mtbr member

Can some measure their troll for me?

I'm thinking about buying a Troll and one of the things I would do with it is haul panniers. I have sort-of big feet, though so heel clearance has been an issue for me with many bikes. So before I invest in a frame only to end up learning that it won't work for me, I'm hoping to enlist some help from someone who already has a Troll...so if you're a Troll owner could you please measure the distance from the center bottom bracket to the rack eyelet on the rear dropout?

From what I can tell from squinting at pictures of the Troll it seems like there are two, maybe three potential threaded eyelets that could take a rack, so please post the measurement to whichever one is farthest overall from the bottom bracket.

Thanks in advance.
    Fat, tired.

Pedaling Nowhere

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I will try and measure the exact distances to the various mounting points on my wife's frame when I have a chance, but in the meantime here's some info that might help you:

- Chainstay length on all sizes is 16.5 inches. This is measured from the center of the BB to the innermost point of the dropout.

- There are three different threaded eyelets that you can potentially use for a rack (even though the closeup shot on the Surly website only shows two).

- The innermost eyelet is less than a cm above the innermost point of the dropout and only a few mms back.

- The other two eyelets are much higher, probably 1.5 inches above the dropout and at the same level as one another. The eyelet that is furthest back is roughly an inch further back than the innermost point of the dropout.

Pretty rough for now, but hopefully of some use.

mtbr member
    Thanks Tweezeglint and canyonrider, this info has been helpful, although I'd kind of already decided to go ahead and have my LBS order one figuring that it was a safe bet that they'd be super-pannier friendly. Now I just have to wait for the 20" frames to come back in stock at QBP!
    Fat, tired.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Do you still need this measurement? 455mm to the farthest eyelet.