mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Convert bar ends to downtube?

Hey I have a crosscheck with barends that I'd like to switch to downtube. Can the stock shifters work as downtube? Do I need any additional parts other than bar plugs?

Thanks

mtbr member
    They'll work. They look odd. No other parts needed other than some bar plugs. If you're not against friction shifters you might consider these:

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show...ube-kit/17-101

They're great shifters. I've used them as BE and DT shifters although they can be a bit finicky with 9 speed systems. I use 8 speed.

mtbr member
    You can see them here on this old setup on my Crosscheck:

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    how do you guys like is in comparison to the bar ends? I really like bar ends, but hit them with my knees from time to time on steep climbs when I'm leaning forward. The lack of shifter cabling on the bars really cleans up the look seat_boy.

edit: i'm using the stock 9 speed cassette with 32/46t chainrings and would rather keep it index shifting. I find 46x12 to spin out at about 35mph, which isn't a big deal for me.

mtbr member
    I've had the problem of hitting my knees on th BE shifter on stiff climbs but then I switched to a rapid rise derailer and the problem went away. It's not really an issue since I don't really sprint.

You might look for a pair of Shimano DT shifter. I do like the clean look of DT shifters.

Post a picture of the bike once you get it set-up.

mtbr member
    Mine are actually located on the DT as well. It looks way cleaner IMO than bar-end mounted.

Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    In terms of usability, bar end shifters are only a little easier to use for me than downtubers. In neither case can you shift while standing and hammering, like you can with STI. The only difference is that with bar ends, you can shift while standing and riding moderately--just slide your hand down the bar. I'll probably go with down tube shifters on my next applicable build.