mtbr member

Changes to the Monkey over the years

I picked up a very used stretchpants black Karate Monkey September of 2010. It was a real eye opening experience coming from a $3000 full-suspension 26" XC/downhill rocket sled to a simple $400 rigid 29'er singlespeed and I haven't looked back. Since then, I sold the full-suspension (it wasn't getting ridden anymore ) and replaced almost all of the components of the Monkey to suite me better.

I have no idea what year my frame is but I have seen other threads where folks noticed slight differences between the years. I was hoping that someone could help me identify the year of my frame so I could compare it to 2012. My only issues with my Monkey are narrow chainstays (I run Ardent 2.4's front and rear), a short head tube (I am 6'2" on a Large), top of toptube cable mounts (I prefer underneath the top tube). Unbolting the rear disc caliper to remove the rear wheel isn't an issue and the very firm Surly fork has been replaced with a buttery smooth Waltworks.

I would like to know if the chainstay clearance is any better on the 2012. The headtube has been lengthened from 95mm on my frame to 110mm on the 2012. Has any of the geometry of the bike changed?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As far as I know, the only geometry change was last year, when they increased the standover by dropping the top tube down and adding that El Mariachi-style gusset to the seattube. And I guess the headtube lengthening. But otherwise, its been pretty unchanged since 2002.

mtbr member
    Can anyone take a picture of the underside of the chainstays near the BB with an Ardent 2.4 tucked in as close as possible? It would really help me make my decision on whether to go with a new frameset or modify my current one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    According to Surly the first digit of the serial number is the last number of the manufacture year - eg. M4567858 was made in 2004. I've no idea what happens after 10 years though.

mtbr member
    Thanks Individualist. My Monkey is from 2008.

I also noticed on the 2012, there is a support bar with a fender mount option that has been added between the chainstays. This might help with rear end twist. I would still like to know if an Ardent 2.4 can be fully tucked into the chainstays without rubbing. I have to run my rear wheel pretty far back to avoid hitting the chainstays when accelerating quickly or standing and hammering up a hill. I have about 5mm clearance on each side of the tire but apparently this isn't enough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Some of the changes seem to have been mid-year. My 2011 20" gray frame has the revised rear caliper mount and line/trip guides vs. stops (for continuous cable housings or brake hose), but not the rack mounts above the rear caliper. Also no chainstay bridge, which seems to have been added for 2012.