mtbr member
    May 2006

Bar-end shifters and brake levers (X-post with Cyclocross forum)

I am building up a Cross Check with a Salsa Woodchipper Bar and trying to understand what I need to order as shifter and levers.

My questions to the ones who already have experience with this kind of build are:

- What Cane-Creek SCR-5 levers (regular or compact) will better fit my hand/bar combo? My hand size is a large in most of the glove brands.

- Will the Dura-Ace SLBS77H 7700 9 speed bar-end shifters work with any 9 speed Shimano rear derailleur?

Thanks
    Franz

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Franz:

I will give it a shot (see bold text within your quote area):

Quote Originally Posted by fb71 View Post
    I am building up a Cross Check with a Salsa Woodchipper Bar and trying to understand what I need to order as shifter and levers.

My questions to the ones who already have experience with this kind of build are:

- What Cane-Creek SCR-5 levers (regular or compact) will better fit my hand/bar combo? My hand size is a large in most of the glove brands.

I don't (yet) have a Woodchipper on any of my bikes, but I have a similar bar (WTB mountain drop) and have similarly sized hands -- I'd say go with the regular size SCR-5 levers. That's the size I have on a couple of bikes. It's a nice lever.

- Will the Dura-Ace SLBS77H 7700 9 speed bar-end shifters work with any 9 speed Shimano rear derailleur?

This one is easy -- YES! I have those shifters working Shimano 9 speed road and MTB rear derailleurs on a couple of bikes.

Thanks
    Franz
    Hope my answers are helpful to you! Sounds like a great bike you are building.

Dale

mtbr member
    I don't have a Woodchipper either, but I do have a dirt drop bar as well - the Gary 2. No CC SCR-5's either, but I'm running Tektro 520's. For whatever it's worth, I really like my setup. And I'd say go with the regular sized levers instead of the compact.

I also happen to run those DA bar-end shifters and love them. They're precise, easy to adjust, and since I'm usually in the drops, fairly easy to reach and actuate. I run them with an old XTR 9 speed der I had in my spare parts bin, and they've been spot-on since day one.

I'd suggest you trying to route the housing up along the bars under the tape, exiting by the stem. I ran them traditionally at first, looping out under the bar-ends to the shifter bosses on the downtube. After a few months, the cables flapping around down there started to bug me, so I re-routed them under the tape. Looks much better and shifts just as well.
    Last edited by pedalmunky; 11-25-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for your help. I'll post pictures once it's done.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    On my CC I use older Cinelli bar and stem combo. I can't answer your question about bar set-up, but I do use the DA bar ends as well, but with a 1987 Shimano 600EX shortcage RD. This is 9spd, btw.

I ended up drilling holes in my bars so I could run them internally. No messy housing to deal with.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....