Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: conundrum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

conundrum.

So, I've decided my next bike will be a Surly. That part was easy.

The hard part is deciding between the Troll and the Ogre...I haven't dealt with a decision this hard since deciding to get married, go back to college, have kids...etc. I envy you that have finalized such a deal. Ordinarily I'd just get a Troll, being as I tower at 5'6 with a 29 inch inseam.....but my last bike was a 29....and i love rolling over obstacles...apart from feeling like I was perched on it, rather than riding it. As for getting both? Not if i want to maintain matrimonial bliss.

mtbr member
    Totally thought this was going to be about the Conundrum unicycle...

I have a Troll and two (well, three) Karate Monkeys. Different animals.

What's the rest of your bike stable look like? Or is this one bike for everything?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If you LOVE rolling over obstacles,

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I sold my last bike as seed money, I'm without a steed at the moment. The pugs/necro/bigwheel option is beyond cool, but I'll need something a bit more well rounded on pavement. New rubber on those things can't be cheap.

I Ride for Donuts
    I have an Ogre and I love the crap out of it. It's the most versatile, fun bike, I think, like, ever. You pretty much have to get an Ogre or you will need to get both.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Buy a troll and a set of 650b wheels. My 1x1 w/ the B wheels is the bomb! best move I've done with the 1x1.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a Troll and run 700 x 25 to 37 for street and 26 x 1.6 to 2.35 for offroad. Could go larger if desired. Hard to beat that for versatility.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ The last two posts have made me want to get a Troll. Man I love my Ogre. I am now no help to you.
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 08-27-2012 at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    Totally thought this was going to be about the Conundrum unicycle...
    Me too! It'd be cooler if it was.

But Ogres and Trolls are pretty cool too. Wish I could say that I've owned and ridden both. But I haven't. I'd be happy to have either in my garage.

Something to think about as you're doing your web research. Forgive me if you already know this, but you might not if you haven't been following Surly very long. The Troll is essentially the "touring version" of the 1x1 - same geo and tubing, difference dropouts and braze-ons. Ditto the Orge with the Karate Monkday. The 1x1 was THE orginial production single speed frame (or close to it) and has been around a long time. The Karate Monkey was THE orginial production 29er frame (or close to it) and has also been around a long time. There's a lot of info about 1x1's and KM's on reviews, blogs, forums, etc going back like ten years that might help you with your decision.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am ~5'8" and I would get a troll. I would be open to 650B but I have no reason to be unhappy w/ 26" and the clearance on the troll frame means you can run as wide a 26" tire as you can find so I don't think you'll be losing much capacity for rolling over things. If I needed 29er I would go krampus. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing isn't it?

I would consider swapping my LHT for a troll, though I love my LHT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would say Ogre if you're good with the following things:

- Standover is probably going to be a bit worse
    - You'll run into toe overlap if you run fenders

Hmmm. I think that's about it. For their intended purpose, there's just a lot more going for a 29er than a 26er. To me, 26ers are now only really for downhill, jumping, and those who hate change. Also I'm 5'8" so I'm not tall, either. I'd say down to about 5'5" a 29er is okay, shorter and maybe it's better to go smaller.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    - You'll run into toe overlap if you run fenders
    I have run fenders with 2.35 big Apples and have had no toe overlap issues. Maybe a size issue though? Mine is a 22". I have size 12 feet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    For their intended purpose, there's just a lot more going for a 29er than a 26er.
    What is the intended purpose of a 29er such as an Ogre vs. a 26er such as a Troll?

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Good question. "Doing Everything" with bigger wheels vs "Doing Everything" with smaller ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I have run fenders with 2.35 big Apples and have had no toe overlap issues. Maybe a size issue though? Mine is a 22". I have size 12 feet.
    Apples and oranges. The OP will surely be on the smallest frame size and the wheelbase will be significantly shorter.

Intended use - light duty mountain biking, touring, general gettin' around. BB drop makes it more stable, big wheels roll obstacles better. Wheel size is obviously still personal choice but from a totally neutral position the 29" has more pros.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I went with the Ogre and I'm 5' 8". The 29er feels right under me and I can run less or no front suspension with the big wheels. I'm also running it with dirt tires while on the trail and big apples for the road. I use it to run the kids to school or bikepacking. For my money it was the best option all around.
    The LBS I support - http://atownbikes.net/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Apples and oranges. The OP will surely be on the smallest frame size and the wheelbase will be significantly shorter.

Intended use - light duty mountain biking, touring, general gettin' around. BB drop makes it more stable, big wheels roll obstacles better. Wheel size is obviously still personal choice but from a totally neutral position the 29" has more pros.
    Kinda disappointed. Always thought the intended purpose of a 29er was scoring bonus cool points with your buddies or as a chick magnet. Never thought it was somehing as mundane as rolling over obstacles.

mtbr member
    I debated between the two, and went with the Ogre -- but I'm 6'4". If I was your size, I would go with the Troll and run some really fat tires for mountain biking, something in the 2.5"-2.7" range. Should have plenty of diameter for rolling the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    Buy a troll and a set of 650b wheels. My 1x1 w/ the B wheels is the bomb! best move I've done with the 1x1.
    I agree completely...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Also 5'6" and went with the Troll because of the toe overlap issues. I ended up getting rid of my crosscheck because of the same problem and didnt want to deal with it again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Toe overlap only matters if you are riding fixed gear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i'm 5'5" and i use a size 16 karate monkey, fixed-gear, no front tire- toe overlap issues at all

i did notice some overlap with my size 49 fixed-gear steamroller, but then i don't do much turning riding on-road, not like off-road trails

can't go wrong with either the troll or the ogre, just get your preferred wheel size and you're good to go, they are really very versatile bikes

why not get both?

;-)
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    So I sit down at the kitchen table tonight and Missus Egg says " so have you ordered your bike yet?" I told her that I was fomenting a forum war between interested and knowledgeable 3rd parties to weigh pro's and con's. She giggled.

You guys have given me much to think about. I'm leaning towards the Troll, especially later on throwing on 650b's and maybe a Jones H-bar.. That smells like a gravel grinder ready beast. Dirty Kanza 200 here I come. ( I jest!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    good choice

you can even fit 29er wheels in the troll frame, but you can't do 26er/ 650b wheel swaps with the ogre

sorry i missed what you said in your first post, Re:
    "...As for getting both? Not if i want to maintain matrimonial bliss..."

what i meant to say was:
    make sure all your bikes are the same color and the missus won't notice it

too bad the troll comes in a nice orange color and the ogre in olive green :-(

have fun with your new bike, man
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bb1mina View Post
    make sure all your bikes are the same color and the missus won't notice it
    2013 changes will include both Ogres and Trolls available in black . . .
    Surly Bikes Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast