FAT-BIKE.COM Groupie

Changing shifters on my Crosscheck

So I have given my bar end shifters a fair go, and surprisingly I'm not too disatisfied. I just scored some 105 brifters pretty cheap, so now I have the urge to put them on. Here's where I'm clueless. I was told all I would need is a 10 speed cassette. Supposedly these 105 5600 shifters are 10 speed. When I shift the entire brake lever (mimicking shifting to an easier gear) I only get 9 clicks. My only other thought is, is there only nine clicks available because your chain is always on "a" gear, so you only have nine other available cogs to shift to? I hope so, because otherwise I was had. Either way, I want to make sure before I start ordering other parts. I figured on a cassette and rear derailieur, although my lbs said the deore long cage derailieur would work fine. I'm not quite sure what would make some pick between a short/medium/long cage der. I had a Trek 2.3 that I enjoyed the gearing on.

Trek 2.3
    50/34 and 12-30

My Cross Check
    36/48T and 11-32T

Either way, what would be a good compromise? I can't afford a new crankset right now, but I could probably afford the cassette and a rear der if I have to. I'll probably get a 105 crankset, front and rear der. eventually anyways. Just looking to get going soon is all. I was figuring on getting a 11-28 cassette. I'm assuming I'll have to get new front chainrings. Just looking for a little guidance/input is all. Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, the barends aren't going to waste. They will be going on my Pugs before winter hits.
    "You don't cross my ***** line, I don't cross your ***** line".
    - James Lahey Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor

mtbr member
    May 2005
    5600 is a 10-speed group.

If you want to match the gearing of your other bike, try playing around with this:
    Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by deleteyourselph View Post
    My only other thought is, is there only nine clicks available because your chain is always on "a" gear, so you only have nine other available cogs to shift to?
    Correct

10-click-9-click-8-click-7-click-6-click-5-click-4-click-3-click-2-click-1