Thread: CC Toe Overlap?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

CC Toe Overlap?

I am in the final stages of setting up a new CC. 54cm frame and standover height seems to be JUST enough, as I just barely touch the top tube when standing over it on the ground. This build has 35mm Marathons and fenders... and a bit of toe overlap. Probably not much to do about it, but it's really annoying as I'm running around to keep kicking my front fender on sharp turns.

It's probably something I'll get used to, but for a frame known for having a long TT length, it's a bit annoying to still have overlap issues.

Maybe I can bring the fenders in a little closer to the tires... that would help a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I get overlap with my fenders, too, but it has never been a practical problem, just a theoretical one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I amgoingto disagree with wschruba and say that the toe overlap on mine was enough to get me to sell my Cross Check. I simply purchased a size too small, and would not have had stand over issues by sizing up, so it was completely my fault. That said, I could not get used to the toe overlap and was consistently bothered by it in low speed situations especially. I have had many people express that it is a non-issue, but for me it reinforced my position to never own another bike where it might be an issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, we'll see. The overlap is pretty small, and would likely go away if I took the fenders off... but as a commuter I want to keep them. So far I've only noticed it on sharp turns at really low speeds (aka tooling around the drive way). I doubt it'll be anything like an issue at speed.

Given the (lack of) extra standover clearance I have, there's probably not much to do about it... either a different bike with a slacker head tube angle, shorter cranks, or ditch the fenders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I also ride a 54cm cc w/ 35 or 40mm tires, I only have toe overlap w/ fenders, not the tires; it's not that often that I am going slow enough that I have my toe on the wrong side of the wheel. Pretty much only when riding fixed, and I am not sure it has happened since I got my last riding buddy off of training wheels.

mtbr member
    I have a Salsa Casseroll with pretty noticeable toe overlap with my RNR CX tires on. At first, I had to really think about a turn as I went into it so my crank was placed correctly so my foot wouldn't hit the wheel. A handful of rides later and I just noticed that my unconscious preplanning crank position into a turn has translated over into my other bike rides on different bikes.
    I rarely hit my toe on the wheel anymore and if I do, it is climbing and turning at low speeds, so it isn't a danger really.
    Sometimes being short with clown feet sucks.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    No need to ditch anything. Cut the back of the fender shorter. That will give you your toe clearance. If you have to move your lower fender brace, just redrill and pop rivet.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm with sleeveless on this one. I bought a 56cm CC specifically to build up as a fixed gear with fenders, and had overlap with the 28mm front tyre *before* the fender was attached. Even set up with it barely missing the tyre, my foot still overlapped fairly drastically, and there's not a lot one can do about pedal position with a fixed gear. My commute includes some very sharp turns on bridges and cycleways, and the overlap was a pain, also when trackstanding. Result was that the frame was replaced by one with a longer front centre.

I'm not sure what people say the CC has a long top tube either, as the 56cm C-C (really 59cm C-T) frame is IMHO average in length; my old tourer was 15mm longer, and had a slighty lower top tube too...