mtbr member
    May 2012

Anyone put a kickstand on your Troll/Ogre?

My Ogre is my family hauler. It will regularly pull a Weehoo trailer (a single wheel/tippable contraption).

I can't easily get back and unstrap/water my son without a kickstand.

Anyone put an aftermarket kickstand on their Ogre or Troll?

Don't care how "tough" or even truly stable it is - I just need to be able to prop the bike up for a minute to get to the trailer.

mtbr member
    I have been thinking of doing the unthinkable and trying one on my Ogre. Mainly would only use it for touring or long day trips.

So far, I havent found a good mounted kickstand option that might work for the frame BUT I did find something that might work at Click-Stand The Only Portable Folding Bicycle Kickstand! *. I may give this a try. They seem to show alot of Surly's in the gallery.

The last time my bike had a kickstand was when I was 10 yrs old. I took it off within the first hour of bringing home from K-Mart.

* (I hope it's ok to post a link. I am not affiliated with this company.)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That might actually work. Thanks.

jl
    climb
    Zeke,

I have a double kickstand on a couple of bikes. It is great to load and unload groceries, kids, etc. without having to find a wall, or watching the bike fall to the ground when it gets unbalanced.

Google This: pletscher double leg kick stands

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have the exact same issue with my Troll. I use it to carry my child along with any and everything else. I have a small collection of the best stands out there and none of them will fit properly without causing damage. I have settled for a little device called a "Cool Stand". It's just two foldable legs attached to a plate that sandwitches between the crank arm and pedal bolt. It can't damage the bike and will hold an non loaded bike, but is not strong enough to hold any weight at all. I just use it to hold the bike upright while I lift my son up into the seat, then I lean on the seat to take the weight off of the stand as I lower him in. I wish Surly would not be so stubborn on this issue, and give us what we all want- a built in option for mounting a stand. No argument is going to convince me that it is best to lay down my bike on a busy Tokyo street to remove my child on his side. By the way, it's actually illegal to lean onto or lay down a bike on anything anywhere here. So there goes Surlys argument.
    Last edited by Tokyotroll; 06-03-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Misspelled words

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I forgot to mention that I also am using one of Velo Orange's wheel stabilizers to keep the front wheel from flopping around while loading the bike.

mtbr member
    Also looking for a good option on my town duty Ogre. Not satisfied yet. I have a Greenfield I might mod the top plate to work. I'll post if I do it and it works.
    Scott