Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 1462
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You can try to find old style Thomson Elites on sale. I bought mine for about 40$

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Cross Check pics please

Here's mine. New dark and dirty blue. Love it. Deore drivetrain with 105 shifters, Thomson seat post, and midge dirt drops. I'm still figuring out how low I want the bars considering you spend most time in the drops with the midge. I usually ride a 56cm but went with a 54. Think I should have stuck with 56 but regardless, I'm still very happy with the ride.

Check out the spacer height in the second pic :O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm

Cross Check pics please-monster-check.jpg
    Monster check

Team Inflexible

Re: Cross Check pics please

mtbr member
    My Surly No5 rolling last week.
    My big bro gave me his 4 year old fixie bike- a UK made Pearson Touche, which was too small at a 52cm frame for myself. A 56cm CC frameset turned up on eBay, i won the auction, and have since sold the Pearson frame to re-coup some of the outlay, and vola a fixie Cross-Check

24th May 063 by coastkid71, on Flickr

24th May 066 by coastkid71, on Flickr

24th May 065 by coastkid71, on Flickr

24th May 072 by coastkid71, on Flickr

24th May 076 by coastkid71, on Flickr

27th May; midweek Cycle- 35 miler 002 by coastkid71, on Flickr

27th May; midweek Cycle- 35 miler 003 by coastkid71, on Flickr

27th May; midweek Cycle- 35 miler 015 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Blog post of the build here;
    coastrider: Checkmate!, Fixie build...time for more single speeding...
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice pics, coastkid.

From today's mixed terrain ride. Some pretty rough descents, but lots of fun. Rock n Roads performed flawlessly, once again. I had them at about 55psi, as I was afraid of pinch flats down the rocky parts. Rattled through and luckily no flats.

mtbr member

Traveller's Check.

Looks like the Traveller's Check is making a comeback. Can't grab the link but go to the bikes page and check it out. Also, the Cross Check will be orange this year. I don't get too excited about colors but an orange CC is pretty cool.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

A God Without A Name
    That is a sexy orange. Does anyone want to Email surly and ask if there is an RAL code for that?

I've done it so many times I think they might be sick of me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Oh, man, the Dark Dirty Blue was just trumped by Dream Tangerine. Love that color.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Oh, man, the Dark Dirty Blue was just trumped by Dream Tangerine. Love that color.
    Check the color on the SS CC--Cuba Libre.

Cross-Check SS | Bikes | Surly Bikes

Lots of good colors this year.
    Last edited by dfltroll; 07-18-2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: forgot link
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Check the color on the SS CC--Cuba Libre.

Cross-Check SS | Bikes | Surly Bikes

Lots of good colors this year.
    I like this even more than the new orange! I really want one of these...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What, another black CC? Meh. The previous grey-blue Blark Due is only eclipsed by the older pale-grey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Looks like the Traveller's Check is making a comeback. Can't grab the link but go to the bikes page and check it out. Also, the Cross Check will be orange this year. I don't get too excited about colors but an orange CC is pretty cool.
    Time to sell my standard CC!
    The LBS I support - www.atownbikes.net

mtbr member
    I had some random thoughts about selling my CC--with my new Velo Orange Camargue taking care of my utility riding, and an old Trek 620 for fixed gear duties, the CC didn't really have a role. But after seeing Psychle's flat bar CC, I had to have one. Luckily, I had all the spare parts in my garage to build up something similar:

I find I'm really enjoying this build, light and simple and quick. It's my go-to bike for medium paced solo rides.

mtbr member

That is sick! I can see why it would be an inspiration...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I see Surly has a new Cross Check "Coming Soon" : Cross-Check | Bikes | Surly Bikes

Anyone have any thoughts on when "soon" might be????

Looks like the updated some of the components on the full build...mainly looks like it is a now a 10-speed as opposed to 9-speed cog. Would be silly to buy the current model with a new one right around the corner...right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ach-alx View Post
    Would be silly to buy the current model with a new one right around the corner...right?
    Not necessarily. If you want a more traditional CX build, you better grab this year's model before they run out. The new build is completely different with Knards, v-brakes, wide space gearing - a rim-brake Straggler. More of a monstercross/gravel grinder than CX. Pretty cool.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I had some random thoughts about selling my CC--with my new Velo Orange Camargue taking care of my utility riding, and an old Trek 620 for fixed gear duties, the CC didn't really have a role. But after seeing Psychle's flat bar CC, I had to have one. Luckily, I had all the spare parts in my garage to build up something similar:
    I like your taste in bikes. I have an '83 Trek 500 set up fixed, a Rawland Stag, and of course the CC. In about a month, there will be a new iteration of the CC. Despite the other bikes I have, the CC definitely ranks up there. Only reason I would sell this one is to get the new orange...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It's my go-to bike for medium paced solo rides.
    Really!? I thought the Camargue handled so much better? I knew you couldn't get rid of your CC so easily.

mtbr member
    I actually had a CL ad posted for it, but I somewhat subconsciously set the price a bit too high I am thinking about a low trail fork for the CC, though, if the rumored Soma Champs-Elysees fork ever comes out.

With three road bikes in the garage (and three mountain), I'm starting to get the itch to thin the herd though...

Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Really!? I thought the Camargue handled so much better? I knew you couldn't get rid of your CC so easily.

mtbr member

Klunkercross.

I've had my CC for 8yrs this Sept. It's been through so many changes. I've threatened to sell it but just can't bring myself to put it up for sale. It's a perfect commuter and a great all-road rambler. It's been set up as a SS commuter for the past couple of months with rack, fenders and flat pedals. I took all that stuff off earlier this year and set it up as a Klunkercross earlier this year. It was great. If I wasn't so lazy I'd probably set it up as shown in the second photo which is from 7yrs ago when it was set-up as a 1x9 with a flat bar and 44mm tires.

Is it possible that the CC is too versatile?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-image.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I actually had a CL ad posted for it, but I somewhat subconsciously set the price a bit too high I am thinking about a low trail fork for the CC, though, if the rumored Soma Champs-Elysees fork ever comes out.

With three road bikes in the garage (and three mountain), I'm starting to get the itch to thin the herd though...
    Sounds like a cool project. I read a blog post somewhere from a guy who had his fork reraked by a local framebuilder to decrease the trail. Can't remember if it was a CC or LHT. The guy seemed to like it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Freshened Up Cross Check

Cross Check pics please-img_2447.jpgCross Check pics please-img_2448-2-.jpg

New rubber - 38mm Compass Barlow Pass tires

and

New handlebar - Nitto "Mark's" Bar

Liking the setup. Those Compass tires are smooooooth. And fast, despite the huge size. Plus, I think they fill out the frame nicely. The Mark's bar has a good deal less reach than the Nitto Rando bars I had on before, which improved the fit just so. They look a little weird at the angle I have them, but are very comfy in the drops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Todays Ride

Took a nice little 24 mile ride on some of California's lush green valley dirt roads.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-photo-3.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-photo-2.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-photo-1.jpg  

The LBS I support - www.atownbikes.net

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Been wanting to post my Cross Check for a long time, and now I finally have it set up just right. I've browsed this thread more times than I care to admit. Thanks, everyone, for the inspiration!

60cm bought as complete. Upgrades include: Salsa Cowbell 46cm handlebars, Selle Anatomica Titanico X saddle, SKS Longboard fenders, and Revelate Tangle frame bag.

Cross Check pics please-dsc00363.jpgCross Check pics please-dsc00369.jpgCross Check pics please-dsc00366.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

my two...

Cross Check pics please-cc1sm.jpgCross Check pics please-cc2sm.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    mine is now century ride approved.
    Cross Check pics please-snc15616y.jpg

mtbr member

New wheels for the CC.

The sidewalls on the wheels on my CC were going and I finally replaced them with some new hoops--Mavic A319. The rear wheel is entirely new with a Surly 135mm fixed/free hub. I also added a Hurdy Gurdy. I didn't have a big problem with chain tension and keeping the wheel in straight but with time it would loosen up. Now it's not an issue. The Hurdy Gurdy plays nice with fenders and rear rack. It'll be nice to have the option to ride fixed.

Still using the Open Bar on the CC although it may be time to go back to drops, Cowbells, for a while. Seems like I change the cockpit around on this bike yearly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-hurdygurdy.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-cchub.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

India/Nepal build

rebuild of the old Cross check.

surlys 26"x3" knard up front.

Scwable 700c x 50c on the rear.

surly 1x1 fork.

More over at A FEW SKETCHY MOMENTS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-driveside2.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-dropout-hell.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-getlost.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-driveside.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-rainbowvomit.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-get-pedalin.jpg  

mtbr member
    Funky bike you have there.
    Which Marathon do you have on the back? Mondial?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It is a Scwable Marathon Dureme, sitting on a Velocity cliff hanger rim.
    Have used this rear set up on a couple of tours and seems to work well. However the clearance is pretty tight. So if the conditions where muddy it may not be very good.

Yeeewwwwww!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That thing looks awesome, bicyclerust. Love the Swift bags.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclerust View Post
    It is a Scwable Marathon Dureme, sitting on a Velocity cliff hanger rim.
    Thanks!

Anyone know if a 700x50c Mondial would fit?

mtbr member
    My 47mm marathons fit even with fenders. 50 should fit tightly.

Keep in mind that the 47mm tires actually measure closer to 44. Try to get an actual measurement of the 50s.

My experience was on average width rims. Nothing crazy wide or narrow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New to me Cross Check

Just picked this babe up on CL for $500. My brother in law picked it up for me so I don't actually have it in my possession yet but he says it looks new and rode great. Should have it in my house around the 15th! Can't wait.
    Cross Check pics please-xcheck.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    My 47mm marathons fit even with fenders. 50 should fit tightly.

Keep in mind that the 47mm tires actually measure closer to 44. Try to get an actual measurement of the 50s.

My experience was on average width rims. Nothing crazy wide or narrow.
    After some research, the 700x50 Marathons are all around 47mm. So they should fit on CCs and LHTs

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Tight.

Here is a couple of snaps for you of the 2.00 schwable Marathon Dureme tire, on a Velocity Cliff hanger rim. The rim is 28mm in width.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Check pics please-nomessure.jpg  

Cross Check pics please-messure.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well, I thought it would be a lot worse.
    I guess a LHT would have extra space, word is that they have marginally more clearance

mtbr member
    Does anyone else find it odd that the Straggler, out only a year or so, already has 50% more posts in its thread than the venerable Cross Check has in its own thread?

C'mon CC people, let's show it some love! Here's mine on a milk run:

mtbr member
    Does anyone else find it odd that the Straggler, out only a year or so, already has 50% more posts in its thread than the venerable Cross Check has in its own thread?

I am re-powder coating mine to renew some love...
    Having said that, I am still loving mine even though the urge to get a new straggler is very strong.
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My CC is my favorite bike; on it most every day as my commuter. Too busy riding to post too much.

Most of my commute is standard urban streets... but there are a couple of park sections that aren't too bad. Cross Check pics please-cross-check.jpg

Can't blame the straggler crowd... every one that was pining for a disc-brake-equipped CC for the last few years is over there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

I think we still have them beat on the picture count. A lot of the posts are people just blabbing.

Grinding some gravel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Venerable? That makes it sound old. How about understated elegance?

Cross Check pics please-img_0382.jpg

The CC has nothing to prove. No need to show off. It speaks for itself, confident in its abilities, secure in its adaptive nature, and prepared to survive in a tumultuous world.

The world is volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous. Yet, the CC knows that when it cannot overcome adversity by stolid ability, it can overcome by changing its very self into a different sort of bike.

Mere post count does not worry the worthy CC.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

A God Without A Name
    As a Straggler owner, I find a lot of the CC builds much more aesthetically pleasing. also Robins Egg blue and Hospital Foam are amazing colors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	337.5 KB 
ID:	922273

The CC has nothing to prove. No need to show off. It speaks for itself, confident in its abilities, secure in its adaptive nature, and prepared to survive in a tumultuous world.

The world is volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous. Yet, the CC knows that when it cannot overcome adversity by stolid ability, it can overcome by changing its very self into a different sort of bike.

Spinymouse, well said. And your bike looks great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post

Meh, anything that gets more people posting pictures, I'm all for it.

dying hurts.
    disc brakes rule.
    get with the now!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I actually wouldn't mind getting a straggler front fork and going with a mullet set up. But too much expense to justify ($100 fork, $100-200 wheel, $100 brakes...).

Anyway, back to Cross Checks:

Has anyone tried to fit Bontrager XR 29x1.9's? Not sure how Bontragers run, but would be a nice tire for some light trail work. Especially ones that have loose/sand.

Bontrager: XR0 Team Issue (Model #11872)

mtbr member
    Cross Check as drying rack:

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What can't this bike do??!!

mtbr member
    Well, to be honest, my undies were still damp the next morning, so it wasn't a particularly effective drying rack.

What can't this bike do??!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yikes. Yeah, I don't think overactive posterior sweat glands falls under the umbrella of Cross Check's capabilities.

mtbr member
    Dream Tangerine Cross Check frameset on order for this guy! Should have it built up within two weeks at the latest, will add pics when I can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Dream Tangerine Cross Check frameset on order for this guy! Should have it built up within two weeks at the latest, will add pics when I can.
    Post reported.

...out of jealousy. Just remember to leave that steerer tube long.

mtbr member
    Well, to be honest, my undies were still damp the next morning, so it wasn't a particularly effective drying rack.
    It's because you cut your steer tube too short that it wasn't able to reach the lamp shade
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

City Bike

let me introduce my...
    crosscheck

Cross Check pics please-dsc_0096.jpg

Cross Check pics please-dsc_0098.jpg

Cross Check pics please-dsc_0097.jpg
    still experimenting on the bar side...
    but the 1x10 is reallys well suited for city and as well some cross that i am doing (in dry weater)

Fenders are missing... brakes have no fine adjustment possibilities

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Man..it's good to be back! I have not spent much time on MTBR.com in over a decade and that was when I was heavily into mountain biking..

What brought me back is this great thread covering the Cross Check. I've been locked onto a Tri bike for the past few years and am itching to do some cyclocross as well as have a bike that I can ride w/o feeling like I have to baby it. Took a test spin on a CC the other day and was instantly sold..just not on the price (which is fair) as my wife would destroy me if I started making a case for a brand new bike after doing the same thing just last winter (tri bike).

Anyhow, actively looking for a used Cross Check right now and wanted to say thanks for all the great info shared in the 43-44 pages leading up to this. It's been incredibly helpful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

2014 - dream tangerine

Took delivery this past weekend. 2014 56cm Cross Check complete build in Dream Tangerine. I was pleased with the paint. It looks better than expected in person. In bright sunlight, it's sort of a Nuclear Orange Sherbet. More photos to come as I pile on accessories. So far the only component I've changed (not shown in photos) is the tires, and that's about all I plan to change, other than adding stuff.

Cross Check pics please-xcheck4.jpg

Cross Check pics please-xcheck3.jpg

Cross Check pics please-xcheck2.jpg

Cross Check pics please-xcheck1.jpg