mtbr member

Century on a Monkey

Hey All!
    I'm pretty sure I have my mind set on selling my CrossCheck and building up a Commuter Monkey. I'm much more comfortable on my mountain bike (Niner Air9) than I am on my road bike. I've converted my CrossCheck to Flatbar and that's helped a bit, but I would like disc for the nasty winter months.

So, I do about two centuries a year, has anyone here done some high milage rides on either a flat, or drop bar KM?

Also, How does the KM do with drop bars?

And 'cause everyone loves photos, here's my CrossCheck:

Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    I rode the entire RAGBRAI route self supported on my KM with 32 Ritchy cross tires, Titec H-bars, and Ergon grips. Oh yeah and Brooks saddle. The one day was 106 miles. The K Monkey is great for long rides. Here is what it looked like.

100_1043.JPG (image)

Before that, I had a Cross Check set up almost identical to yours. Loved the CC, but I wanted something that was better off road. Here is what my CC looked like.
    100_3254.JPG (image)

100_2652.JPG (image)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have done two metric centuries on my KM. The first I did with drops and Schwalbe big apples (2.35) and the second with Titec's J bar and some Continentals (700x32).I found the J bar to be more comfortable and I plan on doing a century ride coming up this Sept. Overall, I have been very comfortable on it. Here is the current set up.
    ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Century on a Monkey-img_2598.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've completed one Dirty Kanza on my Karate Monkey w flat bars, plus a ton of gravel centuries including about half of a TransIowa. It's a perfectly capable bike for long rides. I rode the TI on drop bars with no issues, but I did use a fairly steep stem to get bars where I wanted them. If you don't cut the steerer, you should not have any issues.

The KM frame is very flexible, and I think it's easy to set the bike up to be about anything you want.

TransIowa setup

Dirty Kanza 2008

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sfuller,

What size is your KM and what kind of frame bag do you have there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Endoverend! View Post
    Sfuller,

What size is your KM and what kind of frame bag do you have there?
    I bought it used, but I'm guessing it's around a 20 or 21" frame.

The frame bag is the popular and inexpensive Jandd frame bag. Think I paid $25 or so for it. I use it on just about every long gravel ride I go on. I mostly stuff food, plus wallet, phone, glasses and stuff in there. It doesn't get in the way even when stuffed full and I'm out of the saddle.

Steve

PRETENDURO
    I did a century ride on my Surly 1x1 in single speed mode. 110.7 miles to be exact. Does that count? I know, I know, not quite a Karate Monkey, but I did it with 2.5" wide Large Marge DH rims and heavy-ass tires.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I did a century ride on my Surly 1x1 in single speed mode. 110.7 miles to be exact. Does that count? I know, I know, not quite a Karate Monkey, but I did it with 2.5" wide Large Marge DH rims and heavy-ass tires.
    hey Leopold, thanks for the post...made me decide to finally get off the fence and get a set of Marge rims built up

I have been using velocity p35's and for the last year I have been wanting wider rims for a wider profile using big apples for road/commuting/utility bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ironic... I just sold my Monkey for a Cross Check! lol We could have traded.

About your question... I did a 70 mile off road race on the Monkey in single speed mode (32:17) back in April. It was fine with the riser bars I have on it (RaceFace Carbon).

They are very comfortable bikes. That's said, I also ran it with drops (both as a cyclocross bike and a mountain bike). I never could get the bars high enough to be comfortable. If you buy new, get the bars where you want BEFORE you cut the fork. If you don't, I was able to find a 90mm 35 degree stem that got it very close... but no cigar.

mtbr member
    Well I'm definitely reconsidering my decision seeing as how the Medium has a 60cm TT, and I would like to run some sort of dirt drops on it. I'm Thinking more along the lines of a Salsa Vaya or Fargo, not too sure yet.
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam View Post
    Well I'm definitely reconsidering my decision seeing as how the Medium has a 60cm TT, and I would like to run some sort of dirt drops on it. I'm Thinking more along the lines of a Salsa Vaya or Fargo, not too sure yet.
    I had the pleasure of riding a Fargo with drops... that is a sick sick bike.

If I were looking for a drop bar endurance mountain bike I would look no farther.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I love my Fargo. It's a little heavier than my KM, but it's very capable bike. Without racks, it works really well on the single track we have in the area. I can pop a couple of racks on it and it will haul all sorts of stuff. I think it's a bit more comfortable for all day in the saddle than my KM was with drops.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by doco View Post
    hey Leopold, thanks for the post...made me decide to finally get off the fence and get a set of Marge rims built up

I have been using velocity p35's and for the last year I have been wanting wider rims for a wider profile using big apples for road/commuting/utility bike
    Once you get used to the added rotating weight of the Large Marges you will truly be able to appreciate their uniquely amazing abilities. You can run any tire at roughly 1/2 the recommended PSI rating, which provides a much more comfy ride, and greater cornering confidence. Im running Large Marges on four of my bikes and I cannot see a reason to go with a skinny setup ever again.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.