Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Brutally Handsome

Big Fat Dummy With The Meat Shakin On The Bones

Not sure if anyone really cares, but I'm so excited about my Dummy that I had to share. After two weeks of waiting, the huge, coffin size box came and I immediately took the frame down to the LBS for prep and then shot it with some framesaver. Then I threw some wheels and parts on to make it a rolling chassis so that I could get a feel for it. Here's where I'm at right now. Only thing I'm not sure about it which brake/shifter combo to use: XT Trigger / Avid Lever or XT Friction / Dia-Compe Lever. Originally I was going to do trigger but the H-Bar lends itself to the top mounted friction thumb shifter. Any advice/ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Fat Dummy With The Meat Shakin On The Bones-bd-1.jpg  

Big Fat Dummy With The Meat Shakin On The Bones-bd-2.jpg  

Big Fat Dummy With The Meat Shakin On The Bones-bd-3.jpg  

Big Fat Dummy With The Meat Shakin On The Bones-bd-4.jpg  

utilitarian biker
    Congrats on getting your dummy, I was the same way when brown left me my frame.

You're gonna love it.
    Long live long rides.

The Brutally Handsome
    Thanks Mountain Medic!

People have told me not to worry about stacking high on these, but is 70-80mm too long?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Fat Dummy With The Meat Shakin On The Bones-bd-5.jpg  

dude with orange car
    Hah! Cool!

I'm a little further along in my build, but have been moving slowly on it for weeks now. Friend gave me some Juicy 7s for free, so I'll be using them. Hoping to have time tomorrow to put together a new longer hose to the rear brake and bleed it.

I left the steerer uncut too and am starting with the stem somewhere in the middle with about fifty billion spacers above and below it. We'll see where it ends up. Steerer seems pretty beefy and I wouldn't worry about having the stem as high as yours unless you're really pounding the heck out of the bike, and maybe not even then.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

utilitarian biker
    My steerer is totally uncut and I have the stem at the top. It is totally comfortable to me.
    Long live long rides.

mtbr member

Torture!

I'm jealous to see yours even that far along. I picked up my frame from the LBS last week, but since it's technically a Christmas present, I promised my wife I wouldn't build it yet. It's driving me crazy!
    Fat, tired.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    Thanks Mountain Medic!

People have told me not to worry about stacking high on these, but is 70-80mm too long?
    I use a stem that has a 55 mm tall clamping area so I use a lot less spacers than normal.

The Brutally Handsome
    Thanks guys! Here's where I left off last night. Decided to go with the XT friction thumbies because they shift like greased lightening. I also decided to take Surly's idea of putting an inner tube on the v-rack/frame connection a little further by slipping an old inner tube over the whole v-rack. I dig the all black v-rack look! Anyway, had a chance to ride it around a bit last night and it was a blast, felt like I was driving a semi truck! Depending on how much time I get today I should be able to finish it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Fat Dummy With The Meat Shakin On The Bones-bd-6.jpg  

Big Fat Dummy With The Meat Shakin On The Bones-bd-7.jpg  

The Brutally Handsome
    This bike is AWESOME!!! Thanks everyone who gave me advice and help with this project!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Fat Dummy With The Meat Shakin On The Bones-bd-8.jpg  

Riding or Drumming
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Medic
    My steerer is totally uncut and I have the stem at the top. It is totally comfortable to me.
    +1 Left mine long too...
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

Lighten up.
    Another vote for uncut steerer = schlap happy owner:

Great to see the build, Sizzler! And that tube idea around the rack...I like it. What size did you use?

mtbr member
    Sizzler, congrats on the BD. I've said this probably 100 times, if I had room for a BD it would be a done deal by now...

The Brutally Handsome
    Thanks for the compliments!

Mango, I just used an old inner tube, slid right over the rack!

Troll, you need a BD with couplers, a travelers dummy, I bet you'd be the first one on your block to have one!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Very nice Sizzler. Looks like you have a happy traveling companion as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Jodon! (really awesome!)

Devo
    forgive me for my lack of total recall...
    I'm thinking you were amidst a conundrum of LHT, FreeRadical, scrapping up the cash, etc...

so what do you think of The Big Dumb World?

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

The Brutally Handsome
    yes, i was deeply embroiled in a mental quandary whether I should buy a dummy, freeradical or just keep my LHT, and in the end decided to buy and build a dummy.

for the past two weeks, i have been riding my dummy every single day and to say it's different or better would be a severe understatement. in reality, it has completely changed my bike life. the comfort, stability and carrying capacity of the bike has opened a new realm of biking possibilities, and i feel a renewed sense of freedom while riding my bike.

for example, my daughter now rides with me on a daily basis. she hops in the pod and we grab lunch, buy groceries or just go exploring. and rather than having to drive to work because i have a bunch of supplies i need to bring, i can now throw it all in the bags and ride. none of that would have been possible using my LHT: it's as if all the shortcomings of my previous bikes have been solved in one design.

anyway, to sum it up i enjoy the BD more than i ever thought i would. thanks for your advice during the decision making process. i clearly made the right one!

Devo
    the dummy is a bike that has been designed "in complete"
    in that I mean to say
    that it is nothing of a bolt on
    obviously it has been designed in specific.

yes... i concur
    My dumb life had also been changed.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    so now what of the other bikes?
    do i recall you had a MTB that you sold?
    www.AsanaCycles.com

The Brutally Handsome
    The LHT was the first to go, and it fetched such a price that it payed for the dummy and accesories by itself. I also sold my kona, but wasn't able to sell my Santa Cruz. I used all the XT components off it to build the dummy, so it's just a frame and fork, I guess there isn't a market for 10 year old full suspension mountain bikes. If it's any indication how much I like the dummy, I haven't once wished that I had the LHT back, even though most would consider it to be a nicer bike. For me, the BD was everything I was looking for in a bike, it's like a commando family truckster / rolling toolbox!

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    The LHT was the first to go, and it fetched such a price that it payed for the dummy and accesories by itself. I also sold my kona, but wasn't able to sell my Santa Cruz. I used all the XT components off it to build the dummy, so it's just a frame and fork, I guess there isn't a market for 10 year old full suspension mountain bikes. If it's any indication how much I like the dummy, I haven't once wished that I had the LHT back, even though most would consider it to be a nicer bike. For me, the BD was everything I was looking for in a bike, it's like a commando family truckster / rolling toolbox!
    This is really interesting to me, since I'm considering what it would (will?) be like to have only two bikes (as mentioned previously). Seems to me the only two bikes I'd want/need are the Dummy and the Pugsley. The LHT must stay in the 'fold' 'til the TransAm ride is done next summer...

But, again, this is interesting since I too have a ten year old Santa Cruz (Heckler) that I'm about to part out.

Also interesting (to me, at least), that, as an early adopter of the Big Dummy (I practically stalked the @#%! thing, scoring one of the first frames in March of '08), I find myself still promoting it to people. Surly has blessed us all with the Dummy, and any effort I can make to promote that will continue.

Speaking of Surly, I'm currently driving across the United States and am thinking about stopping at Surly HQ tomorrow. See if they'll allow their faithful servant into the QBP Temple for a precious few minutes....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoman

Speaking of Surly, I'm currently driving across the United States and am thinking about stopping at Surly HQ tomorrow. See if they'll allow their faithful servant into the QBP Temple for a precious few minutes....
    I'd like to visit there someday too and I'm only a couple hours south. I am for sure going to tour the Surly Brewery sometime when I'm up in the six twelve.

mtbr member
    i just finished my pugsley and it is BADASS.
    we have a family big dummy (though i have been riding it a good bit).
    we originally got the bd when my wife was going to take my daughter to school. despite our height diff, it can fit us both really well (i also installed a quick release on the stock lock collar). things changed with the school commute and now i can ride it at my whim (oh and i do). my regular bike is a surly lht, BUT i have also pondered selling it to fund a new set of 29ers for the pugs. then i could feel a lot better about just having a couple bikes. the BD doesn't feel slower AT ALL compared to the lht and in a lot of cases it feels more agile (prolly the smaller wheel). the pug would fly with the 29ers and 2in big apples (compared to the lht anyway). i am already going to throw racks on it, so it can tour too.
    anywho, i have enjoyed your build threads and reading your decision process. glad to see it isn't a huge deal to sell one's lht.
    my daughter LOVES the bd. she gets super car sick and hates it when we have to drive. i tried the trailabike/lht, but it sucks in comparison (wonky ass steering - i hear burley picolos are better). if you live in a cold climate, consider a thermal mask for the little one. it made all the difference for us.
    enjoy your bike!

The Brutally Handsome
    Mango: Unfortunately, this is probably the point of lowest value for our SC bikes. It turns out that most people looking to buy a full suspension mountain bike want new or relatively new. However, unlike most 10 year old FS bikes that were still in the experimental phases, the Heckler is a time tested design that is still in use today and is entirely update-able with modern parts. Personally, for the price I would rather ride an old, US made Heckler than a new, foreign built frame that costs thousands and is prone to cracks. It may behoove you to keep the Heckler and wait for the prices to go up again, as it will surely be considered "vintage" in another 5-10 years.

I haven't done the trans-am yet, but I have done some touring and I think if I was going to choose between a Dummy or an LHT for such a ride I would choose the BD for it's stability, cargo carrying capacity and 26" wheels. However, if I had to ship it back afterward (or before) then I might pick and LHT as shipping the dummy would be very difficult and expensive.

aljee: Nice pugs pics! Looks like your from Oregon as well? Cold weather is certainly an issue with the kids riding the BD, but I've found rain to be a bigger issue. Have you figured ways to keep the kids dry? Only idea I've had so far is to throw a poncho over them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aljee
    my daughter LOVES the bd. she gets super car sick and hates it when we have to drive. i tried the trailabike/lht, but it sucks in comparison (wonky ass steering - i hear burley picolos are better). if you live in a cold climate, consider a thermal mask for the little one. it made all the difference for us.
    enjoy your bike!
    Piccolo's supposed to be better because it attaches to the rack (comes with) rather than the seatpost, and that makes a lot of sense. My wife can't ride with the trail-a-bike; we thought it was just our older's fidgetiness pulling her all over, but it turns out the 5 yr old, much more stable on the bike, brings too much top-heaviness also. She only has 1 more year at most as cargo then she's onto her own bike, and she will spend my wife's share of that cargo time in the trailer.

Steel adams trail-a-bike actually weighs more than our burley trailer. Our daughter at least pedals her own weight, I had to keep braking her down last night so we didn't run up and over our 8 yr old who I was letting lead the way on his own bike. He, on the other hand, is a total slacker on the t-a-b and so doesn't pedal his weight (and weighs more) *and* shifts his weight bouncing all over the place all the time (since he doesn't have to pay so much attention to keeping the whole rig upright, he passes that balancing act entirely off to the person up front). If the piccolo had been available when we got the t-a-b, I can't swear I could have convinced my wife to make the price leap, but I'm sure that if we had it would have been a better all-purpose all-parent kid-mover than how we wound up.

I did a bike->t-a-b->trailer train once, but that was w/ cargo in the trailer and our son riding his own bike, I didn't like it much as it was and probably would have liked it less w/ a kid on each segment but it was an experience anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast