mtbr member

Cane Creek angleset on a Monkey?

Anyone ever use one on a KM? I was thinking of getting one to "slacken" the geometry a bit. Around here I do a lot of technical descents, and I like to go fast. However, the more XC oriented geometry is noticeable at times. Rather than get a new frame, or live with it, I thought this Angleset might be a good investment. In addition to the hedset, I was going to get more aggressive brakes, run a wider bar and more aggressive tires, I was thinking Ardents.

Just curious to see if these things work well and are worth the $150. Thanks.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Cane Creek doesn't actually make an AngleSet model that is compatible with traditional 1+1/8" external cup head tubes (EC34)

Fear not: there are other options, and they are simpler and aren't going to possibly creak or clunk like some people experience with the AngleSet. The downside to these alternatives is that they have to be made specific to your headtube length and aren't as universal or transferable. Works Components makes a 1.0 degree model (you might need to double check the insertion depth on the KM) and Saar G7 (an mtbr member) makes geart ones that are a bit slacker as well as custom options. Saar's don't include the headset internals but are designed around Cane Creek bearings. I installed a 1.5 degree model from Saar on my Inbred and it made my bike feel way more capable and aggressive without compromising climbing ability. The front end and BB actually gets a bit lower when you slacken the headset. He was great to work with too

mtbr member
    Hm, I'll have to investigate some of these other options, thanks for the tips!
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Why not get a headset with a taller lower cup?

A Cane Creek S3+5 Headset (or the similar Chris King) and a taller tire in front (compared to the back tire) should slacken it a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    Why not get a headset with a taller lower cup?

A Cane Creek S3+5 Headset (or the similar Chris King) and a taller tire in front (compared to the back tire) should slacken it a bit.
    20mm of additional stack height or fork length only changes the head angle by about 3/4 of a degree so 5mm will only change the bike by less then 1/4 of a degree, whereas these headset can get you up to 1.5 degrees of change and without making the bike taller. The taller CC and King headsets do have their place too though