mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Best Offroad/MTB Dropbar for Crosscheck ?

Hi. I'm trying to choose right offroad dropbar for crosscheck. Want a proper offroad setup, for riding in the drops. So, drops must be A LITTLE below sadlle.

First try :

Best Offroad/MTB Dropbar for Crosscheck ?-0_7c684_93ad734_xxl.jpg

WTB Mountain Road Dropbar + some noname stem. I liked the feel, but drops position was too low for me. I want something like this :

Best Offroad/MTB Dropbar for Crosscheck ?-dropps.jpg

In other words, I want drops to be higher, and, in the same time, to use a regular stem, maximum 17 degree up.

Ended up choosing between Salsa Woodchipper and Ragley Luxy bars. Ragley has a minimum "drop", but on woodchipper you can use "on the hoods" in addtition to "in the drops"...Or so it seems.

Any suggestions, advice, opinions ?

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Dunno, I ended up using a Cinelli stem and bar on my CC. I'm curious as to what you find, and more importantly like. The only off-road drop bars I ever knew were the old WTBs. But no in the world am I getting a pair of those now!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

Abby Normal
    On-One Midge Bar - excuse the non-Surly content ;-)

Been using these for several years, love them. Looks like you are using the Tektro V-brake road levers, those are my favorite shape and work perfectly on the Midge bars. Midge bars work fine with barcons. My only complaint with the Midge bars is I wish the bar ends were a skosh longer. But for off-road riding they are the bees-knees.

Midge bars can be hard to find, but looks like these guys have em' - On-One Handlebars - Drop Bars (Road, CX, Track) On-One Bar Midge AL 31.8 BLK HB047-BLK.

Origin 8 makes the 'Gary Bar' which is almost an identical copy of the Midge, but I think the tops are not as wide and a bit different flare angle. Also (from what I have heard) getting barcons to work take a little time with a dremel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My favorite is currently the Woodchipper. I've tried Midges... they're meh. You might like the Luxy if you can find a place to buy it.
    Luxy Offroad Drop Bar Ragley Bikes : never crazy - just Ragley

mtbr member
    I've got the Gary bars, drops are below the saddle and feel comfortable there. Might be a second generation of the bar because I use bar-end shifters that installed with no problem. My setup works out well for me - I really like these bars.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Midges are nice but the lower section is too short. I'd like a custom stem like LD Stems for Sale | Flickr - Photo Sharing! to get my bars a bit higher. Seat is level with the hoods as it is. That bottom photo was taken 50km into a 100km off-road ride (the longest MTB I have ever done) and they were pretty comfy.

White Wall
    Mountainbike

mtbr member
    You could try rotation your current bars up. I don't think changing the bars is going to get the drops significantly higher--I have both a Midge and a WTB dirt drop like yours, and the WTB has more room in the drops, but I think this extra room is mostly "down" if that makes sense.

You need either a longer fork steerer tube or a higher rise stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    @all - I can buy and afford any offroad drop bar, and know them all: Ragley Luxy, Origin 8 Gary Bar II, WTB Mountain Road Dropbar, Salsa Woodchipper, On-One Midge. The Quetion is - which one will replace WTB?

@Holmes nice woodoo here.

@Schmucker If you were to choose between Woodchipper and Luxy, what you take ?

@jesusburger actually I have a HIGH rise stem, the point is - change the bar, so I dont have to use this stem Current setup:

@seat_boy i think it will. WTB got lowest drops of all offroad bars...Luxy got highest, and Woodchipper is something between them.

mtbr member
    if you want to try some Silver Gary IIs for not a lot of coin - I've got a set that didn't work out for me. Silver and 31.8mm clamp size.

PM if interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I run WTB Mountain Road bars and they are pretty freaking sweet. Might still have too much drop in them for you though....

Abby Normal
    What kind of stem is that? Looks sweet! Personally I'd say that if you are really going to be doing any 'serious' trail riding where you are having to be up out of the saddle on technical sections very often then you'll be better off with that super hi-rise stem. Your lower back will thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    brand is "xenium", 150mm long, 30-35 degree rise. 20$ with winter discount.

then you'll be better off with that super hi-rise stem.
    This whole topic is about how to get rid of that super high rise stem. I had my crosscheck with flats and ergons :

But a wanted more orange, and offroad, with flats just did not give the right feeling... Maybe I'll try low-riser tomorrow...

Abby Normal
    Well, looking at your bike and the length of your steerer I think that without a really tall stem you would have to compromise a bit in the comfort department *if* your off-road riding involves being up out of the saddle (particularly on technical-ish descents). From the pics you have posted though your terrain look fairly smooth and flat, so maybe that's not a concern. Otherwise, I think the Ragley bars have the shallowest drops, so maybe give those a whirl?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm 6 feet tall with 34" inseam.
    I went with a 58cm frame to get the seat/bar drop to a minimum.
    These bars are the Ragley Luxy and the tops are parallel to the drops. I never ride on the hoods and only sparingly on the tops.
    I went with a 30 degree, 80mm length stem.
    The tops are about 20mm above the seat so the drops are 55mm below.
    I've raced this in CX, short track XC and a longer (110km) endurance event.
    Its very comfortable despite its gangly appearance.
    Don't worry too much about standover and size the frame to have the old "fistful of seatpost showing" method.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Offroad/MTB Dropbar for Crosscheck ?-crosscheck-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'd probably go with the Luxy for the shallower drop. I do very much like my woodchippers with STI levers. It works surprisingly great in all positions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    had the same problem with my wife's 1x1, she kept complaining that the bars were too low for her

instead of changing to a high rise stem like yours, i ended up swapping her fork with my other 1x1 fork with a longer steerer tube

although her bike ended up with a lot of spacers, she says she's a lot more comfortable with the setup now

might be worth looking into
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    cementbags , nice coincidence - I ordered Ragley Luxy about 12 hours earlier before your reply