I do what I want

Anyone ever tried to call Surly Bikes Intergalatic HQ

Ive been trying to call for about a week now and no one ever picks up, just keeps going on with that stupid recording about "reaching surly bikes intergalatic HQ". I sent an email, never got a response back. Maybe you guys can help

My question/issue: I recently purchases KM from my LBS and when I picked it up I inquired about using Frame Saver on the frame per Surly info on site. The LBS sales guy told me "nah, surly takes care of that, I wouldnt worry about it, most big bike brands doing steel nowadays already take care of that". Now Im no engineer, chemist or big bike mfg, but when i look inside the tubes on the KM I dont see any sort of treatment, just looks like bare steel to me. Im thinking I'd just be better off treating, but have any of you guys heard of surly treating the inside of the frames?
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have a few Surlys, and I treat them all when building.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No, they don't. The Information Hole | Surly Bikes

Their sister company, All-City does ED coating on some of their frames, but not all. No Surlys are, unless I'm mistaken.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Try emailing them, I've always received a response within 4 hours or so.

That said, I rode my KM on salty roads for two winters in college and those tubes were pristine when I disassembled it last year. I really wouldn't stress it. In the spring, pull the BB and apply new plumbers tape and liberal grease.

mtbr member
    ED coating is relatively rare in the steel industry. I have a number of stock and custom steel frames and none of them have ever come treated by default.

BMX companies are all over it, but not so much otherwise.

I think your LBS is misinformed.

Just buy a can and do it yourself. It costs only a couple dollars, and gives you a lot of piece of mind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I own four Surlys and they all need to be coated. Framesaver has been out of stock for a long time now however.

I do what I want
    Thank you all very much for your responses. I did purchase a can of Frame Saver and planned to use it anyhow, figured it couldnt hurt.

One more question, how do you guys keep from getting Frame Saver on the BB threads? Ive read the instructions that come with the can and looked up some others experiences, but nobody mentioned anything about, just wondering if its a big deal to get on the threads or not.
    Guy.Ford

lord of my world
    Doesn't matter if it gets on the threads. You can wipe it off or just leave it there, frame saver stays kind of waxy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Use boiled linseed oil. Messy but works good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    I own four Surlys and they all need to be coated. Framesaver has been out of stock for a long time now however.
    I use this inside frame tubes: Rustoleum Rust Inhibitor

No isues with frames thoughive ony done it for a year and change and none of them live outside. But it works well for tools gardening tools and saw blades. Very easy to spray I side frame tubes with o elf those little straws from a can of WD40 (note I'm not advocating using WD40 on a bicycle...)

mtbr member
    You can't even get real 'Framesaver' in Canada - at least not easily. Any hardware store with some kind of automotive department will have an identical product. Just some sort of goopy rust inhibitor for steel tubing. It's usually sold for car chassis.

I've never heard of a process for this kind of thing that isn't at least a bit messy ...

And it's basically a lubricant, so getting it on any threads is no big deal. It's not enough lube for a BB - you'll still need grease. But the contamination shouldn't be a problem at all.

I do what I want
    Jensonusa.com has Frame Saver in stock, thats where I ordered mine from. Thanks everyone for your assistance and suggestions.

I cant wait to get this thing built, so excited.
    Guy.Ford

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My experience has been good with Frame saver, and it really wasnt that messy. Add the frame saver before you install the headset and BB. Stuff the head tube and BB with some rags to absorb excess spray and follow the instructions on the can. If you can, do it outside over an old sheet or tarp.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the mess I'm referring to is really only the dripping during the drying phase. The rags are a good idea.

I installed a Surly fork immediately after using framesaver, and the goop kept dripping out of the vent holes and contaminating my brake pads and rims for days. Next time I will let it cure a lot longer.

Still want a fat bike....

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    Very cool thanks Dalton
    Guy.Ford