mtbr member
    Jan 2011

crankset on a cross check

Can I put a mtn bike crankset on a cross check? Just starting to put together my parts... I will be running SS only most likely (possibly 1 x ?) so will always have just one chainring in the front. I would be buying a 29 mtn wheelset to allow me to move to a 29 later on without having to purchase a new wheelset down the road. What are my limitations here?

Thanks much, -Ryan

mtbr member
    You shouldn't have any real problems at all. Any mountain crankset should have tons of clearance on the CC. MTB cranks generally sit further away from the frame than a road crank. Clearance issues are more common when you try to run a road crank on a frame designed around MTB cranks.

That being said, most people find a low q-factor more comfortable, and debatably more efficient. Road cranks generally offer a lower q-factor than MTB cranks (though there are exceptions). Depending on how far away you are from getting a MTB frame, you may find it worthwhile to run road cranks while you can, to maximise the benefits offered by the CC frame ...

Food for thought, anyways ...

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Tp--Tz

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky View Post
    You shouldn't have any real problems at all. Any mountain crankset should have tons of clearance on the CC. MTB cranks generally sit further away from the frame than a road crank. Clearance issues are more common when you try to run a road crank on a frame designed around MTB cranks.

That being said, most people find a low q-factor more comfortable, and debatably more efficient. Road cranks generally offer a lower q-factor than MTB cranks (though there are exceptions). Depending on how far away you are from getting a MTB frame, you may find it worthwhile to run road cranks while you can, to maximise the benefits offered by the CC frame ...

Food for thought, anyways ...

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Tp--Tz
    interesting... I do appreciate the feedback and the link.

-Ryan