CS2
    mtbr member

CC Geometry Question

For all you CC owners have any of you had a problem getting the bars up higher with the short head tube? Multiple spacers just look ugly.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    All at once now, repeat after me: the head tube doesn't affect bar height, just the number of spacers to get there. Or the stem.

With the 62cm frame, I run an uncut steerer. That left me about 50 or 60mm of spacers to deal with. Not terrible, but not great, for appearance. I tried to hide some of the height with the brake hanger. In this setup, the bars are about 1" above the saddle:

Lately, though, I've been running a front bag, and I used a second stem to support the bag. I wouldn't have been able to do this with a really tall head tube:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    For all you CC owners have any of you had a problem getting the bars up higher with the short head tube?
    The headtube is shorter only because axle to crown fork length is bigger than on a road bike, so effective bar height is the same.
    Ride more!

mtbr member

I guess it depends on how many spacers you find acceptable.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    All at once now, repeat after me: the head tube doesn't affect bar height, just the number of spacers to get there. Or the stem.
    Like I mentioned in the original thread I find a lot of spacers to look really ugly. A nice one piece spacer might looks better. That's the one advantage of a quill stem. They look so nice.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The Hansome Devil comes with a bigger head tube.
    It looks just like a CC with a gentle sloping.
    Same price or maybe a little cheaper but only 3 sizes.

mtbr member
    The Soma Doublecross also has a significantly longer head tube than the CC--but doesn't have all the fun single speed and big tire options. There's a lot of smart thought that went into the Crosscheck, and I think Surly settled on their head tube length for a reason.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

mtbr member
    Also the black mountain cycles cross frame has a longer head tube, otherwise seems pretty similar to the CC including the big tire clearance and semi horizontal dropouts.
    Black Mountain Cycles: Black Mountain Cycles Frames