mtbr member
    Aug 2009

best brakes for Pacer

Dear all,

I just built up my new Pacer using some parts from my old road bike, including a pair of 105 brakes from around 2003. However, after I got used to my SD7 brakes on my crosscheck, I really lost confidence regarding the stopping powers of the 105. What is a good alternative for the Pacer? Obviously, I canīt use SD7...

best,

mtbr member
    If I was going for "best" I'd be very tempted by the Paul Comp centerpulls. I'd choose silver.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    wow, those are indeed nice brakes. However, the come at >100 USD per piece :-( Any cheaper options out there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    you could try mini-Vs (they work w/ any lever).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi Hardy,

problem is that the Pacer doesnīt come with a frame prepared for those sort of brakes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Best is the Paul's. Everything else is just meh. My road bikes have brakes that work, but they're not my discs and they're not like my Avid Ultimate canti's either. Just get the Paul's.

Kaishingo
    The Pauls come in a centermount version (to fit a pacer).

Now if you don't feel like dropping that kind of dough...I put Tektro R-538's on my wife's Casseroll. Excellent stopping power on the steep dirt-road pitches we ride, and the q/r allows her 35mm tires to pass with no prob. I was planning on putting the same brakes on my Pacer (however, all that eye candy above has me rebudgeting)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzilla
    The Pauls come in a centermount version (to fit a pacer).
    Yeah, which is why somebody suggested them?

The point about 'the frame not being prepared for those type for brakes' was responding to the suggestion of mini-Vs. The Pacer won't accept mini-Vs.

mtbr member
    I'd try some new Kool-Stop pads before you splash-out, especially if your existing pads are old (i.e. hard).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    x2 on new pads- either Kool Stops or SwissStop of you can find them. Also, better brake cables/housings will improve the feel and power as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Tektro 538 and Paul Racer M brakes

I have had both the Tektro 538 and the Paul Racer M brakes on my Pacer (not at the same time), and both work just fine. The Tektro 538 brakes are astoundingly nice for the $50-60 retail price per pair. Throw on some Kool-Stop pads for $14-15, and you have a very nice set up. The long-throw quick release is especially cool, especially if you are using 28+ mm width tires.

I went nuts one dreary winter day and ordered a set of Paul Racer M brakes in "High Polish" finish. I have fenders (35 mm wide Planet Bike Hardcore) on the Pacer, and the dual-pivot Tektros would push the front fender over to the side a bit when engaged. This, of course, was totally unacceptable! So, for a mere $200 more than the Tektros cost, I have a beautiful set of Paul Racer M brakes and the front and rear cable hangers needed for center-pull brakes.

The Pauls are stunning in appearance, and they work just fine, but I can't really say they stop any better than the Tektros. My front fender, however, stays stock-still when the brake is engaged. Of course, having a brakeset that cost me about 2/3s of what I paid for the Pacer frame is pretty crazy. But, what the heck, it's only money.

You can't go wrong with either option, but on a bang-for-the-buck basis, the Tektros are hard to beat.

Dale

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Bang-for-buck it is! I guess I will first get some good new pads, and if still not enough I will go for the Tektros...Paulīs look very nice, but for the moment thatīs not the budget Iīm looking for...

best,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brettsportler
    Bang-for-buck it is! I guess I will first get some good new pads, and if still not enough I will go for the Tektros...Paulīs look very nice, but for the moment thatīs not the budget Iīm looking for...

best,
    So get some pads, and put the money you save into a Paul Brake Futures Fund.
    Disclaimer:I work in a Bike Shop.http://www.northcentralcyclery.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just to let you know, I installed some new Kool stop pads (the salmon-colored ones), and it's an amazing upgrade in braking power! So far, no need for fancy Paul's...

mtbr member
    Take a look to TRP pivot brakes. Totally made by cnc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_sparthan View Post
    Take a look to TRP pivot brakes. Totally made by cnc.
    by Tektro Racing Products, nice stuff indeed.