mtbr member
    Apr 2009

CC light weight rack options?

I have a rear Surly rack that I have on my Ogre that I was thinking of putting on my CC for commuting. The only issue is it seems heavy and overkill for my panniers and this type of bike.

What are people using for rear racks that might be lighter than the 1260g of the surly rack?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    How much stuff and exactly what are you carrying? Will a seat/frame bag work for you? (see Revelate Designs or Jpaks).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Most of the time it would be a change of clothes, laptop, and a notebook. Other times it will be packing gear for touring for two or three days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm not sure what your definition of "light weight" is, but I have a Tubus Cargo on my CC (~625g) and it works quite well. According to spec, that's about 1/2 the weight of the Surly Nice Rear rack (which I have on my Pugsley). I usually run with my Carradice Nelson saddlebag, so I could probably go with just a Bagman rack and be done with it, but I need room for panniers every once in a while, and the Cargo works for me. You could probably get the Tubus Logo if you need something lighter...

CC light weight rack options?-cross-check.jpg
    CC light weight rack options?-cross-check.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have a PDW paydock rack is aluminium so quite light is mounted on my troll seems pretty sturdy to me and looks nice with bamboo laminate top.
    It should be up to what you describe using it for it was one third the price of a the tubus cosmo I returned after seeing the PDW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CC light weight rack options?-img_20131012_014943.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotty dog2 View Post
    I have a PDW paydock rack is aluminium so quite light is mounted on my troll seems pretty sturdy to me and looks nice with bamboo laminate top.
    It should be up to what you describe using it for it was one third the price of a the tubus cosmo I returned after seeing the PDW.

That's the Loading Dock. I have the Payload (steel version) and that thing is a tank. Only a pound heavier than the aluminum version, but just over double the load capacity.

For what you're after, the Loading Dock should do just fine.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I stand corrected was a few months ago when I fitted mine yep for the slight extra weight you get a really strong rack.
    Pretty sure you can buy replacment bamboo tops if they get scrappy looking or damaged too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotty dog2 View Post
    I stand corrected was a few months ago when I fitted mine yep for the slight extra weight you get a really strong rack.
    Pretty sure you can buy replacment bamboo tops if they get scrappy looking or damaged too.
    You can. I've had mine for 3 years now and it has seen a lot of use, and been used on 2 different bikes, including my Pugsly. That said, it has held up really well. It does have some marks here and there, but that's just character. Or cover with stickers.

Love the rack. I've even laid by bike down on the drive side (black ice) and the rack didn't bend a bit and definitely saved the derailleur.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    For light weight and great strength it is hard to go wrong with Tubus.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dlavi View Post
    For light weight and great strength it is hard to go wrong with Tubus.
    Tubus cargo rated for 80 LBS.

Of course, I had a welder friend help me modify my Tubus so that it had an opening the right size to natively mount a Yepp Maxi Easyfit kids seat. No adapter needed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Think you'll find the Tubus is one of the best combination of strength, weight and cost that is available.
    In particular I like the stainless Cosmo because when I considered the attractive brush finish would never need paint touch ups or rust removal I considered it a no brainer.
    Others may roll different and theres room for all opinions.