mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Can you fit a Child seat to a Karate Monkey (or photos of 20" frames)

I was all set to upgrade my hack bike for a Troll frame then after riding my Salsa 29er and seeing the new Surly Ogre, I think I need to have another bike with big wheels.
    I manly use the bike I have currently got with a child seat on. So I just want to make sure that the seat would fit on a 20" Karate monkey frame as I don't know if the kink in the seat tube and the big wheels would get in the way.
    This is the style of seat

Or if any one has got some photos of a 20" frame built up that would be good to see how much clearance there is.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Timely post. I'm trying to get a kid seat on my Commuter Monkey for my nephew. Looking at the iBert currently since he's still little.

Here's a 20" pre-2011 KM:

Here's the frame area you're pondering:

For comparison sake, those are 2.35" Schwalbe Big Apples, wheel about 2/3 back in the track ends, and Planet Bike Cascadia 29er fenders.

mtbr member
    slimhazy,

That fender attachment (down by the bottom bracket) looks cool. Care to share details?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Cheers Slimhazy for the photos. I reckon it should fit, there is defiantly enough seat tube length to fit it and the clearance looks ok.
    Looks like I might have to wait for a Ogre then!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzer View Post
    Cheers Slimhazy for the photos. I reckon it should fit, there is defiantly enough seat tube length to fit it and the clearance looks ok.
    Looks like I might have to wait for a Ogre then!
    Dude, I want an Ogre bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Endomorph View Post
    That fender attachment (down by the bottom bracket) looks cool. Care to share details?
    Larry-
    The previous owner kludged that together. I think he said it's part of a cheap LED flasher. That's what it looks like up close. Here's a marginally better photo cropped from the hi-res he sent me when it was listed on Craigslist:

It's a good idea, but the nut/bolt that were holding the band and the L-shaped piece together worked its way off while I was riding it home. Right now those two parts are held together with a twist-tie and duct tape.

I need to take the whole thing off and take it to a hardware store to get a proper replacement for the bolt. I think I could make something similar with a big enough P-clamp (cable hanger) and a small piece of aluminum banding or channel. And of course some Loc-tite this time!