Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    211

    CC Brake upgrade questions

    I took my new CC on the single track I ride on my mountain bike yesterday and overall I think the bike did great. My only concern was going down a very rocky section and not having the stopping ability needed to feel comfortable. There was defiantly no stopping...just slowing down.

    Are the Avid Shorty 6 brakes that much better than the stock TeKTro ?

    If not would upgrading the pads make a difference? I have been riding disk brakes for years and maybe my expectations are a bit off. Starting to regret not waiting for a straggler.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rjwall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    140
    i had a similar opinion riding my CC on singletrack. great ride but braking could be much improved. I originally switched to koolstop pads and got them in good adjustment as was suggested to me. that helped to some extent. this spring, i switched my front brake to a mini-v brake. i got the cheap tektro version. it works great. excellent stopping power in all conditions and no more hand fatigue from riding the brakes in the hoods over rooty/rocky singletrack.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  3. #3
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,055
    Yeah, V-Brakes (Which they very literally, are usually not.) Or the more accurate title "Linear Pull Brakes" are fantastic. I've set up my girlfriends commuter with Single Digit 7's and when set up properly against my BB7s with organic pads, they actually seem to have more power (sintered pads beat them, though) anyone who rides her bike comments on the braking power.

    V-brakes have little "parallel push" linkages that keep the pads aligned against the rim. But over time cyclists just got to calling direct pull/ linear pull brakes V-brakes because they dominated the market.

    There is really nothing wrong with the Cross Check. At all. had the Straggler not been announced I would have just bought a CC. and it would have met all my needs. Wet weather braking and being able to neglect my rims a bit were the real selling points for the discs. not power.

    good luck.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    145
    I also have my CC set up with Avid's Single Digit 7s and, as mentioned, they are great. Compared with what came stock on the bike they are night and day, and yes the power is very similar to the discs. I also have KoolStop MTB pads so wet weather is no issue.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,834
    If you have bar end shifters, I'd recommend swapping the levers out (V-brakes, aka linear pull, need more cable pull) and running V-brakes. I did that with my stock Crosscheck a long time ago and the difference in stopping power was massive. If you are running "brifters", then I'd swap out for some mini-V brakes like the TRP CX-9 or CX8.4. I built a Crosscheck for a friend and used the CX-9 brakes - they stop great but need to be really close to the rim to work. The C8.4 might be a better choice because of that, but I have no experience with that version.

    Soon somebody will come on here and tell you that cantilevers can stop just as well if set up correctly. Maybe, but I've never seen it happen. Go V-brakes and don't look back. You'll be glad you did.

  6. #6
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Soon somebody will come on here and tell you that cantilevers can stop just as well if set up correctly. Maybe, but I've never seen it happen. Go V-brakes and don't look back. You'll be glad you did.
    Hahaha! there is always that one guy. In spite of the facts that basic physics proves they just, dont.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    If you have bar end shifters, I'd recommend swapping the levers out (V-brakes, aka linear pull, need more cable pull) and running V-brakes. I did that with my stock Crosscheck a long time ago and the difference in stopping power was massive. If you are running "brifters", then I'd swap out for some mini-V brakes like the TRP CX-9 or CX8.4. I built a Crosscheck for a friend and used the CX-9 brakes - they stop great but need to be really close to the rim to work. The C8.4 might be a better choice because of that, but I have no experience with that version.

    Soon somebody will come on here and tell you that cantilevers can stop just as well if set up correctly. Maybe, but I've never seen it happen. Go V-brakes and don't look back. You'll be glad you did.
    Is there a big difference between the $27 dollar Single Didget 7 and the $149 a pair CX-9 other than the cost. IT looks like the CX-9 is about 35 grams lighter, but other than that......

  8. #8
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,055
    the big difference is they take different levers. Mini-Vs like the CX-9 take normal road levers.

    Single Digit 7's are going to need Drop V levers, or some sort of lever that compensates for the longer pull of Mountain bike brakes.

  9. #9
    lord of my world
    Reputation: surlywhore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    314
    I just put Tektro Mini v's on mine and they work awesome, and they are super cheap!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    the big difference is they take different levers. Mini-Vs like the CX-9 take normal road levers.

    Single Digit 7's are going to need Drop V levers, or some sort of lever that compensates for the longer pull of Mountain bike brakes.

    So I do plan on running the Tectro brake levers for now, but upgrading to Shimano 105 soon. Would the CX-9 work for both sets of levers?

    Thanks for all the help

  11. #11
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,055
    Any "Mini-V" will do just fine with 105 levers.

    there are lots out there, even ones that don't cost the CX-9 prices.

  12. #12
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,055
    Tektro 926A Mini L-Pull Brake > Components > Brakes > V-Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

    look, a half decent pair of minis for 11.99 instead of 149.99

    90% of the quality for a fraction of the price.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Soon somebody will come on here and tell you that cantilevers can stop just as well if set up correctly. Maybe, but I've never seen it happen. Go V-brakes and don't look back. You'll be glad you did.
    Ha! Okay, I'll be that guy. Cantilevers can stop just as well if set up correctly. Sort of. V-brakes (and mini-v's) are more powerful, but wide profile cantilevers modulate much better and can be almost as powerful, if they are properly set up. Modulation is nearly as important as stopping power for overall braking performance, maybe more so in low traction situations (like offroad). But hey, setting up cantilevers is kind of an arcane art, whereas V-brakes are dead simple. I wouldn't fault any one for going that route; I use 'em on my mountain bike.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

  14. #14
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,055
    Not to be argumentative, more as a debatable point, I know how to set up Canti's rather well. Professionally well, but by no means an Zen-type expert. And I freaking HATE the level of modulation Cantilevers provide. The modulation is just too wide. That being said, I found older hydraulic discs to be too firm. No matter what. Newer ones have an acceptable feel. but for me they used to feel OFF/ON.

    L-pulls always felt perfectly in the middle. less modulation, surely. But with a more attentive grip they gave me plenty of modulation in all situations.

    Cantis sure as heck don't need razor trued rims to function perfectly... but for the performance of an L-pull. I'd take that extra maintenance.

    Or go disc. you can be real lazy with those. pop in a couple pads, a new rotor sometimes. ride them a certain way to bed them. and go.

  15. #15
    Rider down under
    Reputation: Hugor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    249
    I upgraded the stock suicide bar end shifters to 105 as soon as I bought the bike. I still have the original Tektro cantis with the original pads.
    I can skid the rear wheel easily on bitumen and even easier on gravel.
    I don't see the point of any more braking power.
    The only advantage of discs IMO would be in wet conditions.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugor View Post
    I upgraded the stock suicide bar end shifters to 105 as soon as I bought the bike. I still have the original Tektro cantis with the original pads.
    I can skid the rear wheel easily on bitumen and even easier on gravel.
    I don't see the point of any more braking power.
    The only advantage of discs IMO would be in wet conditions.
    Are you running the stock 9 speed or did you upgrade to 10 speed?

  17. #17
    Rider down under
    Reputation: Hugor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by eredinger View Post
    Are you running the stock 9 speed or did you upgrade to 10 speed?
    I've gone 10 speed. The shop did the conversion but I'm still using the original wheels.
    I actually like the canti's now as I swap between 3 wheel sets. One has 23mm road tyres, one Cx, and the other (the stock ones) for my trainer/commuting.
    Swapping between the wheels with canti's is very quick.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    356
    For you V-brake owners, how easy is it to take off your wheels?
    I am running Happy Mediums that measure out 35 mm at the knobbies. I am looking at getting the Paul Mini Motos.

Similar Threads

  1. First time brake upgrade questions
    By KevHock in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 02:14 AM
  2. Brake upgrade questions
    By bonedizzle in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 10:57 PM
  3. Another brake upgrade 160 to 180 questions?
    By joeynational in forum GT
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 04:47 PM
  4. Brake upgrade...
    By NHmtnbke in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2011, 10:23 PM
  5. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 01:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •