Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,187

    Cross Check Geometry Help

    I'm looking at getting the wife a CC. How do you, who bought one, figure out your size? Usually, I use the TT length if it isn't a compact frame. The CC seems, from looking, like it has a really short head tube for the size. Does that result in the bars being too low? The reason I ask is because I saw a 54 CC and the TT and DT were almost touching.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fourthree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    50
    My cross check is a 54, I've got a 31" inseam (pants size) and I like my bars roughly level with the saddle. It takes a 17 degree stem and about 10-20mm of spacers to get there, so in my opinion it does have a slightly low head tube.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,313


    When I built up my GF's CC commuter I just measured the TT on a bike that fit her well and ordered up the CC frame based on that. Unless your wife has short legs the standover isn't an issue and I had no trouble getting the bars into the right position.

    cross check sharon surly « Search Results « The Lazy Rando Blog…

    This wasn't a complete though so I could mess around with parts until I she was happy.

    It's her daily commuter and she loves that bike...
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  4. #4
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,187
    I was looking more at getting bar height up rather than stand over height.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    41
    Although you go two sizes up,the headtube still remains short.
    For a bigger headtube get a look at the Handsome Devil:

    Handsome Devil | Handsome Cycles

    Or even the Pake C'mute.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,313
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I was looking more at getting bar height up rather than stand over height.
    In the photo above the bars are just above the saddle for a 5'6" girl with long legs. The stem is pointing down and I could have probably ditched 2 spacers and flipped the stem, but i wanted to err on the side of too much steerer tube than too little.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I'm looking at getting the wife a CC. How do you, who bought one, figure out your size? Usually, I use the TT length if it isn't a compact frame. The CC seems, from looking, like it has a really short head tube for the size. Does that result in the bars being too low? The reason I ask is because I saw a 54 CC and the TT and DT were almost touching.
    Got 54cm cc. Headtube really short, I just use 4cm of spacers. Used 7 degree up 100mm stem with flats, and about 25-30 degree 90mm stem now, with WTB Mountain Road Dropbar.
    Btw do not use it with Crosscheck, it made only for MTBs, drops just waaaay to low for proper offroad setup.

  8. #8
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by nameresu View Post
    Got 54cm cc. Headtube really short, I just use 4cm of spacers. Used 7 degree up 100mm stem with flats, and about 25-30 degree 90mm stem now, with WTB Mountain Road Dropbar.
    Btw do not use it with Crosscheck, it made only for MTBs, drops just waaaay to low for proper offroad setup.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-11-2010, 08:52 AM
  2. Single Speed Cross Check build (cross post)
    By yurtinus in forum Surly
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 11:09 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 03:37 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 02:30 PM
  5. Surly cross-check monster-cross review
    By ktronik in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •