mtbr member

carbon post in a KM?

I recently acquired a carbon Bontrager Race X lite seatpost and I would like to stick it in my Karate Monkey. I am a little concerned with that beefy Surly clamp on that carbon post. What would be a safe torque to put on that bolt with a carbon post?

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Yes. Just don't over-tighten it.

Many years ago I over-tightened a Bontrager post and I ended up just stripping the bolt on the collar.
    Get it unlocked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The clamp doesn't care what material the post is made from, the post on the other hand should be tightened to no more than 5Nm.

mtbr member
    meh, nevermind. It's a Bontrager ACC post and everything I have read about it says it slips a lot when used on a mountain bike. sounds dangerous. plus, a carbon post on a Surly mtb seems just wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Really?, I'm starting to think that putting an aluminum post on any steel frame is retrograde. People choose steel and carbon over aluminum for it's ride quality for frame material and then take a step backwards and by using aluminum seatpost. My KM with a Ritchey Carbon Pro and Brooks B-17 Imperial Narrow was awesomeness.

mtbr member
    I think I could do it, but every review of the post I found said it slips and changes angle when you hit a bump. I would ignore the reviews, but the story is pretty consistent.