mtbr member

bb rust prevention maintenance

So how often do you guys pull the bb and clean and lube? Have any of you noticed rust buildup very quickly? Please post all preventative measures and tips.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If the bike has been out in very wet conditions and been under water then it's a full strip and dry out and re-grease everything.
    When frame is dry blast out the tubes with WD40, leave for a day or two, mop up excess pooling and rebuild (solvents in fresh WD40 don't play well with sealed bearings, don't use on bearings)

My KM has a drain hole in the BB shell anyway, mostly remove the seatpost and check drain holes (gas vents from welding up process) are all clear.

Steel frames don't need much looking after, but if you know it's been filled with water then clean it up sooner rather than later.

I might be wierd but i quite enjoy stripping it down, and giving it a deep clean and re-grease once or twice a year because of that i have never had surface rust or deep rust, apart from with truvative sealed bottom brackets, once water gets inside them, thats it, external bearings easy to service and maintain.