal...at this point i see absolutely no reason to go back,once i got my pedaling technique down i didnt notice any loss of efficiency over spd's,and once i learned how to bunny hop on flats it was pretty much over for clipping in...

plus,i dont have a car,its way easier to just hop on a bike without needing special shoes and then clomping around stores in cleats...
    Thanks mate, I read this on my way out the door to work this morning. Spent the day thinking about some new flats, I really like the Crank Bros Stamps in large that I have on my fat bike. Then I remembered that they come in a nifty red colour that might play nice with my Hope Hubs and CK headset on the CC.

It was then that I realised that your picking of parts and colours for your bikes had somehow infected my thinking.

Truly the internet can be a place for dangerous ideas

If I do not respond to these pages for awhile its because I am off looking for some Red anodised nipples

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i was conceived while my parents were watching mtv's "pimp my ride"...its a genetic condition!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Day out in the sun...

Hi everyone, had a great ride in perfect weather today. Trying out the CC's new frame bag, its a Specilaized Burra Burra Framepack 8 and its a nice fit on my CC.

Cross Check pics please-dsc08561.jpg

The ride to the beach was along on of the local rail trails.

Cross Check pics please-dsc08559.jpg

A great way to avoid the crazies on the roads.

Cross Check pics please-dsc08560.jpg

Bag was great, helped an old fellow fix his bike and the Sun was warm and the breeze cool. A perfect day out...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Any thought on the change and how do you find your setup?
    I've always ran flats on my cross/touring rig bc I feel more comfortable riding trails and mixed terrain with the flats. I've been riding Race Face Chesters and they are extremely grippy so they feel really secure.

Cross Check pics please-chester-pedal-gallery-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Nicolas, I brought a pair of Crank bros Stamps over the weekend, just need to change them onto CC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got out for a nice ride on the crosscheck today...
    im a few hundred miles in with the cc,really liking this bike,havent felt any strong urge to swap anything around so far,i am going to go ahead and take the hope pro4's off the old krampus wheels and get another set of alex adventurer rims and get a set of wtb riddlers as the kendas do rub a tiny bit...
    the 1x11 with the 36 tooth oval up front seems just right...the 36x42 gear while not often needed sure makes the climbs super easy,and plenty of top end speed...this bike eats up the dirt roads like crazy,seems to be a smoother ride than the straggler in that regard...

and i continue to be impressed by the sheer volume of the stragglecheck frame bag for a 64cm frame...3lbs of oranges,1 lb of grapes,1lb of coffee,some canned milk,a thing of porkchops,some dried fruit,a box of cookies and a couple other things along with the tool kit,spare stans and lube,a pump and ulock all crammed in!

Cross Check pics please-img_20170426_111322684_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Hamster that bag looks like it could carry the kitchen sink. Had it out on a windy day yet? Might move you around a bit.

What size riddlers are you looking at? I have my old wheelset sitting in the corner and I am thinking of trying some fat treaded tyres. Ran some Maxxis slick 42 awhile ago and liked the soft ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    it was fairly windy yesterday and since i basically rode a big box around town i was in a cross wind about 50% of the time and yes,it is basically a big sail but not really a problem on the cc as it seems to be a fairly stable bike...

i would get the 700x45c riddlers,i had one on the straggler and liked it a lot...i might have to reconsider rim choice since the alex rims will set up ghetto tubeless but the last tires i had on them tubeless when they deflated they just fell right off the rim which i found a bit scary...i like the kendas for the riding i do on this bike but with heavy duty inner tubes and liners in the tires the wheels are pretty heavy...and i hate riding with tubes in the desert,just too many spiny things waiting to poke through...at least with tubeless its generally as simple as putting a plug in...

so yeah,the riddlers...good tire,supple enough to smooth the ride out,great sand traction and nice and fast rolling,great on singletrack...only bad thing is i wore a big flat spot locking the rear end up to avoid a dumbass in a car but i guess you cant blame the tire for that...

mtbr member
    WTB used to have a tubeless rim brake rim but it appears to be discontinued. I have Mavic A319s on my CC and have wondered how easily they'll set-up tubeless.

I continue to give serious thought to going back to a flat bar on my CC. Then again, I just sold a bike and so have given some less serious thought to just getting a second CC frame... thankfully I've been side-tracked by the act of running, something I've never done before. I find myself quite intrigued by trail running since I have way easier access to running trails than bike trails and it's so much more efficient than running. Hopefully this running nonsense is a delusional in nature as a result of so many god damned days of rain here in Portland...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i just dont get along well with the ground anymore,the thought of running for any extended period of time makes my knees hurt...and feet...and lower back...

pretty funny how easy it is to hike a section of trail over trying to ride a bike up the same stretch sometimes...

i think about flat bars for the straggler,but then i remember that the places i want flat bars on to ride in i also want bigger tires so im happy to have road stuff on what are mainly road bikes....that said,its fun to run flat bars since its easier to bunny hop for me...

mtbr member
    i just dont get along well with the ground anymore,the thought of running for any extended period of time makes my knees hurt...and feet...and lower back...

pretty funny how easy it is to hike a section of trail over trying to ride a bike up the same stretch sometimes...

i think about flat bars for the straggler,but then i remember that the places i want flat bars on to ride in i also want bigger tires so im happy to have road stuff on what are mainly road bikes....that said,its fun to run flat bars since its easier to bunny hop for me...
    We'll see what happens with the running. So far it's good. Just being able to run for 45 minutes seems like a good thing. For now I'm entertaining ideas of working towards some kind of 25k trail event. One thing I learned from years of randonneuring is that, for better or worse, I have a certain capacity for suffering...

As for flat bars on the CC, sometimes being underbiked is fun. I think the flats even have their place for gravel riding.

Earlier this year I had been close to pulling the trigger on a new mtn bike frame, a Wed or Pugs but then realized that it just wouldn't see enough action to justify it given my schedule, responsibilities and fact that on many of the days when I can go mountain biking, I choose to just go ramble around the back roads, paved and dirt, of the Mt Hood NF. My LHT and CC are perfect for that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yup,cc's are good rambling bikes,and nothing like a little drop bar singletrack to spice the same old trails up,it adds a whole new dimension to things..its really just too bad they allow cars on the roads,it would sure be more relaxing to not worry about the idiots...so very nice to have a bike that doesnt mind the dirtier side of things yet still rides like a road bike...

Members who have read this thread: 190