mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Big Dummy questions

What are they like to tour on?
    How wide can you go with tires? rims?
    IGH set ups?

mtbr member
    My Dummy thread: A Magnificent Machine: My Dummy and Me

Touring: Large, stable. Bring the kitchen sink, but don't expect to catch a bus or train with it.

Tires: Wide. The largest I ever tried was 2.25s on Gordos, and there was still plenty of clearance. I think there is a fat dummy thread on the forum. Use your search.

IGH: Talk to Vik.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Found lots of good info and answer's to my questions. One more though-when will the complete bikes be available?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by akclimber49 View Post
    Found lots of good info and answer's to my questions. One more though-when will the complete bikes be available?
    Surly just told my LBS that the bike Surly had promised for me by mid-Nov was going to be mid-Jan (18" complete). Toby at North Central Cyclery managed to sweet-talk Surly into finding a complete bike for me now. But I suspect you are looking at the January date for any new orders.

You could always eMail Surly and check...? Or go the XJaredX route and build up a bare frame.

bikewrider.blogspot.com
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by akclimber49 View Post
    What are they like to tour on?
    How wide can you go with tires? rims?
    IGH set ups?
    AK,
    I'm guessing you found your answers over on the cargo bike thread, but if you're around Anch I've got one you can see in person if you're interested.

I've stuffed a modified Endomorph in the front before on a 44mm rim, can't quite make the Gazzalloddi fit in the back.

There's more room for rubber up front than in the back, Although I've seen the back end modified to fit 3.0's. I've got 2.3 Nokian studs on for the winter.

Some photos of Team Dumm at Eklutna this spring here:
    Bike wRider: Dummy, Donkey Day

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

big dummy

the problem with tires in the back is the length to the rear cross tube, not the tire width. I have 24" rims on mine, and easily fit 3" tires (Felt Berm Masters) and fenders in running a fairly narrow rim. I'd love to get 24" large marge's, but can't justify the work/expense now. But man would that be a fun combo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the answers. I have not decided to build or buy complete-It makes more sense dollar wise to buy a complete(when they are available) Especially when shipping to Alaska is factored in. Although I do like building bikes