Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Creaky Krampus Headset?

I've built up my Krampus and have been riding it for about a month. I seem to have a bit of annoying creaking coming from the headset area? I got the Cane Creek headset and adapter that Surly sells w/this frame and I can't seem to eliminate the creaking? I do run a fair amount of spacers and 810mm riser bars. Is this creak possibly from that much torque being generated from this combo of long head tube and wide bars?
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    PaMtnBkr - did you ever solve this problem? I'm about to build up a Krampus and don't want to have the same issue.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    PaMtnBkr - did you ever solve this problem? I'm about to build up a Krampus and don't want to have the same issue.
    I HOPE I solved the issue but will know for sure tonight if the weather holds up? I epoxied my carbon fiber spacers together and I also found that my star fangled nut is slipping which is resulting in not being able to tighten the stem down enough? If my fix did not do the trick I will get a length of all thread and tighten the whole shebang together to get a better lock down on the stem? We'll see and I'll let you know what happens? BTW- I still love my Krampus! So fun to ride, even in nasty rocky stuff! I'm just slower through big rocky stuff to keep from destroying the tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had carbon fiber spacers make creaking/snapping noises on a different bike. Tried to solve it incorrectly and put some regular grease on them (doh, not supposed to). Short of it.... replaced with aluminum spacers and all noises gone. Give it a try, can't hurt.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    A new star fangled nut is in order. Cannot tighten enough to get rid of creak. Hope this will kill the issue.

mtbr member
    I've never had any creaking from my Krampus headset, but I did have it come slightly loose a couple times after hard rides. I put some carbon assembly paste (gritty grease, basically) on the steerer tube under the headset spacers (carbon) and stem clamp area. I haven't had it come loose since. Everything seems to stay in place much better now.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    My issue was I could not get a star fangled nut to hold enough to tighten the headset properly. I ended up taking a long carriage bolt and some washers, took off the stem cap, slid the carriage bolt up through the steerer tube and stem, tightened up the carriage bolt till I had proper pre-load on the headset bearings, aligned the handlebars so they were straight, tightened up the stem bolts, dropped the carriage bolt out and installed an old star nut to hold the top cap and off I went. I did 19 miles yesterday w/substantial climbs, some sweet rock work and ...........voila! No creak!!!