mtbr member

Cross check gearing...how to go lower.

My stock Cross Check has 48/36 on front with 12-25 on back. The crank can take a 3rd ring. I've been riding a lot of really steep packed trails and a lower gear would be VERY helpful. My options to accomplish this (it would be nice if I found the cheapest option as well as most functional):

1) 3rd (granny gear) chain ring on front? Can the front Tiagra dérailleur and friction bar-end shifter handle a third without new parts by only making adjustments?

2) Smaller 2nd ring. Maybe a 34 or 32? Would that make enough difference and would I loose too much middle range?

3) Wider range cassette? How low can you go with the tiagra dérailleur on the rear. Can it take a mtb 9 speed cassette?

4) Leave it alone and get in better shape and carry my bike as needed?

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    1) Stock front de-railer can't do granny. You'd also need a 118mm bottom bracket. So thats at least three extra things you'd have to buy.

2) You can go as low as a 34. Well sometimes 33, but usually only 34.

3)Stock rear de-railer can shift to 30 teefs, but maybe not as smoothly as smaller, though in friction mode you'd not likely see much difference. 28 shifts great.

4)If you're into that sort of thing...Harden The F*** Up

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm running a 34t small ring up front with a 11-28 cassette and it's been fine on the stock derailleurs, however if I were doing longer rides with gear i'd certainly entertain a triple. The stock front d can handle a triple only if used with the bar end shifters. So you'd just need a 26t granny ring, bolts, and a 118mm bb.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I mate, try the cassette first, its the easiest option, and yes harden up

Regards.

Stephen.

mtbr member
    I'm running an 11-32 cassette with the stock derailleur. Certainly not spec'ed for that, but it does work.

powered by peanut butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwall View Post
    I'm running an 11-32 cassette with the stock derailleur. Certainly not spec'ed for that, but it does work.
    (Almost) ditto - I've got a 11-34 cassette and a long cage SLX rear derailleur, which works with the stock bar-end shifter and 9 speed Tiagra brifters.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I got tired of waiting for the "right" parts and I'm putting together a budget/craigslist build, so my drivetrain is coming off a trek 1220 21 speed. I had to buy a replacement triple fd because of clamp diameter. Cheapo michelin transworld city tires 700x47. Should I be worried? The BB came off the trek and is wider. Chain, cables, saddle, and bottle cages this payday; hopefully. I'll let y'all know how it goes. 52-42-30/11-28 7 speed cassette, I hope it works.
    Last edited by nelzbycks; 11-10-2011 at 07:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It works. Riding whenever time allows. Basically building a road bike while ignoring weight, rolling resistance, and aerodynamics. Comfort and utility however are high priorities on this one. The fd isn't indexing right, gonna have to find another. Chain does clear however. 700x47 on Mavic sup road rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Can you decrease both front rings and keep the FD? (42/30?) Add an 11/28 cassette? That's a pretty wide gear range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You mean friction? Yeah I suppose. I bought the derailleur because clamp diameter on original rsx fd too large. Should've just bought shims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I run a 22/32/42 mtn crank/BB with road cassette/RD and bar end shifters. Nice compromise between trail/roadworthiness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Pug View Post
    I run a 22/32/42 mtn crank/BB with road cassette/RD and bar end shifters. Nice compromise between trail/roadworthiness.
    I think that's the crank set-up I'm gonna go for next. My current 52 has been rendered completely useless by my choices in wheel, tire, etc. The aluminum road bike these parts came off of was much lighter than my cross check.