mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Big Dummy and elevators

Hey all, does anyone who owns a Big Dummy live in an apartment building? Does it fit in your elevator? I keep my bikes on my covered balcony.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I keep my big dummy in the basement of my condo building. It does not fit in most elevators I've come across. It's a cumbersome bike to heft up the stairs, but for me, it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Hey all, does anyone who owns a Big Dummy live in an apartment building? Does it fit in your elevator? I keep my bikes on my covered balcony.
    When I first got my Dummy I lived in a downtown high rise for 3yrs. I was a bit worried about getting it up and down. I found that I could just wheel it in and turn the front wheel 90 deg to the frame and it would just fit.

If your elevator is a bit smaller you can also pop the front wheel up and tilt the bike upwards at an angle to get it to fit.

The only hassle I had was I needed to take off any major cargo/wide loaders in my lobby and deal with it separately. Despite all this I used my BD a ton while living downtown because it was so damn handy.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I commuted to work on my Xtracycle, worked on the 3rd floor. I agree with vikb, just lifted the front wheel a bit and turned it to the side, fit no problem. With a heavy load I could see it being a pain. I ended up just locking it downstairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I remember seeing a thread in the cargo bike forum where an owner installed 2 rollerblade/skateboard wheels on the frame where the wideloaders slide in in the rear. To get it in the elevator he tilted the bike up on the rollers and wheeled it in standing straight up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    I remember seeing a thread in the cargo bike forum where an owner installed 2 rollerblade/skateboard wheels on the frame where the wideloaders slide in in the rear. To get it in the elevator he tilted the bike up on the rollers and wheeled it in standing straight up.
    I saw that awhile ago too:

DIT: TailWheels | Every Day Adventurers

A great update idea for Big Dummy V3. Or maybe some enterprising machinist could offer a kit that would insert into the rear horizontal tube. Only problem is how to make it work with WideLoaders. But like VikB said, those tend to exacerbate the elevator and downtown storage issues with a longtail anyway...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks folks, I'm starting to think that it just may be worth the hassle, there are some inconveniences with living car-free, luckily the benefits out weigh them!