Thread: Bicycle Hauler

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Bicycle Hauler

I've been car free for well over a decade now and I have a variety of bikes suitable to handle just about any situation I come accross. The LHT is probably the closest to my car replacement bike. The one thing that I'm currently not able to do with my bikes is haul another bike. I'd like to go BMX racing but without a car, riding the BMX bike the 10 kms to the track and then home won't leave a lot of juice in the engine for the actual racing. Same with trail riding, it's 55 kms from my door to the trail head. Riding the mountain bike on the highway to and from the trailhead does not sound like fun.

So the decision comes down to which machine to haul the bikes, a Big Dummy or a Bill trailer. I have a LHT and a Troll capable of pulling a trailer. If I got a Big Dummy I would also use it as a chubby winter bike. Any ideas or thoughts from Big Dummy or Bill/Ted users.

mtbr member
    Big Dummy. So much fun. I'd use mine as my daily commuter if it wasn't such a pain hauling it out of the basement.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member

I prefer a Big Dummy to bike + trailer which I have used a couple different versions of.

I also own a LHT, but have no desire to put a trailer on it.

For the 20km round trip to race BMX a BD would eat that up compared to riding the BMX there.

If you have a 110km round trip to go MTBing I'm not sure a LHT+trailer or a BD+MTB is any better than just riding the MTB. No matter how you slice it that is going to be one epic day of riding. If that was you main need for the bike carrying capacity I would ride some slicks to the trailhead swap tires to knobbies then swap back to slicks for the ride home. Given the length of the trip spending time at both ends of your ride to change tires seems reasonable.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My vote is for a Bob with a car top "tray" added. I'm a big fan of modular solutions so the trailer seems like a great idea to me. You can basically leave your other bike(s) as is but add tons of capacity as the situation demands. The one down side is that you have to be good at planing your trips so you have the trailer when needed, but I would think you've got that handled since you have been car free for so long.

mtbr member
    I had a Big Dummy, and it worked well for hauling other bikes (especially with an axle mount bolted to the rear cross-brace). However, if you're not going to regularly carry a passenger (i.e. a kid), I would recommend a trailer. I like the Burley Flatbed for its versatility. A trailer would mean hauling capability when you needed it, and not when you didn't, and the ability to carry large awkward objects that don't fit as well on the Dummy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Use a bikes at work trailer.

mtbr member
    Saddle Up, your best bet is to probably get a Big Dummy, Dummy Hitch and a Ted Trailer. It's still cheaper than a car.

I was just out on my Big Dummy today, it's a fun bike and I'm stoked to have it. I still have yet to do a camping trip with it and a century ride. Maybe next year.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The shop I work at built a Bill trailer with 4 roof top racks on it. The setup works nicely but I do not have pictures. I built this with some scrap steel to use the wheels and hitch from my doggy ride trailer. The Surly trailers are MUCH higher quality but this works. I did have to add an extension to my trailer for longer bikes.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=vikb;10756194]

I prefer a Big Dummy to bike + trailer which I have used a couple different versions of.

Hey Vik, what's the story in these pictures. How do you have the rack attached to the wide loader? Any chance of getting more pictures? Seems like a great set-up. I recently saw a guy with a BD who had mounted a fork mount from a car rack to the Flight Deck on his BD for towing his bike around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks everybody for the thoughtful replies. I'm leaning towards the BD, I think it would be a bicycle that I would ride. When not in hauling mode I think it would make the ultimate winter bike with the long wheelbase. Perhaps use it as a bike packing rig. Maybe even ...... build the world's first 650b BD. 650b x 42 would roll along nicely, plenty of volume to handle gravel roads.

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Thanks everybody for the thoughtful replies. I'm leaning towards the BD, I think it would be a bicycle that I would ride. When not in hauling mode I think it would make the ultimate winter bike with the long wheelbase. Perhaps use it as a bike packing rig. Maybe even ...... build the world's first 650b BD. 650b x 42 would roll along nicely, plenty of volume to handle gravel roads.
    The thing about the BD that made me buy the Ted Trailer is maneuverability throughout rooms in my house. If you always know you can just ride it into a garage, then that might be cool. I also don't want to figure out a way to put it on a car's hitch rack or roof rack tray-extenders.

I can't see why one the roof trays wouldn't fit pretty well on the Ted Trailer, but you are considering the Bill's much longer bed. Plenty of room.

The trailer is the nicest trailer I've ever seen, and it rides amazingly nice too, but it's still kind of cumbersome to maneuver around different rooms inside, when it's not hitched to the bike.

I rode a B.O.B. for years, but not having the weight affecting throwing the bike around is so much better. On a BD, all that weight is "in the air" also more weight on the kickstand when it's parked. Of course, the BD can handle all that just fine.

You know that feeling when your pannniers are packed full and heavy? You can "feel" it in the way the bike "feels" heavy, leaning it side to side and stuff. It's more solid, but jumping up onto the curb is less inviting.

This is why I love the Ted Trailer. Oh man, it's total freedom, and you bike "feels" light as all heck. The only time I feel it is up a hill, but the attachment is so tight, that it doesn't "push and pull" you, or jostle on its hitch, especially if you keep a steady cadence. But then you can stand up, and torque on the wide handlebars, and throw your bike back and forth and smash the pedals up the hill. None of the weight is affecting your side-to-side bike mashing.

I would also get the trailer for its design alone. The radial laced wheel's hubs are marvelous to behold. The way the hub's have no nuts sticking out, gives it an extremely narrow clearance. I think it's narrower than my panniers and handlebars, I think. You can get creative and make it look like a miniature Winnebago, or a little cottage. You could put turn signals andn brake lights on it.

You can use it on all your bikes, forever. Your peers could use it without grinding on your new cassette, on their own bikes.