mtbr member
    May 2008

Can someone please explain to me...

...whether I'm missing something when it comes to interpreting Surly's sizing.

I normally ride a road bike with a 53cm Effective top tube. This is generally a smallish size. To purchase the equivalent in the CrossCheck would mean ordering a 42cm frame, which seems tiny - and makes me hesitate heaps about getting one! I know I'm on the small side, but I wouldnt have thought I'd be at the extra smallest end of the company's range (referring to frame size people!).

what else do i need to know??

mtbr member
    Go to a dealer and test ride one and see how it feels.
    That should clear up problems no?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FatCloud View Post
    most of us don't have the advantage of shops that carry surly bikes in stock :-/
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FatCloud View Post
    Easier said than done where I live

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    most of us don't have the advantage of shops that carry surly bikes in stock :-/
    This sounds like the worst kind of place to live...

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ya if I fought the traffic for an hr I know a few shops in the city the have them... but I rarely goto the city... so I don't even know if they would have my size... (large)... and for the OP they would be on the other side of the spectrum in small frames it sounds like
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    It looks like the frames smaller than 54cm have sloping TTs to accommodate the 700c wheels. Also, the Cross Check runs long in the TT. To get the right TT you may have to run a size smaller and some spacers under the stem or a tall stem if you want the bars near saddle-height. If you aren't concerned about the look of spacers and not having a "slammed" stem then the smaller frame will be just fine. I'm a lanky 6'3" and rode a 62 which fit me well enough though I could have gotten away with a 60 and an un-cut steer tube.

Also, if you are confident that you fit best on a 53cm TT, then you'd be on the 46cm bike, but I bet you'd find the 50 just fine as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I see I am not the only one who is not close to a surly. I would have to drive 2.5 hours to even get to somewhere that MIGHT have one in stock, but probably not have one built up in my size even if they did.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm in Perth Australia and could find no stocked Surlys when I decided on my Ogre.
    I had to wing it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yep, I'm in regional Victoria, no Surly's here...
    The other thing is that with pricing here in Australi at the moment it's far cheaper to order one from o/s than it is to buy instore. Understandably though, shops don't really like ppl going in to size themselves up for a bike only to buy over the net. Hence the difficulties in ensuring proper size when ordering online...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asunder View Post
    ...whether I'm missing something when it comes to interpreting Surly's sizing.

I normally ride a road bike with a 53cm Effective top tube. This is generally a smallish size. To purchase the equivalent in the CrossCheck would mean ordering a 42cm frame, which seems tiny - and makes me hesitate heaps about getting one! I know I'm on the small side, but I wouldnt have thought I'd be at the extra smallest end of the company's range (referring to frame size people!).

what else do i need to know??
    Not all bikes are going to fit everyone well. My buddy and I have exact opposite needs. He wants a long ST and short TT - I want a long TT and an avg ST. We don't end up liking the same bikes.

The CC with a 53cm eff TT is the 46cm frame not the 42cm frame.

On the CC you could get a 50cm frame which has a 54.1cm eff TT and run a stem that's 1cm shorter. That gets you to the reach to the bars you want without such a short ST.

You may want to just look at a different bike. For example the 52cm Salsa Vaya has a 52.5cm eff TT which may be more to your liking.
    Last edited by vikb; 08-05-2013 at 09:13 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    how tall are you and what's your inseem?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi, I'm 5'6", inseam 28.5"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i'd be looking at the 50cm's geometry. i'm 5'8" with 31" inseam and i have the 52cm. i run off road drop bars with an 80mm stem and it's good for me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ok thanks. That confirms my thoughts. I'll still try and sit on one though. I'm also thinking of a Pake c'mute too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    My buddy and I have exact opposite needs. He wants a long ST and short TT - I want a long TT and a long ST.
    That's not exactly opposite. Exactly opposite would be a short seat tube and long top tube, which is what I need and why I'm about to sell my CC frame.

The other thing to consider apart from effective top tube length is front centre: Waltworks Bicycles: Front Center: It Works, *****es

IMO, the front centre on the CC framesets is short. In my case, the 54 cm frame (57 cm centre of BB to top of collar) is tall enough, but the top tube is way too short and even with the slightly taller than ideal 56 cm frame, the front centre is short enough to have lots of TCO on low speed tight turns and when doing track stands, both frequent occurrences; I ideally need something like a 54 C-C seat tube and a 58+ C-C top tube. Be careful that you have enough space at the front, especially if contemplating using fenders/mudguards. Also, please be aware that the CC uses fairly heavy tubing, so if you are looking for a lively ride something else may well suit you better. YMMV.

The geometry on the new Straggler frame is supposed to be a bit different, so if you're not opposed to disc brakes it might be worth waiting to see what changes have been made there. Otherwise there are options from Soma, and others too. Better to buy the one that fits best IMHO, and effective top tube isn't the only thing that matters there!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    i'd be looking at the 50cm's geometry. i'm 5'8" with 31" inseam and i have the 52cm. i run off road drop bars with an 80mm stem and it's good for me.
    Any chance of seeing a pic of your bike to visualise the reach, seat post, etc?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here ya go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ooh actually that's before i tweeked it, i put on an 80mm stem, that has a short high rise bbb stem on it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    looks good! You seem to have quite a bit of seatpost out (relatively so anyway).. plus some huge tyres!!
    So if that's the 52cm, then I guess the 50cm has the sloping TT??

awesome. Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ Interesting! My seat height on the 56cm frame was probably very similar to Steve's (750mm from centre of BB to top of saddle), but with more setback, lower bars and a 110mm stem. I still had major overlap problems, not a good thing for me on a fixed gear commuter that had to negotiate tight turns.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    yeah i hear you on the toe overlap, the only thing i don't like about it, hence no fenders on this one, my last one i ran fenders and it was a pain in the @r$e!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ In fact it looks from your picture as if *the pedal* would almost hit the front tyre, though I guess once the wheel is turned there'd be a little bit more room. I had overlap without fenders, and worse with them. Unfortunately, this made the bike basically worthless as I got it to replace a track frame with the hope there'd be clearance... [sigh]

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    not as close as it looks. Pics for reference. I run my cleats up the top of my shoes too. Tyre clearance shown with shoes clipped in also, more room when i take off the 2" tyres.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    do you ever find this an issue?